Mwmotor brompton conversion

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Who is this colin providing additional 349mm rims?

Be careful with your setup, you have probably an additional 8 kg all on the front of your bike. The hinge does not bear that well all this additional weight and may bend slightly over time.

It happened to my brompton and my heavy battery pack, now it's not that easy to fold

I have 7,500 miles on my Brompton now with an extra 11kg on the front. Nothing bent, broken or damaged so far.

I have seen hugely fat people riding Bromptons which would have far more weight on the front forks than mine does with its extra 11kg. It also therefore depends how heavy you are to start with. :)

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Who is this colin providing additional 349mm rims?

Be careful with your setup, you have probably an additional 8 kg all on the front of your bike. The hinge does not bear that well all this additional weight and may bend slightly over time.

It happened to my brompton and my heavy battery pack, now it's not that easy to fold
Thanks cwah.

This is my first setup and at the end I will put the battery pack at the rear rack pannier bag.

It is easy to control in that way.

Anyone has a good solution about the hook? I wish I can get a extension block from Colin...:(

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi, will front hinge really bend folding with that load? Oops, I've been putting 10kg shopping in front basket & folding :) So if that's overloading, electrics AND shopping will be way over :-D

Re the axle cover, see if shops still have those nylon caps with cutout, that were used on the rhs of Rear axle to protect indicator chain (and your shins ;-))? They wouldn't keep water out but might protect wiring! (for 10mm axle, yes?) If it fits with hook of course, oops2. Was old wire hook thinner?
Thanks. Do you have a photo to show what is this nylon cap look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Unfortunately I can't upload pics from this pesky winfone :-( sorry.
Simpsons cycles only have the plain plastic cap that splits & falls off, and this 'cable fender washer ', which might protect but def won't cover Brompton Cable fender loop to replace right hand tab washer for front
They do have the 5sp Indicator Roller guide that could be used without the roller, needs a special tabbed washer to locate it, but it sticks out a lot & the cable would be holding it on rather than vice versa. Brompton guide roller for 5 speed Strumey Archer hub
SJS cycles only seem to have the plain covers in 13mm & 15mm sizes, cheap though, SJS Cycles, and a Sturmey 'fulcrum cover' that may foul the hook SJS Cycles.
Possibility 1 of these Battery Terminal Covers might fit Battery Terminal Covers: Polevolt Ltd...
Think I'm not really helping, I'll go back to lurking :) Cheers, Mike

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Just a quick update for my brompton.

It has been around 2500 miles and the motor is still going strong.

I have changed the new brompton brake levers with brake cutout sensor on my front. Also, rather than using KU65, I am using S06P controller.

Depends on the time I have, I might swap the motor with Q100

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q100 needs a hall sensor controller. It won't run very well with the S06P. You need the S06S.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Yes of course that would be done at the same time. It would be great if they have a S06S with waterproof connections