Motor not engaging? Please Help.

Munks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2021
Hey all!

I have a Ibex Byocycle (below)

And i recently had to replace the battery. However, the problem has continued... basically everything seems to work, LED control comes on with full battery, and when I cycle the motor sounds like its engaging, however there is no power? Can anyone suggest what to do?

Many Thanks!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check two things first.
1.From the hub motor trace the motor cable to the motor - controller connector (it should be somewhere along the chain stay), make sure the connector is fully pushed home (don't just look at it). It physically needs checking that it is fully pushed together as it only needs 1- 2mm for the connection to not work or give a false contact.
After trying 1. and it still doesn't work try 2.

2. Check the PAS sensor and magnet disc, this is located on the BB and is behind the chain ring . First check the magnet disc is firm and secure and can't rotate around the BB shaft by hand, second the gap between the sensor and magnet disc needs to be 1- 2mm max, some have a Red led on the sensor it should blink as the magnets pass the disc.

Munks

Sep 13, 2021
Check two things first.
1.From the hub motor trace the motor cable to the motor - controller connector (it should be somewhere along the chain stay), make sure the connector is fully pushed home (don't just look at it). It physically needs checking that it is fully pushed together as it only needs 1- 2mm for the connection to not work or give a false contact.
After trying 1. and it still doesn't work try 2.

2. Check the PAS sensor and magnet disc, this is located on the BB and is behind the chain ring . First check the magnet disc is firm and secure and can't rotate around the BB shaft by hand, second the gap between the sensor and magnet disc needs to be 1- 2mm max, some have a Red led on the sensor it should blink as the magnets pass the disc.
Thank you Neal!

The connected is fine, and I have replaced the magnet sensor.... However the distance could be the issue! I shall check tomorrow! Much appreciated

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you say that "the motor sounds like it's engaging", what do you mean. If the motor is whirring, then either it's running backwards or the clutch has stuck. There are other potential causes, which would only happen under load. We need to know the background. How did it stop working? Was it fine before you simply changed the battery or did you change the battery because the motor stopped working?

Munks

Sep 13, 2021
When you say that "the motor sounds like it's engaging", what do you mean. If the motor is whirring, then either it's running backwards or the clutch has stuck. There are other potential causes, which would only happen under load. We need to know the background. How did it stop working? Was it fine before you simply changed the battery or did you change the battery because the motor stopped working?
I changed the battery because it was not working, the battery stopped charging, so would only be on the lowest power, but the new battery is now fine and showing full.

Its whirring when I peddle, as it usually would.... And sounds like the motor is working fine at the right time, i.e. stops when I brake, and also whirrs when I push the throttle... But there is no power, so it's just peddle power.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Lift the wheel off the ground and get the motor whirring. See which way the wheel starts to rotate. There should be enough friction in whatever is slipping to drive it in one direction or the other. If it's forwards, your clutch or gears are where to look. If it's backwards, it's your controller.

Munks

Sep 13, 2021
Lift the wheel off the ground and get the motor whirring. See which way the wheel starts to rotate. There should be enough friction in whatever is slipping to drive it in one direction or the other. If it's forwards, your clutch or gears are where to look. If it's backwards, it's your controller.
Many thanks Bro!

So the motor very very slowly rotates forwards when i push the throttle.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Many thanks Bro!

So the motor very very slowly rotates forwards when i push the throttle.
In that case you have no option other than to open the motor to see what's wrong. Three possibilities come to mind in order of probability:
1. The clutch is stuck, probably due to rust, in which case it'll need replacing. There are three rollers in it that roll into wedges to make the drive. Rust can jam them in place or rot the springs that help them on their way. That doesn't happen one day to the next, but if the bike was stored for a month, especially in damp conditions, it goes to the top of the list.
2. The gears stripped. They'd need replacing with or without the clutch. Obviously, that can't happen when the bike is parked overnight. It would happen if you jammed the motor, jumped off a kerb or something like that, or if you're very heavy going up a steep hill, or if the motor went rusty while stored, then you rode the bike, it could happen soon into the ride.
3. The woodruff key is broken so the clutch isn't driven. Same as 2,

All those are relatively easy and cheap to fix, but you have to get your hands a little dirty.

The only thing that worries me is that you would know when any of these things happened. I can't think of any way that you could lose the drive without knowing when or how it happened. Is there something you haven't told us?

Munks

Sep 13, 2021
In that case you have no option other than to open the motor to see what's wrong. Three possibilities come to mind in order of probability:
1. The clutch is stuck, probably due to rust, in which case it'll need replacing. There are three rollers in it that roll into wedges to make the drive. Rust can jam them in place or rot the springs that help them on their way. That doesn't happen one day to the next, but if the bike was stored for a month, especially in damp conditions, it goes to the top of the list.
2. The gears stripped. They'd need replacing with or without the clutch. Obviously, that can't happen when the bike is parked overnight. It would happen if you jammed the motor, jumped off a kerb or something like that, or if you're very heavy going up a steep hill, or if the motor went rusty while stored, then you rode the bike, it could happen soon into the ride.
3. The woodruff key is broken so the clutch isn't driven. Same as 2,

All those are relatively easy and cheap to fix, but you have to get your hands a little dirty.

The only thing that worries me is that you would know when any of these things happened. I can't think of any way that you could lose the drive without knowing when or how it happened. Is there something you haven't told us?
Thanks!

Well it was last year when I took it to the shop because the motor was making more noise than it should. When I took it, he said it needed a new battery? Then didn't get one till now as I haven't needed it.

I can be a bit rough with it sometimes as I did deliveroo with it and it can be out for 4/5 hours at a time.

Its kept in a garage, with a relatively unsealed door so the cold storage could have contributed to it.

After closer inspection, it sounds like the noise is coming from the rim of the wheel, not the centre hub. I don't know if that makes any difference?

I feel like everything is working in order, just its not initiating, so likely to be the gears or clutch like you said. Ill see if i can get inside and have a look!

Many thanks! :)