My choice of bike

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
It’s just possible that my introductory posts have generated an interest in my choice of E-Bike. I thought it would be helpful if I shared my thought processes leading to my eventual decision. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line, also known as the Cinder Track, and part of the National Cycle Network Route 1. My old “bone shaker” was causing more aches and pains so I started looking for a new bike with suspension, which soon led me to consider the purchase of an E-Bike. Why should a 70 year old even be thinking of an E-Bike I hear you ask, dear reader. Surely, you should be thinking of laying up your bike clips and buying a mobility scooter instead. Alas, some people become old before they are wise.

All the advice about E-Bikes includes the very sensible refrain “Try before you buy.” Wise advice indeed. The difficulty occurs when we find ourselves in the middle of a Coronavirus lockdown. Stay at home - Save Lives - Protect the NHS, they said. My nearest E-Bike shop is at York, some 45 miles away, which made “Try before you buy” a criminal activity. The Internet has an incredible capacity to confuse mere mortals such as myself. Brands, styles of bike and shades of Lycra abound and all information is contradictory. I learnt about Pedelecs and read, in particular, the advice for first timers.

I suppose, in the end, we make decisions based upon trust. I had bought a Brompton from my York cycle shop some years ago and trusted them. I started a conversation and narrowed my focus to a few brands and models. Then it was a case of looking at E-Bike reviews on YouTube - particularly Citrus Cycles at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada. The reviewer certainly puts the bikes through their paces. Instead of a sedate ride on a sunny day in California, during which we learn very little, the Citrus reviewer takes the bikes out in the rain, mud and hills. We learn a lot about the bikes capabilities but, of course, we didn’t “Try before we buy.” What use is a quick pedal up and down the road outside the shop?

So Jonah. With apologies. I’m not going to name the bike I decided to buy, just yet. I will do that in my next post.

Last edited:

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
It’s just possible that my introductory posts have generated an interest in my choice of E-Bike. I thought it would be helpful if I share my thought processes leading to my eventual decision. I live adjacent to the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line, also known as the Cinder Track, and part of the National Cycle Network Route 1. My old “bone shaker” was causing more aches and pains so I started looking for a new bike with suspension, which soon led me to consider the purchase of an E-Bike. Why should a 70 year old even be thinking of an E-Bike I hear you ask, dear reader. Surely, you should be thinking of laying up your bike clips and buying a mobility scooter instead. Alas, some people become old before they are wise.

All the advice about E-Bikes includes the very sensible refrain “Try before you buy.” Wise advice indeed. The difficulty occurs when we find ourselves in the middle of a Coronavirus lockdown. Stay at home - Save Lives - Protect the NHS, they said. My nearest E-Bike shop is at York, some 45 miles away, which made “Try before you buy” a criminal activity. The Internet has an incredible capacity to confuse mere mortals such as myself. Brands, styles of bike and shades of Lycra abound and all information is contradictory. I learnt about Pedelecs and read, in particular, the advice for first timers.

I suppose, in the end, we make decisions based upon trust. I had bought a Brompton from my York cycle shop some years ago and trusted them. I started a conversation and narrowed my focus to a few brands and models. Then it was a case of looking at E-Bike reviews on YouTube - particularly Citrus Cycles at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada. The reviewer certainly puts the bikes through their paces. Instead of a sedate ride on a sunny day in California, during which we learn very little, the Citrus reviewer takes the bikes out in the rain, mud and hills. We learn a lot about the bikes capabilities but, of course, we didn’t “Try before we buy.” What use is a quick pedal up and down the road outside the shop?

So Jonah. With apologies. I’m not going to name the bike I decided to buy, just yet. I will do that in my next post.
Well, now I won’t be able to sleep tonight!!

StrawHatMan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2020
I’m sorry that so many people had a sleepless night wondering where this story is going! So, back to my choice of E-Bike. My requirements were:

1. Able to cope with the Cinder Track - the old Scarborough to Whitby railway line, which is quite bumpy in places.
2. Provide power to assist me up some fairly steep hills.
3. Range to allow a trip to Whitby and back. > 40 miles .
4. Reliable. I don’t want any technical gremlins but I can cope with a flat tyre.

I started looking on the websites of the usual suspects - Evans, Halfords as well as different brands and local bike shops. In my mind was a traditional man’s bike with a crossbar - but then I started thinking. What if I became less mobile as I got older? Would a “step through“ extend my cycling longevity? The next question is, of course “What is available for a 6ft 3” 13.5 stone chap who is getting on a bit? (I’m 70.) “Why do so many hybrid bikes have such high seats?” Am I wasting my money at my age? And, of course, my beloved kindly reminded me that I had already had a heart attack and “died” on top of a Scottish mountain (everyone should have their very own American Paramedic on hand when needed.)

I went to the Riese and Müller website and started looking at their diamond frame bikes and some others which have full suspension. Excellent bikes but so expensive! How could I possibly justify the cost to my beloved? It was then that I started to seriously consider the idea of a step through. My attention was drawn towards a R&M Nevo GT and I went to the Citrus Cycles review of the bike on YouTube. The review last for over 1 hour 30 mins and includes a comprehensive test ride. Mud, gravel, hills and rain - everything that Vancouver Island could sling at it. And all along, the reviewer was calmly and clearly telling us about the bike. It seemed perfect for me and I was about to leap. Then I saw that the next YouTube video was about the R&M Homage - again it was a long and comprehensive review.

Readers, I ordered this bike there and then. My R&M Homage Vario GT arrived at the bike shop on time yesterday and is due to be delivered next week. The cost cannot be justified, unless one compares it with two months in a care home. No cruises or extravagant overseas holidays for us over the next few years (ok - we never did either anyway.) From next week I’ll be riding my E-Bike. I’ll let you know how I get on in my new thread - Riese and Müller Homage GT Vario. Can’t wait.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I slept like a log again what someone chooses as a bike makes no difference to me so not bothered at all if the make or type is divulged or not.