My first bike accident in 33 years!

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

For the reasons you have mentioned, I have had rear mirrors added to all my bikes over the last 20 years or so, plus a helmet mirror, as I am worried about doing the same. I would not be without all three mirrors. I never need to turn around!
Andy

Can you (or anyone) recommend a good rear view miror? The ones I've tried are too short to show anything other than me, or too small a surface area; showing too tiny a view behind me. By the time you see anything, it's imminently about to zoom past you.

Helmet mirrors: Would the steel rod holding the mirror, skewer one's skull through an eye socket or nasal cavity in a collision?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Sorry to hear of your off Pentium, hope you recover soon.

Once you are up to it, take your BBS01 and battery off and stick it on a bike with 29"/700c wheels instead, your wheels will then roll over those big sticky out things instead of you

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Sorry to hear of your off Pentium, hope you recover soon.

Once you are up to it, take your BBS01 and battery off and stick it on a bike with 29"/700c wheels instead, your wheels will then roll over those big sticky out things instead of you

Thanks egroover. I got off lucky - no blood lost, not a scratch! That I can't currently lift anything with my left arm because of my wrist, or straighten out my right arm, is small stuff. That BMX helmet with jawguard saved me. And my teeth. Definite flashing blue light situation without it. Plus Dental.

Yes, I'm sure you're right... with front and rear suspension, massive thick tyres, suspension seatpost, massive wheels would smooth out a lot but I need my small folder's small folding utility, for travel and work. It still fits into a large shopping bag:

I had walked it home (not folded), when I spotted that the front fork and wheel has spun a complete 360 degrees after hitting that 6 inch tall tree root under the tarmac - it's a good job I left the Bafang wires loose, rather than cutting them short:

I was worried about the battery, but it hasn't burst into flames and burned down my home, yet.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02_01.JPG
:p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike has 3 modes off turbo or crash move or be destroyed ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you (or anyone) recommend a good rear view miror? The ones I've tried are too short to show anything other than me, or too small a surface area; showing too tiny a view behind me. By the time you see anything, it's imminently about to zoom past you.

Helmet mirrors: Would the steel rod holding the mirror, skewer one's skull through an eye socket or nasal cavity in a collision?
Zefal Cyclops. Nothing comes close.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
For the reasons you have mentioned, I have had rear mirrors added to all my bikes over the last 20 years or so, plus a helmet mirror, as I am worried about doing the same. I would not be without all three mirrors. I never need to turn around!
Andy
Mirror is a good thing and helmet is also something i may get soon as just is being sensible .

D

Deleted member 33385

Mirror is a good thing and helmet is also something i may get soon as just is being sensible .

We never wore helmets in the 80s! I wouldn't dream of not wearing one now - the outcome of the accidents I had back then would have been less damaging, in more than a few, but not all. I'm going to get some more jawguard helmets for different weathers. After that head bashng experience (and near miss face bashing and scraping), I'm now a total convert. Hope I don't start evangelising. New converts to anything are usually fanatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amoto65

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41380View attachment 41381

View attachment 41382
:cool:

Very cool helmets Lord Vader!

This isn't - there must be a market for this sort of thing, but who could these be for?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 33385

my bike has 3 modes off turbo or crash move or be destroyed ;)

That's a great theme tune! Bloody difficult making a good theme tune, but there are chord sequences that a lot of people usually tend to use, just like there's a handful of chord sequences usually used in pop hits. Popular Techno/Dance/Electronic could be anything at all, lots of Fs though...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

The trouble with buying helmets like that online of course, is that it's easy to buy something you end up having to return...Does that come with internal pads of different thicknesses, that you can swap to get the best fit? Mine was supplied with some interchangeable pads, and it fits great.

Also, does the Rampage Carbon Pro have removable and washable jaw/cheek pads? Mine doesn't, which is annoying, but the other pads are removable and washable.

That helmet has great airflow, would be better than mine for the summer... Why are the good helmets never available in dayglow with huge reflective strips? I worry that glue on sticky reflective strips could degrade helmet plastic over time, but I've done it anyway. Despite that, tree roots refuse to move out of the way when they see me approaching.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is not adjustable but you can remove the inside for cleaning and the cheek pads but it clamps to your head so there is no way for it to twist with it on.

D

Deleted member 33385

it is not adjustable but you can remove the inside for cleaning and the cheek pads but it clamps to your head so there is no way for it to twist with it on.

Than you Soundwav, that's good to know!

Mine twisted on impact a little, not sure if that helped reduce the probability of brain damage (many would argue that I'm brain damaged already), a bit like MIPS helmets, which are designed to rotate a small, controlled distance. The top of my neck hurts today - head butting the ground is what did it. Would my neck hurt more if my helmet didn't twist? I guess it's a tradeoff between the risks of brain damage and those of neck damage, as to whether or not your helmet twists in an impact.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015