Help! Mounting a Downtube battery on a pannier rack

Martynt74

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2022
I've just installed a BBS02B mid drive unit, and had bought the Yose Power rear rack battery. However at 20AH it weighs a tonne. In hindsight i wish i'd gone for the BBS01B 36V version which would've been sufficient but it's done now!

What i'd ideally like is a 48V 13AH rack mounted battery, however these don't seem available anywhere. I've found a 15AH version but the vendor has said that still weighs 6kg which isn't really any different to my 20AH version.

I've got hold of a 13ah Yose Power hailong downtube battery with the intention of installing it onto a regular pannier rack, however at 36cm long, it seems to be longer than most racks i can find. The Tortec/Topeak ones seem to max out at 34cm which leave around an inch overhanging and looks stupid.

Has anyone else done this and can suggest a decent rack, or possibly a shorter battery?

Martynt74

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2022
Nice one, i hadn't thought it using a bag over it actually, although had considered looking for some strap bungee netting over the top to try and improve the look.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got two waterproof dayglow rucksack covers over my rear pannier rack battery, secured by velcro straps - because one waterproof rucksack cover wasn't waterproof enough to withstand 4 or more hours of heavy rain. But I very much like the bag idea, and might get one for bike tools etc. and strap thed dayglow rucksack covers over it.

Last edited: