My first Ebike Conversion

R1CKh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 21, 2017
uk
My first Ebike conversion. Using a conversion kit and a second hand bottle battery from ebay.
I read a lot of information on here (much of it beyond my comprehension) but gleaned a lot of important information from this section of the forums, so thanks to all of the users who post here, It's a fantastic resource to an ebike noob.

R1CKh

Sep 21, 2017
uk
Hi, I'm using GPS Speedometer from the apps store. I think the creator is COOL NIKS. I upgraded to the pro version to avoid the ads. Its not expensive.

What app are you using on your phone for the mph?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Wow Fast......... (too fast for me !!) You'll need to make it look like your pedalling like mad at those speeds to avoid unwanted attention.
How do you find the heavy motor on the front affects the handling/steering compared to normal?
What 10s Lipo's did you use for the test run?

R1CKh

Sep 21, 2017
uk
I was worried about the handling but the frame and fork seems to cope well and i can throw it into corners with confidence even with 1.5 road tyres. I think would handle even better with some 2.0 semi slick mtb tyres. Obviously it doesn't handle anywhere near as well as it did pre conversion as a 12.4kg cross country MTB.

I used 2 ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S 20C in series from Hobbyking. I've ordered 2 more in the Black Friday sale so I can add another pair in parallel to make a 10000mah pack.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Only built a rear hub kit myself, one thing I had to do was make sure the power in to the hub came from below to prevent water ingress - yours looks to be entering from the top?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, the wheel is on upside down. You need to correct that before riding in the wet.

The used 36v bottle battery won't be able to give enough power for that controller and motor. It'll sag horribly and soon wear out. That's assuming that it doesn't use the latest high discharge rate cells, which is unlikely.