Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi all,

I’m about to start an E-bike build. First some stats:-

I’m 84kg

My commute to work is 10.5 miles

The route has a couple of gentle hills

The bike will have 700c wheels with 28mm tyres. I’ll probably be using something like the Charge Grater 3.

For the build I’m thinking about using the following parts:-

Hub motor - Q100H

http://www.bmsbattery.com/front-driving/630-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-e-bike-kit.html

I’ll be building the motor into a rim that I already have.

Battery, charger, controller and Display meter

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/567-bottle-ebike-battery-controller.html

Would I be better to use the S06P or S06S controller?

I assume that I also need a throttle, pedal assist sensor and brake sensor?

I’m new to all this so if anybody has any suggestions, fire away.

D

Deleted member 4366

Use the S06S controller. There's still questions over whether the Q100H works with a S06P.

I think I'd be inclined to use the bottle battery without a controller, and get the rectangular S06S mounted somewhere separately, which will give you the opportunity to adjust the current. It's very tight to get all the connectors in the bottle battery compartment and you have a lot of extra wire outside that looks untidy. It's not so bad if you're good at wiring and soldering. If you are good at soldering and wiring, you can get the small controller box from BMSB. Again, it's vert tight to get all the connectors and wires in, but if you wire the motor and battery wires directly to the controller pcb, you can get a very neat installation.

Note that BMSB bottle batteries are not particularly waterproof. Water can get in through the main joins (missing O-rings), the catch and the change indicator display and button. You can silicone the joints and catch, but the display button and windows would be tricky. You might want to consider a waterproof cover if you want to ride in the rain. Something like a bit of cut and sewn cordura with a zip under the frame should do it.

The half-throttles give you the best chance of fitting round your changers. You should get a plain thumb-throttle too because they don't cost much, and it will give you more options for fitting.

There's no compatible brake sensors for hydraulic brakes. If you want them, you'll have to make your own out of a reed switch and magnet.

Get a pedal sensor. The $1 ones definitely work. I don't know if the more expensive ones give a better response. Having said that, my 10 pole Xiongda one is instant starting and stopping, but I don't know how much of that is down to the controllers CPU and software.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Storapa,

It is a very nice bike for a first build, maybe a bit expensive to cut your teeth on and you won't really know how it will be until you ride it.

You will definitely need either or both pelec assist and or throttle, brake sensor is also a good idea.

If it was me, for a first time kit, I would probably source a complete kit from the UK, something like one of these http://www.8funbike.com/detail.asp/sku=8F26F36B

D

Deleted member 4366

I just noticed that it has an eccentric crank adjuster. I've never done one of those. I'd need to see it close up to be sure, but it might make installing the PAS a bit more complicated.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@ d8veh - I'll adjust the shopping list accordingly. I'll go without brake sensors and just use the pedal sensor. Good point about buying the two throttle options. They are cheap enough and the flexibility could be useful.

I am reasonably experienced when it comes to soldering and wiring etc, but will probably go with the rectangular S06S controller, as this will give me the opportunity to change the battery in the future.

@ Artstu - I noticed the Cytronex bike a couple of days ago. I thought that this was an encouraging sign.

@ John - Thanks for the kit suggestion. I will have a look.

I'm trying to get my head around all of the options and requirements at the moment. There is a bit more to it than I though.