My little Woosh Gallego

bobby-gg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2018
After I built up my Tern Duo electric bike I got the electric bike bug big time and found a listing for an auction sale for a 2 year old Woosh Gallego quite local to me, which I promptly won at £235, which I thought even if I had to replace the battery wasn't too bad of a price.

Once I got it I found that the battery capacity was still very good and the bike itself was in quite good condition, just needing a little tlc.

The first things I replaced was the bar/stem combo with a set I had from another project as the original clamp was creaking like hell, took the little spring out of the front brake noddle to sharpen up the response and give it a little maintenance.

Once I'd been riding it for a bit I decided that at 6foot, I really must get a longer seat post as the standard one was just a little cramped. Turns out that the seat post is 34mm od, which although you can get them as 600mm long there are few and far between, so thought about making a telescopic seat post instead. Turns out it was quite simple, inverting the original seat post, drilling a hole and cutting a slot in the new top, fitting a clamp and sliding a new seat post down the inside - result

The internal diameter of the post is 27.8mm and picked up a 300mm long one from amazon.co.uk for £10, a 34mm clamp could be added bit awkward to find but I found one in my spares pile, and I think that it's from a scooter, but don't quote me on that.

The rear mech being used as a chain tensioner was also twisted so I've just replaced that with the shorter vintage shimano one with a shortened gold kmc510 chain,a pair of bmx grips for a little more comfort and control over the plastic ones and changed out the travel wheels with a pair of 70mm longboard wheels to make it more stable when folded

I absolutely love it and although I bought it for my camper van I'm finding I'm using it around the doors at home too - so I've just ordered a yose power hub kits to convert one of my mountain bikes next

Rob

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
fantastic tip on how to make a telescopic seatpost.

bobby-gg

Jul 8, 2018
fantastic tip on how to make a telescopic seatpost.
The good thing about doing it this way is that if you need to drop it down again for a shorter person, say my other half, remove the inner post and turn the post the right way up again and bolt the seat back on - 5 minute job

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

bobby-gg

Jul 8, 2018
Good idea but I'd be looking for a lot more insertion than that.
The original outer one is fully bottomed in the frame and the inner one has more than 2/3rds of it length inserted, and with them both being thick walled I can't see any problems

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The original outer one is fully bottomed in the frame and the inner one has more than 2/3rds of it length inserted, and with them both being thick walled I can't see any problems
If that's the case then fine, just looks like more than 200mm sticking out in the pics.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am going to nick his idea this weekend to fit a SP12 NCX suspension post.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The good thing about doing it this way is that if you need to drop it down again for a shorter person, say my other half, remove the inner post and turn the post the right way up again and bolt the seat back on - 5 minute job
genius.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Coffee

Aug 19, 2018
Well done with find.
Loving my Gallego, have been thinking about a suspension seat post myself. With no luck finding one, this could be a good solution...

Hmm, wonders about warranty.

bobby-gg

Jul 8, 2018
Totally unrelated, but got a phone call from a friend today who wanted an old bottle dynamo for a TV shot with Max McMurdo!

Anyway, I had one and took it over and just happened to have the gallego in the van with me! The whole crew had a go thought it was great and I think I've converted them

Coffee

Aug 19, 2018
Bobby gg,

Did you have to modify anything to fit the longboard wheels on the rack? Seen some nice orange matchy matchy ones on fleabay four for a tenner, probably wouldn't want to fix em to a skateboard but would be perfectly adequate for this purpose.
Tho I could probably scrounge a couple from 1 of a few aging skateboarders at work.

Cheers Dave

bobby-gg

Jul 8, 2018
Not at
Bobby gg,

Did you have to modify anything to fit the longboard wheels on the rack? Seen some nice orange matchy matchy ones on fleabay four for a tenner, probably wouldn't want to fix em to a skateboard but would be perfectly adequate for this purpose.
Tho I could probably scrounge a couple from 1 of a few aging skateboarders at work.

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave, no mods required, the wheels that are used are scooter style wheels, so unbolt the original ones, swap over the bearings, spacers and adaptors onto the longboard wheels and away you go

Reactions: Coffee

Coffee

Aug 19, 2018
Not at

Hi Dave, no mods required, the wheels that are used are scooter style wheels, so unbolt the original ones, swap over the bearings, spacers and adaptors onto the longboard wheels and away you go
Thanks for the reply, will start off by scrounging at work if I have no luck there fleabay's the way.

Dave.