My first post, still got my forum stabilisers on.

Crestazeebra1

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
Hi Everyone
Recently my kids asked what I would like for my upcoming 60th birthday. My answer, which as a lifelong petrol head, surprised them somewhat. "I wouldn't mind one of them Electric Bikes" Anyway I was told to go and do some research and report back.
The first pedelec I come across was the Gtech Ebike which I kinda like being as it looks like a normal bike and hasn't got any of them pesky gears to annoy me. Then I found this forum and realised that there's a vast choice of electric bikes to choose from.
So I thought I would ask the experts on the forum for some suggestions. I'm 6ft and a not super fit 17 stone. I have visions of folding the seats down in my hatchback loading up the bike driving out a bit then unloading and tootling through the countryside using the electric to help up any gradients, The area I live in is predominantly flat but has long 7% hill to get to the next predominantly flat area. From my initial research I think I would like a normal looking gents 26 inch wheel with hub gears but not lots of em , about a 50 mile range, reasonably light weight with a max budget of a grand,
Due to my personal bulk I like the look of the Woosh Big Bear. By filling in the form on here I came up with the Cyclotricity Stealth which is fairly light and the eZee eZee Sprint Primo 3 GTS, which has the low gear numbers I crave but looks really dated.
Has anyone got any view on those 3 or further suggestions for me to investigate?
regards
Dave

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Hi Everyone
Recently my kids asked what I would like for my upcoming 60th birthday. My answer, which as a lifelong petrol head, surprised them somewhat. "I wouldn't mind one of them Electric Bikes" Anyway I was told to go and do some research and report back.
The first pedelec I come across was the Gtech Ebike which I kinda like being as it looks like a normal bike and hasn't got any of them pesky gears to annoy me. Then I found this forum and realised that there's a vast choice of electric bikes to choose from.
So I thought I would ask the experts on the forum for some suggestions. I'm 6ft and a not super fit 17 stone. I have visions of folding the seats down in my hatchback loading up the bike driving out a bit then unloading and tootling through the countryside using the electric to help up any gradients, The area I live in is predominantly flat but has long 7% hill to get to the next predominantly flat area. From my initial research I think I would like a normal looking gents 26 inch wheel with hub gears but not lots of em , about a 50 mile range, reasonably light weight with a max budget of a grand,
Due to my personal bulk I like the look of the Woosh Big Bear. By filling in the form on here I came up with the Cyclotricity Stealth which is fairly light and the eZee eZee Sprint Primo 3 GTS, which has the low gear numbers I crave but looks really dated.
Has anyone got any view on those 3 or further suggestions for me to investigate?
regards
Dave
Probably not that useful (as I have no experience of the Cyclotricity Stealth or the Sprint Primo) but I can certainly recommend the Woosh Big Bear. I have had mine for about 18 months and really cant fault it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Crestazeebra1

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
Thanks for the replies . There's a Woosh dealer near me. So I might go and have a look.
I did think about getting second-hand but my son and daughter in law, who are both electro mechanical engineers, have dissuaded me by saying that I would most likely end up buying a new battery which are very expensive.
Better get down to thoroughly reading all the buying guides on here next.
Regards
Dave.
There's more
Just been on the Woosh website and tried to use their predictor tool but it doesn't connect, can anyone point me towards another similar one?

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Crestazeebra1

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
I've been into Southend today and had a look at the Big Bear at the Woosh shop and a Whisper 905SE at Bikebase. TBH I was impressed visually with both bikes, not ridden either yet. The Big Bear looks rugged and it has the front hub drive that I thought would be good. The Whisper looks more sporty and I was impressed by the shop proprietor and the fact that it was more of a proper bike shop.
I never thought it would be this hard to choose and I'm sure there's gonna be a lot more to look at yet. Got plenty of time though as my birthday is not to next July.
Oh well back to the researching.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should have test ridden both!
I am sure a lot of members would be interested in comparing the two.

Crestazeebra1

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
I was on my way to work so didn't really have time for a test ride. Has their been a comparison on here between these 2 and or similar models?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
No. The Big Bear was sold since 2013. It has been improved a bit but still same electrics. The 905SE is only a few months old. The Bear will have a bit of nip and tuck in 2017, mainly a new pair of black leather grips.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh don't have agents, so you will have been into the 'one and only' Woosh. We aren't a traditional bike shop with dozens of bikes on the shop floor because most of our business is by mail order. So we have our 15 models on demo but all our stock bikes are packed in cartons ready to go. Customers who do call in can try our demos and then either have a completely new bike made up from a boxed one to take away or have one sent out to them by mail the next day or so. Local customers do appreciate that all our servicing is in house - nothing needs to be sent away or ordered in.

I would love to work from a farmhouse, surrounded by hills and canal paths - good for test rides - with parking for campers and a beautiful thatched barn (15000 square feet) for a warehouse .... oh, and a tearoom and pub next door ...and of course a Marks just up the road.....all for mini bucks (ha ha!)
Know anywhere anyone?
Hatti

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I would love to work from a farmhouse, surrounded by hills and canal paths - good for test rides - with parking for campers and a beautiful thatched barn (15000 square feet) for a warehouse .... oh, and a tearoom and pub next door ...and of course a Marks just up the road.....all for mini bucks (ha ha!)
Know anywhere anyone?
Hatti
It's off topic I know. However, within a 5 mile radius of my house there are dozens of places like you describe, including M&S, hills, pubs, cafes and canal tow paths. Compared to South England prices the bucks won't be too big.

I can now expect Woosh moving North. ;)