Help! Mounting battery to the bike downtube?

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
So my battery is currently too bulky to fit current holes in my bikes, any ideas what to do?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So my battery is currently too bulky to fit current holes in my bikes, any ideas what to do?

View attachment 39248

View attachment 39249
I/We need to see a picture of the whole area of where the battery should go, as you cut off the RH end in the second Photo.....
Also, one showing the vertical depth would also be good.
Just use high quality picture mode and stand a yard further back.
My impression is that you just need to place the mounting bolts better, farther to the rear or front, but not even being 100% sure which is which, but without those extra pictures.....too unclear.
Thanks
Andy

Reactions: mt247

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I/We need to see a picture of the whole area of where the battery should go, as you cut off the RH end in the second Photo.....
My impression is that you just need to place the mounting bolts better, farther to the rear or front, but not even being 100% sure which is which, but without those extra pictures.....too unclear.
Thanks
Andy
Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Trying to mount battery here the downtube, but those existing screw holes are too close to the bottom bracket.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Difficult to see, but is that hole at the opposite end of the key lock, a mounting hole?

If it is, then you might get away with mounting the baseplate to the frame using universal cage mounts:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/zefal-gizmo-iii-universal-cage-mounts-chizc199a/

If not, then I wouldn't trust cage mounts just at the bottom end of the baseplate. There wouldn't be enough support.

See picture below for how I mounted my baseplate. I'm using 4 universal cage mounts altogether. The 2 nearest the motor utilise the existing studs in the frame and the 2 on the left are attached to the frame using the Zefal fixing ties.

PXL_20201111_221352765.jpg

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Difficult to see, but is that hole at the opposite end of the key lock, a mounting hole?

If it is, then you might get away with mounting the baseplate to the frame using universal cage mounts:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/zefal-gizmo-iii-universal-cage-mounts-chizc199a/

If not, then I wouldn't trust cage mounts just at the bottom end of the baseplate. There wouldn't be enough support.

See picture below for how I mounted my baseplate. I'm using four universal cage mounts altogether. The 2 nearest the motor utilise the existing studs in the frame and the 2 on the left are attached to the frame using the Zefal fixing ties.

View attachment 39252

Thanks for the idea, are zip ties strong enough though? Should I use clamp hose etc.

I'm not quite sure how to remove this bottom part from this hailong battery, I opened it key and should I slide it after t hat?
battery missing.png

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the idea, are zip ties strong enough though? Should I use clamp hose etc.
The zip ties are ok for my set-up, because the 2 mounts nearest the motor have longer bolts to attach to the original water bottle frame mounts. I believe there are full metal universal cage mounts out there, which would probably be better suited. You can always use velcro straps to provide extra security for the battery too.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It doesn't look far off. Can't you lengthen the slots with a Dremmel? That's what I've had to do with just about all downtube battery installations.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
It doesn't look far off. Can't you lengthen the slots with a Dremmel? That's what I've had to do with just about all downtube battery installations.
New picture, it's pretty far off.

Ok blue my bike waterbottle mounts and red circle is the mounting points of the battery mount.

IMG_20201112_004347_LI (2).jpg

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
How would you use rivnuts?
You drill a hole the size of the rivnut body in the frame, drill a 5.5 mm hole in two strips of scrap steel, insert the rivnut in the frame, place the strips over it and screw in the 5mm cap screw while holding the rivnut down. If you're lucky, the rivnut will tighten in the frame and rivet itself in when you tighten the cap screw. Sometimes it starts to spin, in which case, with the cap screw in, you drive a wedge between the two strips of steel, which usually pulls the rivnut enough to lock it, then you can carry on tightening the cap screw until the rivet is fully formed. Choose rivnuts with the biggest colaryou can find:

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
You drill a hole the size of the rivnut body in the frame, drill a 5.5 mm hole in two strips of scrap steel, insert the rivnut in the frame, place the strips over it and screw in the 5mm cap screw while holding the rivnut down. If you're lucky, the rivnut will tighten in the frame and rivet itself in when you tighten the cap screw. Sometimes it starts to spin, in which case, with the cap screw in, you drive a wedge between the two strips of steel, which usually pulls the rivnut enough to lock it, then you can carry on tightening the cap screw until the rivet is fully formed. Choose rivnuts with the biggest colaryou can find:
Not sure If I want to drill more holes to frame. I wast thinking about if I make this kind of battery mount adapter which I screw in place of the current bottle mount holes and then to battery mount.
mount.jpg

Would something like this work with clamp hoses?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not sure If I want to drill more holes to frame. I wast thinking about if I make this kind of battery mount adapter which I screw in place of the current bottle mount holes and then to battery mount.
View attachment 39256

Would something like this work with clamp hoses?
2 rivnuts are not enough to hold a heavy battery like that. If you don't want to add any more, you're going to have to come up with a rigid strapping system. Whatever you use, you have to support the receiver properly so it can't rock from side to side.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
2 rivnuts are not enough to hold a heavy battery like that. If you don't want to add any more, you're going to have to come up with a rigid strapping system. Whatever you use, you have to support the receiver properly so it can't rock from side to side.

I could use these to get more mounting spots: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dmr-hinged-clamps-1

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020

See picture below for how I mounted my baseplate. I'm using 4 universal cage mounts altogether. The 2 nearest the motor utilise the existing studs in the frame and the 2 on the left are attached to the frame using the Zefal fixing ties.

View attachment 39252
I think I'll try this, How does the plastic hold up though?