My bum hurts

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
recently bought an XDuro. Love the bike but the saddle is not too comfy.

What nice comfy saddle do people recommend for a slightly overweight 40 something with a bad back?

Is it worth buying a Brooks? And if so which one?

Cheers peeps

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Got my Brooks Swift Ti saddle back in 2004, superb it has to be said, although I don't have an ebike, that saddle has got me from Manchester to Scotland on a number of occasions.

If I was ever to get a new saddle, and that is doubtful, it would be a similiar design, but from Gilles Berthoud, just like a Brooks but better finished.

At the end of the day a saddle is a personal choice, so there is no perfect answer.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The perfect answer
IMG_1403.JPG

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Had all sorts over the years, but finally tried a Brooks B17 about 6 years ago. It was a revelation - I'd expected it to take ages to break in but it was comfortable from the start after a bit of preliminary treatment with Proofide, and it's got better with the years. So good that I got another one for my other bike - equally good.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I've a spare Brooks B17 if you want to give one a try before you buy.

Gaz

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi

Cut and pasted my response to a previous similar thread:

<< Another vote from me for the Lidl 'Witkopp Medicus' saddle when they have them in. Sensible price .. even if taking a gamble.
I know saddle comfort is subjective but over a period of time I notice quite a few people agree with me about their comfort.
At the last count they did three different models:
Mountain....thin and pointy .. uncomfortable for me
Trekking... bit wider and perfect for me
City ... really wide .. and again, surprisingly ..uncomfortable for me.

I've got the trekking version now on all three bikes (and a spare in a box!!) >>

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Saddles are complex things.
It is worth reading the RIDO saddle web page.
I used a Rido, it's quite good but unfortunately the frame is hollow tubing not solid steel wire and is therefore not strong enough and snaps.
However, the principle of the Rido is that you can slide forward or back on it, thus taking your weight off one part and using your haunches.
I have said it before but narrow saddles where all your weight is taken by the centre of your crotch is a proctologists nightmare.
You need to start by sitting on something hard like a wooden chair or concrete slab for 5 minutes or so. You will then be well aware of the points on your bum that correspond to the ends of your pelvis.
Either do it yourself, or get a very good friend to measure the distance between the sore points, This will give you an idea of how wide a saddle you need.
Too much sponginess is not a good thing as you will wobble all over the place.
Leather saddles have the advantage that the leather stretches and shrinks to fit your anatomy.
Disclaimer: This is just my view, google other answers.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
You need to start by sitting on something hard like a wooden chair or concrete slab for 5 minutes or so. You will then be well aware of the points on your bum
Or go to a specialized dealer as they have a squidgy pad /seat that dose the same thing, also it's worth asking the same dealer about specialized "refund / exchange if not satisfied" policy. I tried several saddles before chosing a Milano gell, 2000 miles later & I have now moved onto and recomend the Wittkop saddle from lidl

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
A saddle is a very funny thing to suggest if was been honest what might sort one might no suit you

It really depends on the measurement of your pelvis bones everyone has didn't shapes and sizes.

my best advice to give you would be to get some tin foil and cut a sector as big as a chair and place it down with no marks in it at all and then sit on it then it will leave a in print of your sit bones on where they are this would determine which saddle would be right for you

The most important thing about buying a saddle is making sure you don't get no chaffing or rubbing if this does occur then your sit bones are not sitting on the saddle properly and will within time it can cause chronic pain
and can leave you been numb in the groin area their is no cure for this at all
via medical field so I have been told but make sure you buy the correct saddle to suit you first to prevent this from happening

it has been knowing for cyclists to spend £1000 on saddles to get the right one to fit them it could be the cheapest saddle on the market to one of the most expensive saddle on the market to suit you.

i just bought a ISM seat because i have been told 90% of people the saddle it would fit with no further problems at all but it must be settle up properly for this to happen

i could be easy in the saddle now all day with no further problems at all if i needed to be

bobtail

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2017
essex
Hi

Cut and pasted my response to a previous similar thread:

<< Another vote from me for the Lidl 'Witkopp Medicus' saddle when they have them in. Sensible price .. even if taking a gamble.
I know saddle comfort is subjective but over a period of time I notice quite a few people agree with me about their comfort.
At the last count they did three different models:
Mountain....thin and pointy .. uncomfortable for me
Trekking... bit wider and perfect for me
City ... really wide .. and again, surprisingly ..uncomfortable for me.

I've got the trekking version now on all three bikes (and a spare in a box!!) >>
Tony, just wanted to thank you for your original post. Lidl have these on offer again and after reading your comments I took a chance on the trekking model and I'm glad I did. Not that £7.99 is too much of a risk. My old saddle took all the weight in the middle, not under my sit bones, so wasn't great. I'd bought a shapely 'gel' cover from Lidl and that helped but it slipped about a lot on the shiny saddle and was far from perfect. The Wittkkop felt a bit solid in the shed so I added the cover and took it for a 35 mile run. Brilliant! It was only my third ride of the year and by far the longest but I wasn't walking like John Wayne afterwards. The cover fits better and stayed put and the combination - mainly down to the saddle I think - was really comfortable, kept me in place and gave much better support. A huge improvement. So thanks for your recommendation. As has been said, everyone's backside is different, but this works well enough for me and you can't argue with that price.