Most powerful eBike for long uphill journeys?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nutter! :)

Is there a way for me to have Strava show your exploits in metric? Using a calculator in the days of computer wizardry is a little boring...

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nutter! :)

Is there a way for me to have Strava show your exploits in metric? Using a calculator in the days of computer wizardry is a little boring...
I'll change them later for you.☺

I did learn today that my bike set up isn't on par with the Swiss guys. Firstly plus size tyres with next to no pressure, offer superb grip and traction, then the gearing that they use is very much better, and perfect for proper climbing. On the Bosch CX motor, the locals all run a 13t front, with an 8 speed cassette with a 48t lowest gear. Then one further surprise, is that they all use 150mm pedal cranks to avoid rock strikes on climbs.

My gearing is 15t up front with a ten speed cassette, which has a 42t lowest gear. My pedal cranks are 175mm.

The altitude today didn't do me any favours, and I felt quite sick and dizzy a few times. I was also struggling for breath, where the other guy didn't. We swapped bikes, and he became out of breath, and I didn't. Gearing is clearly king on matching motors.
I did use less battery consumption, but my gearing made things uncomfortable in respect of cadence. With both of us in lowest gear and matching power settings, my cadence was frustratingly slightly to slow, to ride side by side, and I really needed to pull away to make it work. His cadence was faster, and was at a pace that would have suited me better. Sadly I don't have a cadence meter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
where do they get there 13t from as last one i seen was 50 euro :eek:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I will have to ask. I know that you also need a special 'smaller' locking ring as well.

They also all run tubeless, with a secondary system within that requires you to inflate an inner and outer air chamber. With the sharpness of the rocks and low tyre pressures, pinch flats apparently never happen. I can't remember the name of the system, but the guy that I was with today, was going to send me link.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Well done Eddie. Proper climbing does require low gearing. I have a ride planned next week with over 2700m climbing, not all in one go though as it's not really possible without a drive first for me. I have arranged a hire of a second battery from a local bike hire place that has a load of Yamaha and Bosch powered bikes.

Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The information on gearing is very useful even for us road riders when the roads in question are in the Pyrenees. Marc over at electric trike has been briefing me on short cranks already, he is a bit shorter than me and uses 160 or 155, I think I will be going for 165 mm.

I am using 7 speed because that is what was on the old bike but 8 would be much more practical. The Sunrace 11-40 has been on my wishlist for some time. What derailleur are they using with the 45?

where do they get there 13t from as last one i seen was 50 euro :eek:
50 € is chump change in Switzerland my lad...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Woosh and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The information on gearing is very useful even for us road riders when the roads in question are in the Pyrenees. Marc over at electric trike has been briefing me on short cranks already, he is a bit shorter than me and uses 160 or 155, I think I will be going for 165 mm.

I am using 7 speed because that is what was on the old bike but 8 would be much more practical. The Sunrace 11-40 has been on my wishlist for some time. What derailleur are they using with the 45?

50 € is chump change in Switzerland my lad...:rolleyes:
its still a rip of as look at this.
http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Kettenblaetter/14_Zaehne_Connex_artikel563ba6807e097.html

and 1 less t
http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Kettenblaetter/13_Zaehne_Made_in_Germany_artikel595fcb6780bf1.html

WTF ? i guess its more for less as will go up hill faster and less waight lol :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Hi all,

I'm new here and looking for advice regarding the purchase of an eBike.

Thanks all :)
Seems like the thread has go a bit away from the OP's intention - but certainly lots of interesting points about the related technology, physiology etc.

@IronLung

If you are anywhere near the E. Lancashire / West Yorkshire border - I'll be happy to let you have a go on my e-MTB so see if it does the trick.

It's a Giant with Yamaha motor - goes up just about anything I've tried - on or off road -

It would at least give you some idea if what you want is achievable.

Before anyone chips in - I'm not saying that it's better or worse than any other hill climber - it's just an offer to actually try one out.

PM me if you are close mate.

Cheers
Mike

Reactions: Gaz

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
The 8 speed chainset will be SRAM EX1, it is their e-bike specific one.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/ex1#sm.0001kcyqj07dxd36syo19kt1j8j02

They do front sprockets down to 14t to go with it.
Quite a pricey setup!
Wrote a little about the EX1, read.

Having 48T is great when climbing long uphills. I have a fatbike also with very good traction. You can just sit there and enjoy the journey uphill.

There are other options for that though, but the EX1 is nice.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Related Articles

Advertisers