Motus Hub, rear wheel slipping forward

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We have a Raleigh Motus hub (2016) we bought 2nd hand. It has horizontal rear dropouts, and I have had difficultly stopping the rear wheel getting skewed with the right chain side being pushed forward. We are not hard pedlars, so no undue pressure. When we bough the bike the left hand A/R washer was installed on the outside and the right hand A/R washer on the inside. I moved the right hand one to the outside as shown in all the information I have found on the Alfine 7.

Any comments as how best to fix the issue. Would it be worth putting a grip washer on the inside of the dropout? Do the A/R washers lose their grip with time?

It would be good on horizontal dropouts if they got slightly thicker towards the front, that would still leave adjustment room but prevent slipping.

I noticed a post by Nealh.
Anti rotation (A/R ) washers are they in place should be on the inside of the axle drop out.
AR washers are about 2-3mm thick with a small right angled tab that sits in the drop out.
Do you know the rules for which side A/R washers go in different situations?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With OEM bikes stick with the manufacturers fitting.

With kits it can be different.
On a front fork I fit A/R's inbound as this can prevent fork pinch on the hub if spacing is tight, like the rear if a disc rotor is fitted then spacing on the brake side is sorted first. On the rear of my hubs I have some AR's inbound and some outbound, generally it depends on the spacing but firstly with disc rotors to prevent brake calliper aligning issues. On the brake side usually inbound as my torque arm sits flat on the drop out.