Motorists vs Cyclists

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Conused has an interesting video of a driver persuaded to ditch the car for a week and cycle here (I'm not promoting confused - honest). The title is theirs not mine... there are a few other interesting bits on there too including the continuation or at least, not debunking, of the VED myth. :rolleyes:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
It is an interesting video and the comments at the bottom of it just reinforce what I keep saying, and that is that cyclists have to put their own house in order before accusing motorists of all evils on the road.

You can forget about helmets because we are not obliged to wear them, it is a personal choice (I do). But when it comes to cyclists riding through red lights, not having lights on the bikes, riding on pavements etc, etc. Until all these types of things are sorted out then there will always be this war of words between motorists and cyclists in the UK.

We all need to look at the things we can change, not the things we can`t.

Steve

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Interesting link z0mb13e, thanks!
It also led me to view the appropriately titled Beauty and the Bike video clip.

I wish we could make ourselves into a better travelling public, but I also know that we just are what we are. Human. So:
Keeping Motorists separate from Cyclists is THE simple recipe for safety (and if done well, for fun too!).
Sadly, the result is often ridiculous, like painted bicycles on roadside car parking (pretence of creating cycle lanes).
Our councillors probably feel good about such 'green' projects. If only they realised where the real glory lies of becoming the cyclist's saviour...

If a fatal incident between a cyclist and motorist would have been preventable with improved infrastructure, and this fact had been knowledge, would this be a case of manslaughter?

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
It is an interesting video and the comments at the bottom of it just reinforce what I keep saying, and that is that cyclists have to put their own house in order before accusing motorists of all evils on the road.

You can forget about helmets because we are not obliged to wear them, it is a personal choice (I do). But when it comes to cyclists riding through red lights, not having lights on the bikes, riding on pavements etc, etc. Until all these types of things are sorted out then there will always be this war of words between motorists and cyclists in the UK.

We all need to look at the things we can change, not the things we can`t.

Steve
Indeed - there are a lot of things that cyclists as a whole need to be doing/not doing for the 'anger' to go away*. Problem is we are not an organised collective (nor would I wish it so) and making sweeping changes that are taken notice of would be difficult.

I like the freedom cycling offers (i.e. I don't have to wear a helmet, or pay someone every year to say my bike is safe to ride, or pay a compulsory and ever increasing insurance fee, or pay an annual duty on my bike) and hope that we don't see regulation to deal with those who appear to be the thorn in motorists sides.

As a motorist I am happy to wait for cyclists and give them a wide berth when passing, and while I don't condone cyclists running red lights and wouldn't feel any sympathy if they get a fixed penalty fine for doing so, I can understand why it is done in certain circumstances, though in others it is clear that they are just taking unnecessary risks.

* And the same applies to a lot of motorists.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Interesting link z0mb13e, thanks!
It also led me to view the appropriately titled Beauty and the Bike video clip.

I wish we could make ourselves into a better travelling public, but I also know that we just are what we are. Human. So:
Keeping Motorists separate from Cyclists is THE simple recipe for safety (and if done well, for fun too!).
Sadly, the result is often ridiculous, like painted bicycles on roadside car parking (pretence of creating cycle lanes).
Our councillors probably feel good about such 'green' projects. If only they realised where the real glory lies of becoming the cyclist's saviour...

If a fatal incident between a cyclist and motorist would have been preventable with improved infrastructure, and this fact had been knowledge, would this be a case of manslaughter?

The bit in Bremen and the attitude of drivers in other (cycle friendly) countries toward cycles is just outstanding and never ceases to amaze.