My first commute - feeling hopeless :(

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Don't give up.
Everyone can be a bit wobbly after not riding for a while, as your confidence and strength improves so will your balance and your speed.
As for the journey after a few rides you will remember which way to go without any help and you will probably start experimenting with different routes to see if there is a more cycle friendly way.
As the weather improves you will enjoy the experience so much more.
Good luck and most of all enjoy
PS
watch out for potholes in the road/pavements !

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes Phill, but by the time you get it at least expect half of the amount.
So please CRAB it now as we speak LOL.

MS.
Just done a forcast.. £122 per week from November. So after 4 weeks I can buy a spare battery! ;) all I need now is to live long enough to enjoy it.

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
I was once told that.... "hey pal, get out of the way! I pay Road tax and you don't. Which seemed to put things in perspective.
It's pathetic isn't it? I've had the same comment. Does these people not recognise that a cyclist can also own a motor vehicle? I have a daily driver, a VW Campervan, a classic VW Beetle and a motorcycle - I pay enough road tax thank you very much! I probably cover around 25K miles per annum in (or on) motor vehicles. At least I'm nice to two wheeled road users!

CorpusLuteum, well done for continuing with your commuting challenges :)

Last edited:
Reactions: john h and baldylox

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Just done a forcast.. £122 per week from November. So after 4 weeks I can buy a spare battery! ;) all I need now is to live long enough to enjoy it.
How about I loan you the money right now for the battery? Four weeks of waiting and excitement is too hard to bare.

Hmm.. but then again Phill, why bother, you've waited so many years anyway another four weeks I suppose wont harm. PM me if you still want that loan.;)

MS.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Well done :)

Keep plugging away at it and don't forget 2 main things - ride well out in the road so cars can see you are there and you have some room to move, and, get off and walk a tricky bit if it feels safer.
Thank you. I feel great right now. I've come home now and got lost on the way but I realised that getting lost can be pretty fun. I'm discovering places I never knew existed. This is the best feeling ever :)

Hi CorpusLuteum,

I hope that you are more confident at this point in time, but are these stares coming from women, men or both?

MS.
I would say it's mainly women giving the dirty looks.

With your petite size and small bike they may well have thought you were a child on a bike? if so I would use that back pack always on the bike. :)
I think you're right. I didn't get any dirty looks today either. I'm definitely keeping this backpack :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is the bike parked in a secure area?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but there's no doubt any bike regularly parked in the same place will attract attention from thieves.

Your lock - or any other - will pose little deterrent in those circumstances.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Is the bike parked in a secure area?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but there's no doubt any bike regularly parked in the same place will attract attention from thieves.

Your lock - or any other - will pose little deterrent in those circumstances.
It's parked right outside the college entrance. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to attempt to steal outside a college entrance where there's CCTV recording. But you never know... I've insured the bike just in case.

Reactions: Clockwise and hoppy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's parked right outside the college entrance. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to attempt to steal outside a college entrance where there's CCTV recording. But you never know... I've insured the bike just in case.
So long as you are content with the arrangements.

You've posted in other threads about just getting out and about again after illness, so it would be a great shame if your progress was impeded in any way..

I know from bitter experience that having a bike nicked can be a nasty set-back.

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
And are you sure that your not popping any wheelies with no hands for them to see. If you are, sorry I can't help you on this one.

MS. xxx

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am really pleased you are gaining confidence, early set backs are part of the learning curve. Only by doing it wrong can we learn how to do it right. We are all still learning until the day we die. A silly but half serious suggestion. Put an "L" plate on the back of your bike!

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
So long as you are content with the arrangements.

You've posted in other threads about just getting out and about again after illness, so it would be a great shame if your progress was impeded in any way..

I know from bitter experience that having a bike nicked can be a nasty set-back.
Having my bike stolen is obviously the last thing I want. Knowing that it's covered by insurance and kryptonite lock warranty gives me the peace of mind. All I need now is a helmet cam :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I was once told that.... "hey pal, get out of the way! I pay Road tax and you don't. Which seemed to put things in perspective.
I tell them I am there by right, they on the other hand, are by licence. That can be taken away.