Most powerful eBike for long uphill journeys?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Can someone who has one confirm whether it's a torque multiplier system or whether it's basically a power switch.
It is a torque multiplier - the harder you push on the pedals the higher the "power meter" on the display goes (and the more assist you get). The higher the assist mode, the less effort it takes on the pedals to get the "power meter" to the top of the display.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

At only 67 kg, it won't take much effort to get up a 20% hill with just about any e-bike. you can take your pick, but it's probably a good idea to keep clear of ones with torque sensors. You might find a throttle useful too.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Bafang BBSHD would be good,i have one built into a MTB and it will climb any hill with next to no effort.
A high quality battery will get the best performance.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Might be a bit off track but I assumed by the reference to Halfords that the OP was wanting to go out and buy one from a shop! Wouldn't this be a fully legal bike?
Am I also right in assuming that features like 750 watts, and riding uphill on throttle alone are not available on bikes bought from a UK bike shop? Hence my earlier confusion over throttles!

Might be a bit off track but I assumed by the reference to Halfords that the OP was wanting to go out and buy one from a shop! Wouldn't this be a fully legal bike?
Am I also right in assuming that features like 750 watts, and riding uphill on throttle alone are not available on bikes bought from a UK bike shop? Hence my earlier confusion over throttles!
Correct. That's where I think there is good middle ground to be found with the likes of a BBS02B 250W motor in the circumstances the OP describes.
It may however be an overly complicated/advanced solution for what OP seeks, but it would certainly deliver on spec., power delivery, durability etc.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We get quite a few new peeps come on here wanting a pedelec to do what the OP wants, they are after a cheaper bicycle solution then a moped but without the tax and insurance etc.
Pedelecs even diy need considerable rider input for any hill unless it is a high power hot rod e- bike.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi all,

However, it seems that some say this bike doesn't actually give out much power for uphill journeys. My MAIN reason for buying an eBike is that it MUST (and I can't stress that enough) be able to let me essentially glide up steep hills with little to no effort.

Can anyone confirm if this bike will indeed be able to get me up a 20% incline with relative ease or are we not yet at that stage for ebikes?

It doesn't need to do 30miles etc.. I'm happy with around 5 miles on full power if it can get me up a 20% incline with little to no effort.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks all :)
For your needs get moped or leccy scooter with tax and insurance.
Pedelecs aren't able to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom Rae
For your needs get moped or leccy scooter with tax and insurance.
Pedelecs aren't able to do that.
I can't agree with you there Neal. I think it's truly viable as a sub 70Kg rider to achieve this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I agree with you there Darren :), for the majority of people.

In the OP's opening post and with his sig/alias name it sounds like he has a medical issue (maybe I'm reading to much in to it) which precludes him from peddling hard or far without serious assistance, if this is the case then nearly all peds/e-bikes aren't able to work for him.
The Big Bear has a damn pretty good power/torque system but would struggle for his requirements and a crank drive is the worse drive system for him, Iron lung needs to clarify his position for a better understanding.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

That's sort of right, but gives the wrong impression. You can still buy a bike in an e-bike shop and have a throttle. It's not illegal to use a throttle. Bike shops are not supposed to sell bikes with full-range throttles, but they can sell them with 4 mph throttles. If you know how (internet search), you can change most 4 mph throttle to full-range yourself - dead easily.

If you want/need a throttle, any of these hub-motored bikes would definitely be suitable: Wisper, Freego, Oxygen, Juicy and Eskuta. I'd take a wild guess and say that you can probably have a throttle fitted to most of the Chinese hub-motored bikes. Check with the dealer, they usually know because many people ask for a throttle.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

IronLung

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2017
UK
Hey all,

Thanks again for helping me in the journey. Here's some more info, hopefully you can help me decide whether this carerra bike is right for me and will do the job.

As one of you cleverly noticed, my name does indeed reflect my current situation. I only have 1 lung, this is due to a car accident I had when I was younger.

As I have got older, my working lung has began to experience numerous issues, and fresh air (no panting) is incredibly soothing for me.

I also use an inhailer, I'm 35yo. Im not fit, but I'm not fat or overweight etc. I'm around 5ft 8" and ~67kg.

I have absolutely no lung capacity whatsoever, puffing and panting is incredibly painful and while not dangerous, can cause me to have panic attracts etc due to feelings of suffocation etc. So I tend to avoid anything that may affect me this way.

However, gliding along a flat surface peacefully on a bike, Breathing in the sea air really does help me physically, mentally and emotionally.

I live in a rural area, in a small village at the bottom of a 20% incline around 3/4 mile long. I can cycle around the village, however, that's around 3 minutes of 1 flat straight road, not much fun to be had there.

I would like to be able to ascend the incline, without really excerting much more effort than if I was still on the flat surface. I'm trying to find a bike that will add power and assist me up the hill without me having to standup or really push harder on the pedals. (The extra pressure in my lung/chest really isn't good for me)

I can however cycle for hours on a flat surface, walk on a flat surface without issue and I don't have any other major show shopping ailments that would affect this.

My budget is (or I would like it to be) around £1000 as then I could use the BTWS to get some discount. However, if there is not a good bike in this range, then of course I will consider other options of say up to £1500ish.

However, this will cause a sever delay in getting the bike, likely Christmas rather than summer, as I really don't have that amount of cash available just yet.

The bike doesn't need to go for 30/40/50 miles. 10 would be sufficient IF it can harness the battery in such a way, that it can essentially flatten out a 20% incline.

I would like to buy one From a store (as this allows for the BTWS) however again, I'm totally flexible if store bought ones will not suffice.

I have seen the Carerra Vulcan E from Halfords and the GTech adverts. Both look interesting, in budget, appear to do what I want, and are both on the BTWS.

However, before I go ahead and just buy one, it seems many if you here are very clued up on this. Motors, throttles, battery's, manufactures etc and I was hoping to utilise that knowledge so assist in getting me the right bike for me.

If the halfords bike will get me up the incline, I'm in, and I can pick one up this weekend. If not, but the GTech will, I can have one delivered by the weekend too. If none of these are suitable, then I am excited to look over new bikes that could achieve what I want to achieve.

I understand the guy who said get a moped. However, this really won't help me moving forward. I want to be mobile again, feel less like a prisoner than I do now, but at the same time, hear the birds, smell the sea air, enjoy the silence and improve my health at the same time.

It's taken a lot to get me to where I am now, it's been depressing, lonely and I've isolated myself almost entirely. Now, understanding that my situation isn't getting any better, I want to reconnect before it's to late, and perhaps extend what I may have previously wanted to end.

I dream that an elect bike can do that!

Last night I fell asleep with thoughts in my head of cycling down to the harbour and the beach near by.

Saying "HI" to old familiar faces, grabbing a sandwich and sitting on the pier listening to the waves crashing against the bantry wall. Then cycling around, the villages nodding and smiling at faces I used to know... Reconnecting, slowly in the hope I haven't left it to late.

It sounds boring, sad, and pathetic... I know. But to me, it really is the squeal to a book, that I genuine thought I wanted to end.

Maybe an electric bike can't do what I need it to do, but I'm reaching out for advice from anyone who knows. Maybe this weekend, I can do what I dreamt about last night and make the sequel better than the original :)

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey all,

Thanks again for helping me in the journey. Here's some more info, hopefully you can help me decide whether this carerra bike is right for me and will do the job.

As one of you cleverly noticed, my name does indeed reflect my current situation. I only have 1 lung, this is due to a car accident I had when I was younger.

As I have got older, my working lung has began to experience numerous issues, and fresh air (no panting) is incredibly soothing for me.

I also use an inhailer, I'm 35yo. Im not fit, but I'm not fat or overweight etc. I just have absolutely no lung capacity whatsoever, and panting is incredibly painful and while not dangerous, can cause me to have panic attracts due to feelings of suffocation etc.

However, gliding along peacefully on a bike, flat road surface, sea air really does help me physically, mentally and emotionally.

I live in a rural area, in a small village at the bottom of a 20% incline around 3/4 mile long. I can cycle around the village, however, that's around 3 minutes of 1 flat straight road, not much fun there.

I would like to be able to ascend the incline, without really excepting much more effort than if I was still on the flat surface. I'm trying to find a bike that will add power and assist me up the hill without me having to standup or really push harder on the pedals. (The extra pressure in my lung/chest really isn't good for me)

I can however cycle fir hours on a flat surface, walk on a flat surface without issue and I don't have any other major show shopping ailments.

My budget is (or I would like it to be) around £1000 as then I could use the BTWS to get some discount. However, if there is not a good bike in this range, then of course I will consider other options of say up to £1500ish.

However, this will cause a sever delay in getting the bike, likely Christmas rather than summer, as I really don't have that amount of cash available just yet.

The bike doesn't need to go for 30/40/50 miles. 10 would be sufficient IF it can harness the battery in such a way, that it can essentially flatten out a 20% incline.

I would like to buy one From a store (as this allows for the BTWS) however again, I'm totally flexible if store bought ones will not suffice.

I have seen the Carerra Vulcan E from Halfords and the GTech adverts. Both look interesting, in budget, appear to do what I want, and are both on the BTWS.

However, before I go ad head and just buy one, it seems many if you here are very clued up on this. Motors, throttled, battery's, manufactures etc and I was hoping to utilise that knowledge so assist in getting me the right bike for me.

If the halfords bike will get me up the incline, I'm in and I can pick one up this weekend. If not, but the GTech will, I can have one delivered by the weekend too. If none of these are suitable, then I am excited to look over new bikes that could achieve what I want to achieve.

I understand the guy who said get a moped. However, this really won't help me moving forward. I want to be mobile again, feel less like a prisoner than I do now, but at the same time, hear the birds, smell the see air, enjoy the silence and improve my health at the same time.

It's taken a lot to get me to where I am now, it's been depressing, lonely and I've isolated myself almost entirely. Now, understanding that my situation isn't getting any better, I want to reconnect before it's to late and perhaps extend what I may have previously wanted to shorten.

I dream that an elect bike can do that. Last night I fell asleep with thoughts in my head of cycling down to the harbour and the beach near by. Saying HI to old familiar faces, grabbing a sandwich and sitting on the pier listening to the waves crashing against the bantry wall. Then cycling around, the villages nodding and smiling at faces I used to know. Reconnecting.

It sounds boring, sad, and pathetic... I know. But to me, it really is the squeal to a book, that I genuine thought I wanted to end.

Maybe an electric bike can't do what I thought, but I'm reaching out for advice from anyone who knows, who knows, maybe this weekend I can do what I dreamt about last night :)
Two thing's from me.
1.. forget the gtech
2. Get to your nearest bike shop that stock's e bikes and ask for a test ride.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello IL,

for your requirements and budget, may I suggest the Woosh Santana CD.
It has a crank drive motor, its climbing performance is outstanding, you can rely on it to take you home on throttle.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

If you are taller than 5ft8, the Woosh Bali may also be worth a look.

Tony

• Useful

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I would forget the gtech to be honest, I think the carreras at Halfords are better at that price and are better specced. Another to consider is the Carrera crossfire e. Similar to the Vulcan, although a hybrid rather than a mountain bike but does have some slightly better components. Although the crossfire e is 1200 they do it on cycle2work at 999 (I got one a week ago so they do have the offer on still but you have to ask and the assistant might need to talk to a manager if they haven't heard of it). They advertise it on cycle2work.info website.

If you want to do some more serious of reading then the Vulcan would be the best choice but from what you've said the crossfire e might be more suitable and a better specced bike for the same price.

I don't know if the carreras will get you up a large 20 percent incline as not tried it but I can tell you that it's quite hilly where I live and mine gets up the hills fine. For me it feels like a constant speed of around 26 kph... Whether on flat or going uphill. If you want to push harder on the flat you can use the gears to pedal harder than that but the motor won't assist until you drop back below that speed. You don't have to push harder if you don't want to though. Once you start pedaling from standing still the assist locks in and if you keep pedaling it will quickly accelerate and get you to around 26 kph.

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
It sounds boring, sad, and pathetic...
Nope, can't agree with you there. Just sounds to me like you've got a hill, and need to get the right bike for it.

Even an eejit like me knows the GTech (and probably the Vulcan) is not going to be the bike for you, so at least you're asking questions rather than rushing in.

Where's the hill? - if you're comfortable saying.

Gaz

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's truly 3/4 mile and 20%, the Carrera won't have enough power. That would be an exceptional hill. hills that steep should have a road sign that says 1 in 5. Show us on Google where the hill is.

• Informative

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Are you sure the hill is 20% and you haven`t misread the map?

You`d be very unlucky if it is and goes on for 3/4 mile.

However it is doable and if all else fails the Bafang BBS mid-drive will deal with that no problems, you can use throttle only or just turn the pedals, you don`t have to exert any great force.

• Informative

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Don`t buy a torque sensing motor because to get to the power you have to use a lot of muscle force and that will demand oxygen use.
A crank motion sensor system is the way to go backed up with a throttle if you start to struggle.

Don`t buy a torque sensing motor because to get to the power you have to use a lot of muscle force and that will demand oxygen use.
A crank motion sensor system is the way to go backed up with a throttle if you start to struggle.
Totally agree nemesis. Thus my recommendation of the BBS02B 250W motor being fit for the purpose.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have just realised.. one of my runs includes a big hill that is around 20% with the steepest bit at 23% according to Strava. I go up there in the lowest gear and full power on a Bosch cx. The problem is that I can't do this at a slow leisurely pace because if the pedal revolutions become too slow the power falls off which forces me to maintain a good pace. Not a problem for me, just giving real world information. I don't think I could ride it up there without a bit of heavy breathing, although my 70 year old pair of lungs might not be much better than the op's single one.

• Informative

Related Articles

Advertisers