MXUS xf07 270rmp general discussion & info

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Just a pre-emptive thread for current & future happenings with any MXUS xf07 (front) or other MXUS not necessarily purchased from PSWpower.

I ordered mine yesterday, so they will have about 4 or 5 left in the German Warehouse, I will update on additional fees if any are added (VAT, Courier notices or Duty) it should be shipped by DHL and according to the info should have VAT already applied however there was no mention of it at the POS although it was a hint on the payment invoice under "shipping & TAXES" but not actual "UK VAT" however I am expecting an additional £52 to be spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpio

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, I'm interested to know what you think about the XF07 when you start to use it, I have been looking at getting a XF08 (rear) to upgrade my Yose / KT kit.

How does it compare power / torque etc, and is it plug-n-play compatible with Yose / KT kit? ( I know I'll need to use an extension as the XF.. has a short motor cable fitted), is the motor the same physical size as Yose (so rim & spokes can be swapped over?)
What motor do you have now (Yose front 250W ?), and what made you decide to get a new motor?

Bookmarked and watching wih interest. Hope it all goes well for you ! :)

Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
and is it plug-n-play compatible with Yose / KT
I hope so pml... Not got it yet but... Yes, from PSW it actual comes with a KT36/48 sinewave KTLCD5 (preferred LCD4; first world problem I guess) by the looks of the picy + @Sturmey also mentioned his came with a dual voltage. It has the 9 pin motor so it should be plug & play, the cable is 25cm so I got 4x 50cm extension cables, should need 3 and have a spare. The Yose[front] comes with a 1m+ of cable but as time took it's toll the cable got worn and I feel that this is what is wrong with mine, an internal damaged cable and judging by the motor internal wiring it would be virtually impossible to re-cable. Oh I am pretty sure I popped the bearing, that side plate would not come off.
20220529_113333.jpg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We got an XF07 from Woosh around 4 years ago and it has been very good.
Not particularly powerful though, especially for our tandem; very helpful on the hills, but still needs quite a bit of work from us! We were warned at the time, but there was very little legal choice from any supplier in 700c wheel at that time.

If you look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits and search down to WHICH MOTOR? you will see ratings compared to some other motors; not Yose ones though.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017 and Scorpio

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I recently bought a Yose Power front motor kit in 26" size.

The motor is marked as AKM. In comparison to the Bafang SWX02, it has nowhere near the torque and it is quite noisy.
I did a comparison hill climb, AKM (Yose Power) on 26" and Bafang SWX02 (G20.250 model) on a 700C wheel, the Bafang got the bike up the hill far more quickly and surprisingly, it used fewer Wh doing so.

It's ok, it does the job, but I would have preferred performance like the SWX02. I've never had a MXUS, that would be an interesting comparison.

It's interesting to see the torque comparison on the Whoosh site. However, I think these are manufacturer's quoted values and not real world numbers.

Reactions: PC2017 and Scorpio

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
powerful though
Is that something to do with wheel size? what voltage?

it has nowhere near the torque and it is quite noisy.
I can only speak about the older YOSE, I don't think mine is AKM but I found a squarewave controller made it noisy and 48v improved my torque

Try the Grin ebike motor simulator I didn't understand it much but got a vague idea of what to expect from a MXUS

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Is that something to do with wheel size? what voltage?
Our wheel size is 700c so quite big. I'm not sure of the winding on our XF07, or whether they can come with different winding speeds.

is only a simulated model, but indicates it reaches peak efficiency at around 18mph. A peak at 12mph or so and correspondingly better performance around 6mph would be more suitable for us. We rarely get to 15mph as it is except on downhill.

It it still on 36v as supplied. At one point I asked about running it at 48v, but somebody (Maybe Tony at Woosh???) suggested it was a bit small and could have heat issues if driven that much harder. The simulation above does allow one to put in 48v, but doesn't model overheat.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
to put in 48v
I'll find out soon, although I have considered lowering the amp draw(LCD3) and/or limiting speed and worse case I have 2x 36v batteries and they are in good shape

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Some quick photos
a tad smaller that the YOSE front, looking sweet though! Might treat myself to an LCD4 and sell the LCD5

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD5 afaik has all the same functions as lcd3 & 4, so one can change the parameters in the P & C settings.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a small motor I don't think one can get much better then the Bafang G370 for a front hub, it has the grunt to carry me and a laiden trailer of 80kg without an issue and that is only in using PAS1 or 2 + the bonus of riding unpowered very easily. At 1.6kg it packs a mighty punch.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Our wheel size is 700c so quite big. I'm not sure of the winding on our XF07, or whether they can come with different winding speeds.

is only a simulated model, but indicates it reaches peak efficiency at around 18mph. A peak at 12mph or so and correspondingly better performance around 6mph would be more suitable for us. We rarely get to 15mph as it is except on downhill.

It it still on 36v as supplied. At one point I asked about running it at 48v, but somebody (Maybe Tony at Woosh???) suggested it was a bit small and could have heat issues if driven that much harder. The simulation above does allow one to put in 48v, but doesn't model overheat.

Increasing the voltage in most cases will be fine. I've run small 250W Voilamart motors at around 60V continuously without problems. I've even run one at 72V once. Check your controller and LCD are fine with increasing voltages though.

Volts are not what makes your motor get hot, it's the current. Higher voltages will help you climb better, but it tends to shift the max efficiency point to higher speeds and if you only want to go along at low speed, you may lose efficiency.

If you want more grunt off the line without shifting max efficiency to higher speeds you can increase the amps, but then you are risking getting things hot.

Have a play with the simulations and try different currents and voltages.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks, yes. I think the easiest solution would be the same motor in a 16" front wheel, but that might have other disadvantages like the front pedals hitting the road? (It would also help me mount the crossbar, which is becoming more of an issue as age advances.)

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
it's the current.
Was thinking about trying it on 48v at 14a(not continuous) or less and as mentioned if that causes heat issues I'll swap out the 48v for 36v

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
a tad smaller that the YOSE front, looking sweet though! Might treat myself to an LCD4 and sell the LCD5
I have the LCD4 and like it a lot, it gives me P,C, and the "other" menu (extended C ?), nice and compact. The only downside is it has no display to show the current being taken by the motor, I think only the larger diplays (LCD3 etc?) show the current.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
LCD4 and like it a lot
Probably more of a whim, for me, ever since I thought about de-cluttering the handlebar I have fancied one, LCD3 shows watts and voltage I can't say I have ever done a deep dive on what the LCD4 actually displays. The question is would any one want to buy an LCD5, I can't say I am over keen however I haven't seen it yet it's still in transit, I suppose if you stick to one level of PAS for any given journey it would be ok but I am constantly on my PAS levels esp in the winter months.

On a Mxus side of things and after sneaking a peek on the Woosh website at their Mxus 36v - I think I can get away with 13a-14a @ 48v circa max 700w(briefly)[14a/1.1=12.72a x 54=686w], they run theirs with a 36v 18a Lishui which would max at 756w

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Only had a quick peek in the box, but I did receive a 36/48v controller, a Mxus branded motor and some fixings. It appears to be the same size as the YOSE front. Wheel may need a nip up on the spokes. Oh & no extra charges in my transaction from the Germany warehouse.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If anyone wants a high voltage ebike light, hit me up. I ordered mine from aliexpress before this kit arrived, the motor cable is 25cm but they do send 1.3m motor extension, so again, if anyone's needs a 50cm motor extension cable I will soon have a few spare. :(
The controller to LCD connector is 5 to 1 as the LCD cable is 5 to 1, I am sure I will be able to use that controller on a 4 to 1 cable as it's female, tbh it's the first time I have seen a 5 to 1.

20220606_094053.jpg