MTB Build

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
I want to build a mountain bike. After finding the joys of a City thunder I want something a bit lighter than the 24kg.
Not carrying bikes for miles these days but at least possible to lift over a dry stone wall.

I have a carbon fibre MTB frame that is super light but it had discs on the back and has no V brake lugs.

I have found some via a link on the pedelecs forum.
Bafang 36v/250w brushless hub and great joy they can have a rear disc.

Are the motors any good and does this sound workable or is it back to the drawing board.

Thanks

mart

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Suzhou Bafang motors are good and trusted by several mainstream manufacturers.

The motor with multi sprocket freewheel fitted will be quite wide, around 135 to 145 mm, so check on your rear frame dropout separation to see if one will fit without unduly stressing the rear frame.

These motors have considerable torque and can twist the spindle within the dropouts causing damage, so it would be desirable to fit a torque arm on the spindle to prevent any possibility of damaging your carbon fibre frame, also severing the motor cables.

You'll also need to consider how you are going to mount the battery securely, which on a 36 volt system will be quite large.

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
I never thought about wheel width, just shows how good this site is and talking to people who have done it before.
After a mad fearful rush to the garage the frame drop out is 135.
So one step nearer.
Batteries, Bottle type may be possible depending on price, or carry the battery in a rucksack. Sounds strange I know but common practice amongst MTB types and just have to leave the flask of coffee out.

Are there any UK suppliers for Bafang ?

Thanks
Mart

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Mart, I've got the Galileo which is similar to the City Thunder but only 24V and more of an MTB. The last time I spoke to Hamant he mentioned that he was thinking of upping the power of the Galileo. Might be worth investigating further?