My Freego Eagle.

ploddermac

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2019
Hello, by using this site i am looking for assistance to rectify damage caused to my Freego Eagle, all of which has been caused during the service i had on the cycle by a Freego agent in my area over two years ago. Because i broke my hip more or less at the same time i have not used the cycle. The first i got to know about the damage was last Monday when i decided to clean up both mine and my wives e-bike. Both are Freego machines, one is a wren and mine is an Eagle, both were then tested. The wren was fine and good to go but when pedaling mine there was no power assistance from the motor. The throttle worked OK though and the control device on the handlebar, was also good.
Further examination of the eagle revealed the damage. I must say here that when the cycles where taken into the service agent they were both worked fine. Some damage to my wives wren was rectified with new parts. As far as i knew my e-bike had no electric problems at all. It will be seen from the pictures as supplied what my problems are.

Picture 1 is showing the ecu controller on my particular cycle.

Picture 2 is showing then cabling on the above unit. I have highlighted two cables that have been cut, one is red and the other from the ECU is blue. i have not yet traced these back to origin but hope to use my wives wren as a guide.

Picture 3 is showing the crank area where the sensor is sighted. i have highlighted two area`s, one showing the cable cut, i have removed the outer sheathing for clarification, the cable was cut so close to the sensor that i am unable to re-solder them together, and secondly where the sensor and plate are sighted.

Picture 4 is showing the sensor, sensor plate and cable. I have ordered a replacement kit from E-Bikes.co.uk in the hope that will allow me to have my pedelec in use again. What i am not too sure about is the cabling that has been cut off then ECU unit as i have not retraced the cut cables to their original position yet.

So I am now asking if, should i need to replace, has an ECU unit the same as mine that I can purchase. Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Freego Eagle that I can use.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem is that there are different versions of the Freego controllers. I can remember something weird about the wiring and that different versions didn’t match, so I'm not surprised to see those cut wires. If your throttle works, you don't need to worry about the cut wires except the pedal sensor. You can buy any pedal sensor from Ebay. This one should work fine. Don't get the 12 magnet one because it might not work. I'd go for the 5 magnet one. The magnet disc only works forward one way up, so test it before you bolt everything up in case you have to flip it. Also, check that the new sensor has the wires in the right sequence for the connector on the controller side. They must go red to red, black to black. If they're wrong, they can be switched around in one of the connectors.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8-12-Assistant-Sensor-Electric-Pedal-System-Speed-Accessory-Useful-Durable/132906976475?hash=item1ef1df84db:m:mJcEHKujC0PXDQ3IecpoyVg

Last edited:

ploddermac

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2019
Hello vfr400,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have used your link and ordered the part as suggested. I have looked carefully that the wires for the sensor are correct, and they seem fine. So now waiting. Thank you

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hello vfr400,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have used your link and ordered the part as suggested. I have looked carefully that the wires for the sensor are correct, and they seem fine. So now waiting. Thank you
If you have any problems when it comes, ask again, but I'm pretty sure it'll work immediately.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome to the site
hope you get your bike going soon