Motor just spinning around, wheel not turning

Courtney97

Just Joined
May 9, 2024
Hi I have an EKX X21 and after recently replacing the planetary gears and reassembled it, (shaft key included )error 24 now shows up on the display and spins around making noise, I’ve heard about phase motor wires being a possibility but I don’t think I messed with any wires.
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Possibly an assembly problem and the clutch isn’t disengaging.

Error 24 is display dependant, hopefully you have a manual that came with the bike with the error code explanations.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi I have an EKX X21 and after recently replacing the planetary gears and reassembled it, (shaft key included )error 24 now shows up on the display and spins around making noise, I’ve heard about phase motor wires being a possibility but I don’t think I messed with any wires.
Any help would be appreciated
Lift the wheel off the ground and see if it turns forwards or backwards. If it goes backwards, your commutation timing is wrong, which is settings or motor wire sequence. if it goes forward, your clutch is not engaging or the key isn't in.

Boedi Prasetya

Just Joined
Apr 27, 2024
I have experienced the same thing with an ebike conversion kit. Initially everything was running normally, suddenly the wheels couldn't turn but I could hear the sound of the BLDC motor spinning. After I replaced the controller with new one, everything worked normally again. The LCD display that I use is SW900 and I see that in the P01 - P16 menu there is no setting that can change the direction of rotation
I know that if the BLDC rotates in reverse it won't move the wheels because behind the planetary gear there is a clutch that only rotates in one direction

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have experienced the same thing with an ebike conversion kit. Initially everything was running normally, suddenly the wheels couldn't turn but I could hear the sound of the BLDC motor spinning. After I replaced the controller with new one, everything worked normally again. The LCD display that I use is SW900 and I see that in the P01 - P16 menu there is no setting that can change the direction of rotation
I know that if the BLDC rotates in reverse it won't move the wheels because behind the planetary gear there is a clutch that only rotates in one direction
If a controller has the self-learning wires, it will randomly change direction if you leave them connected. Some controllers have a pair of jumper wires to reverse direction, though they're not very common these days. Some controllers have a setting in the LCD for motor direction. Apart from those three, there's no way a motor can randomly change direction.

If it goes in the wrong direction from the beginning, and it doesn't have one of those thre ways to reverse it, you fix it by swapping over two phase wires in a sensorless motor or two phase wires and two hall wires in a sensored one.