My first bike accident in 33 years!

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

Zefal Cyclops. Nothing comes close.

Cheers vfr, I've ordered the larger but similar Zefal (eyes, y'know). I hope to spot dangerous tree roots snaking under the tarmac to overtake me...
When the mirror arrives, I'll look into it. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

...turns out that the impact with the tree root sticking out from under tarmac on the side of the road, had loosened a spoke nipple - noticed it while spinning the front wheel. I screwed it back onto the spoke by hand for now (ordering a spoke tool), not sure how much of a problem it is - the wheel is still true, which is impressive. I had a very enjoyable 24 mile ride last night speeding along at 24+ MPH on my way to work, that nipple hasn't loosened, so it might tolerate tightening; nipple's and/or spoke thread might not be completely destroyed.

It'd be good to increase suspension by increasing tyre size, because there's sod all else I can do to smooth the ride on my Dahon Helios P8 folder. One could open-pit mine in some of these potholes! I'm tying to determine how to measure up for the largest possible tyres. Does anyone know what sort of clearance that it's best to leave, between the tyre edges and the forks? Also what is the limit for tyre width on 20" 406 wheels? Can I fit Schwalbe Big Ben Plus, (2.15 inch) or can I fit larger?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

After my accident the other day, I decided to buy this cheapo action camera, which arrived yesterday. At £45 (they dropped the price two hours after I bought it lol), it's a crash disposable price, but capable (I hope) of capturing number plates, road enraged faces, angry voices, and my effing and blinding when I land on my BMX helmeted head next time:

There are sufficient attachments supplied (with 4 zipties I had kicking around) for the construction of a chin mount, which also allows me to see the screen without blocking my view:

I'll write a short review in the review section, if it turns out to be any good. (Photos taken on my OnePlus phone, wish I could mount that safely to my helmet)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSV3MiaC

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it put it under the visor/ or on top because if you crash that thing will brake off and smash you in the face :p

you get to see more when it is on top but prone to branch hits off road but is only held on with a 3m sticky pad.

Sep 13, 2020
I'm glad you were relatively OK, and it just goes to show how careful you have to be all the time, especially in the dark. So often it's not other traffic but things on the road surface which are either a nuisance or, as in your case, a positive menace.

A few weeks ago I went for a night time ride and merrily cycled down a local road a few miles from me, that I've never cycled down before, and don't actually know. Regretted it. Firstly hit the object shown in this google street view. It's a metal bar across the length of the road, and I hit it at speed without seeing it. Wondered what the hell had happened, but fortunately the bike took it ok. Christ knows what its purpose is. Then a bit further down the same road, I copped for this which may not look much but is a badly finished bit of road. Then to cap it all I smacked into this sunken drain cover . That same road is littered with them.

I think it goes to show just how vulnerable we are, and especially at night when vision is altered so that ground level hazards are easily overlooked. I didn't see any of them, but I'm pretty sure I would have in daylight.

D

Deleted member 33385

Yes, would like to see a review from someone unassiciated with Amazon or the product!

It's all smoke and mirrors on Amazon lol! I looked at all the test videos for the cheap cameras on Youtube, by searching for the camera name followed by the word "test", ignored the unboxings where they talk for ages before showing a few seconds of footage shot in highly favourable camera-friendly bright sunny conditions at the end, and sought out videos which were shot in overcast dark, dismal, depressing, slit-your-wrists British weather. This looked like the best cheapo action camera bet, to my eye. "4k" is upscaled, not worth bothering with, 1080p is likely upscaled too but the footage looked sufficiently sharp enough to make out number plates for post accident search and destroy, I mean hunt down and sue missions. Cheapos are so bad at dynamic range that I shouldn't even add the word to this collection of sentences, but for the road I want sharp, not art. All cheapos stink in low light conditions... mind you, you have to pay thousands for good night video capability, and those cameras would never fit on a helmet. There is a way to mount my Canon DSLR to my helmet, but I can't think of an artistic reason to yet.

it put it under the visor/ or on top because if you crash that thing will brake off and smash you in the face :p

you get to see more when it is on top but prone to branch hits off road but is only held on with a 3m sticky pad.

I did mount it on top, but I cannot face the world with a camera sticking out of the top of my head! I can't do it. Unless I have to. Here are both mounts, I can swap over the camera with a click. My visor is the tilting type:

There's almost no damage to the helmet at all! I landed where my forhead would have been, and tilted to the side and slid along where my road abraded face and ear would have been, if I hadn't been wearing my BMX helmet. A normal top hattype bike helmet wouldn't have protected my jaw, or the lower parts of my face or ear. The foam inside isn't cracked, so I think it's probably safe to keep using.

That's a good point about the possibility of the front camera smashing me in the face in a collision. Maybe I need a face impact-friendly case to go over the waterproof case... I may have to go out looking like an alien after all...

I'm glad you were relatively OK, and it just goes to show how careful you have to be all the time, especially in the dark. So often it's not other traffic but things on the road surface which are either a nuisance or, as in your case, a positive menace.

A few weeks ago I went for a night time ride and merrily cycled down a local road a few miles from me, that I've never cycled down before, and don't actually know. Regretted it. Firstly hit the object shown in this google street view. It's a metal bar across the length of the road, and I hit it at speed without seeing it. Wondered what the hell had happened, but fortunately the bike took it ok. Christ knows what its purpose is. Then a bit further down the same road, I copped for this which may not look much but is a badly finished bit of road. Then to cap it all I smacked into this sunken drain cover . That same road is littered with them.

I think it goes to show just how vulnerable we are, and especially at night when vision is altered so that ground level hazards are easily overlooked. I didn't see any of them, but I'm pretty sure I would have in daylight.

I almost came off after I hit a 4ft wide metal manhole cover the other week (I saw it but didn't think it'd be a problem, doh!) - bike tyres all seem to have trouble with large metal areas... I swapped out the front for a thicker one - 1.75 inch instead of 1.5, the ride has improved a bit. That metal band looks like a nasty surprise, so do the other two. Roads seem to have a lot of addons all over the place these, and they're constantly being dug up to add more. No wonder more people buy SUVs - it's jeeps elswhere in the world. I probably wouldn't have been travelling at 15mph without an ebike, it all zips by too fast in the dark. I'm looking at putting much thicker tyres on my bike - wouldn't have helped all that much the other night, but my left wrist wouldn't hurt as much, and the sort of pothole in your third link would be comfier/less jolty to trundle over with 2.1 inch MTB tyres or 2.15 inch Big Ben Plus, or wider... I do worry about the extra weight.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

will it fit under the visor ? you should have something like this that came with it.

View attachment 41497

i cant even see it with it on ;) or just stick it on the handle bars.

That'd hit you in the face too! My visor is too low for that sort of positioning, plus it'd bounce up and down... I'll see if a side mount is possible, without having to use epoxy resin. Maybe I could fit two and get 3D! :cool:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it wont as the visors are designed to brake off on impact why it is the best place to put them if it will fit so you cant see it, i have a remote on the cross bar to start stop recording.

my visor is held on with magnets ;)

D

Deleted member 33385

it wont as the visors are designed to brake off on impact why it is the best place to put them if it will fit so you cant see it, i have a remote on the cross bar to start stop recording.

my visor is held on with magnets ;)

My visor is designed to slash me across the neck or face as it breaks off lol. Nice design you got there... with that Carbon helmet of yours... where did you say you live?

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got it on offer for £250 b4 the crap hit the fan ;)

this was my old one.

DSC_0221_03.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just dont buy crash damaged crap like this!

i think i paid about 160 for the met helmet new and got 50 quid for it on ebay as used it for years.

DSC_0283_01_01.JPG

stones hurt flying down fire roads in the forest of dean going 50mph lol

D

Deleted member 33385

just dont buy crash damaged crap like this!

i think i paid about 160 for the met helmet new and got 50 quid for it on ebay as used it for years.

View attachment 41499

That's a very sensible outfit! £50? You got a good price. I'd never buy a secondhand helmet - you never know what hidden damage there could be from accidents, or who's bled to death in it.

I might start getting a lot of protective gear like that... but it won't prevent damage if a lorry rolled over me...

D

Deleted member 33385

There are enough bits supplied with the camera to side mount. The side mounted view looks ok, won't smash me in the face in an accident. I don't trust glues - even epoxy, for something like that. I might drill two small holes (small holes shouldn't weaken the structure too much, I hope!) near the helmet ear hole, then ziptie the camera base through the mesh that covers the helmet ear hole. I'll upload a photo if I do it.

Last edited: