Mostly for commute e-bike recommendations please!

Schubert

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 8, 2020
I posted earlier in this forum but my criteria has adjusted a little.

6ft/80kg/fit male wanting a predominantly commute based e-bike (based in Exeter a little hilly). Distance would be 10km a day.

Would like the battery to be integrated (so it doesn't scream e-bike for the thieves) and the lighter the better.
Budget is up to £2500.

I've shortlisted the Woosh Faro, Juicy Ticket, Ribble hybrid Ale but would like any further recommendations and other brands to watch out for.

Also are there any good review sites that you could recommend for other e-bikes? I've come across only a handful like https://ebiketips.road.cc/

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bikes with the Fazua system are worth looking at. Mostly pretty expensive. Cheapest I think are the Bordman's. e.g.

Remember with integrated battery you are more likely to have issues when it comes to battery replacement as the are many more parameters that have to be just right; though recelling should almost always be an option.

ElectricJoe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
If theft is a problem where you'll be leaving the bike, and since 10km isn't actually that far (dont forget, its an electric bike !), and if its per day so only 5km each way , how about a folder that you can take into work?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If theft is a problem where you'll be leaving the bike, and since 10km isn't actually that far (dont forget, its an electric bike !), and if its per day so only 5km each way , how about a folder that you can take into work?
If it's for just work, just take that battery off and into work. That wouldn't be convenient for shopping, walking and other reasons for leaving the bike parked though.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
(so it doesn't scream e-bike for the thieves)
that depends where you park your bike but in Southend rail stations, anything over £1,000 would attract some unwanted attention.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
A few of the lightweight, light assist road ebikes allow you to remove the motor and battery easily although concerns have been raised as to the durability of the locking mechanism. Concerns about the location of the control have been stated (on the crossbar) requiring toggling through settings to find assist level.
You will find as you trawl through reviews there is little difference in weight, assist levels, components and range with many of the choices. So will probably fall to aesthetics.
Using assist levels are best explained in mph, level 1 helpful from stationary to approximately 7-8 mph above which you will not feel any assist unless you drop below that speed. Level 3 or medium assist the same but at 11-12 mph and level 5 or max assist to the restricted speed of 15.5 mph.
If you normally ride your routes at above these speeds on a normal light road bike then you probably do not need to invest in an ebike.
If you drop below these speeds on inclines through lack of fitness or through choice ie fatigue or sweat level, then these ebikes are perfect for you.
One feature of the control on the Faro is the power level indicator which for me is great fun ie let’s say your speed on an incline is hovering around assist speed, you can observe the motor aiding your progress in increments. This spurs me to push a little harder reducing the effort the motor is providing, which I use as a training aid.
Hope your search proves fruitful and believe you will love the versatility of ebikes.