My new Big Bear Plus.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
As the title says, it came this morning.
I couldn't wait to get it unpacked from it's very safe and secure packing with loads of velcro straps to hold everything safely.
Checking the battery it was nearly fully charged so after checking it over, and finding almost nothing to do as it was all pretty much set up perfectly and ready to go, I set off on its first ride out.
Pulling away at junctions was a breeze, touching the throttle to get away then on assist 5 peddling away and I'm at 18 mph before I know it under my own steam, as the assist stopped at 15.
Slowing into a nice easy pedal rate a very noticeable surge of help kicked in again, and I was happy to cycle along with assist enjoying the ride.
Everything worked well, the hydraulic front and rear brakes were great, the saddle that has a spring mounted post was very nice.
The gears were fine once I got used to them, as it only needs a small nudge to change gears of which I found the seven just about right. At first I was pushing too far and going through a couple of gears at once, but I soon got used to being more gentle on the pushing of the lever.
I only did seven miles as it was just a get the feel of it run out, and the weather looked bad and it started spitting so I headed for home.
My first impression is it's great, the sitting position is shorter than I'm used to being stretched out over a touring frame, but I'll get used to the more upright position in no time.
I can't wait for the next ride out, which is hopefully tomorrow weather permitting.
Would i recommend this bike? Yes with out doubt, its a great comfortable ride with the seat post and suspension forks and thanks to the 17 ah battery I'm looking forward to some nice long days out on it.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Ok guys just a quick update on my Big Bear Plus.
Went for a quick ten mile ride the other day and I'm really liking the surge of power when I'm lower than the top speed of the particular assist setting and it takes you up to it with ease.
Going down to the local river dam there's a steep hill of about one hundred yards that takes you down to the Riverside.
While coming back up this rather steep hill I put it in fourth and put assist five on wondering how the Bear would handle it.
I needn't have worried, it took me up like it wasn't there with just the slightest of pedalling pressure from me. And don't forget I'm twenty stone.
On heading back on the main road I left it on assist five and kept it at fifteen on a long straight very slightly up and down road. The road soon disappeared and I was home in no time.
Only two small things that I'm wondering about. The first is the sound of the motor is like any other until it gets to fifteen miles per hour then it starts to sound louder and with an added metally scrubbing type noise which disappears as soon as I drop to thirteen ish miles per hour. I'm thinking it just needs a few miles on it to maybe sort that? As it doesn't effect the ride its just the sound of it.
The second is i went to turn the lcd on before coming out and it flashed on then went off, it did this a few times even after turning the battery off at its switch then turning it on again to try turning the lcd on again.
I ended up sliding the battery out then replacing it again and Hey presto the lcd came on.
I'm wondering why this might happen, though it hasn't effected the ride.
Anyway other than that I'm really enjoying this bike, and really like the way it will pull you forward when you want it too.
If you don't want that then turn the assist down and it doesn't do it as much.
I was looking forward to getting out today on it, but the snow has stopped that. 20210201_152847.jpg

Reactions: budsy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
Sounds like you got the last one in stock. Grrr...

Glad you're enjoying it despite the glitches/hiccoughs. And thanks for the informative performance reviews.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The first is the sound of the motor is like any other until it gets to fifteen miles per hour then it starts to sound louder and with an added metally scrubbing type noise which disappears as soon as I drop to thirteen ish miles per hour. I'm thinking it just needs a few miles on it to maybe sort that? As it doesn't effect the ride its just the sound of it.
the motor cuts out at 15mph and cuts in again a few seconds later when the speed drops back to below 15mph. That start/stop sequence engages and disengages the internal clutch and gearbox, hence the scrubbing type noise you heard.
If you are on a high assist level like 5, the power ramps up much more quickly and the noise is noticeable.
Try doing the same on a lower assist level, 3. The noise will change. Don't worry about it.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Thanks for that Woosh, yeah I'll try that and see how it goes.
Anyway an update on the lcd issue, I emailed Andy on Tuesday night late and he got back to me the next morning and i recieved the replacement battery today which is Thursday, as an issue with a certain batch of batteries had been identified.
It was effectively a one day turnaround, now that's seriously impressive customer service.
Thanks Andy I haven't had a chance to get out on it yet, but all seems fine.
I'll let you know how I get on, but I think I'll be enjoying a good ride out as soon as its a dry day.

Reactions: budsy and richtea99

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I thought I'd update you all on my Big Bear Plus.
75 miles covered and most of those on full assist and some throttle use to pull away quite sharpish.
I'm now feeling very at home on this bike, with the sitting position being comfortable and feeling very stable.
With this 17 ah battery being the biggest I'v had I wanted to know the minimum distance I could go with full assist, then any lesser setting would extend the range, so giving me a good idea on how far I can go without running out of juice unexpectedly.
I'm very happy to say 30 miles is the least I can go on full power all the time, which for a 20 stone rider and rack bag full of tools and a flask is impressive. So once I go to say assist three another five to ten miles can be added to that easily I feel.
Saying that, the main reason I got into electric originally was to enjoy getting out on the bike without the leg burning and sweating that used to be the norm, and I have to say I'm enjoying going out on this bike more than ever.
So going to assist three isn't going to be something I'll do very soon as I'm enjoying the ease of full assist too much. Saying that, on some long hills I'm still getting warm legs and exercise so it's all good.
As far as the gearing is concerned, the restriction to 15mph with the motor matches the gearing very well, and is a comfortable spinning rate at this speed.
If I wanted to go faster and have a practical cadence the gears would need adjusting with say a larger chain wheel. But I'm not interested in going faster as I'v done all that in the past, and just want to enjoy cycling with the assist without the effort of days gone by.
The Big Bear Plus has been a pleasure to ride and is working well in all ways.
The gear shifting is so easy, the hydraulic disk brakes are a revelation to me as I'v only ever used rim brakes and these disk brakes are so much better.
The forks are good at taking the sting out of an unexpected pot hole or rough patch of road, so to is the sprung seat post.
I was always a hard tail guy as wrongly I thought suspension bikes were problematic and overly complicated, but I'v now seen the light and understand the benefits.
The 250 watt hub motor on the front wheel is a little larger than some 250 watt hub motors, but I'm thinking that's where the seemingly extra strength in it comes from.
It really is a noticeable surge of power when your going a little slower than the assist setting you happen to be in.
Each assist setting tops out with its assist at a certain speed, for example 1 about five or six mph, 2 eight or nine ish ect. And assist five tops out at fifteen and a half mph.
Now I'v had the restriction set at 30 kph just to check the sound of the motor, as it gets a little louder at its max speed, which I'm not used to hearing. But it doesn't effect the ride at all and is more than likely due to its larger than average size and stronger pull.
Just as a point of interest, it feels like it gives near enough full assist at 18 mph too.
So a larger sized motor that gives more pull is a little louder, who'd have thought eh.
Anyway, I'v tried to describe things so as to answer any thoughts some might have with possibly thinking of getting one of these bikes.
All I can say is, I'm very happy with mine and look forward to getting out on it any chance I get.
And with the finer weather hopefully on its way, I'm going to be planning some great adventures on this very capable bike.
To finish off this long winded ramble, I'd like to say that any and all enquiries I'v had with woosh have been answered, and any help given in double quick time.
I wouldn't think twice about using woosh again, a very good company.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
What's the maximum current drawn / power output by the controller?

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
The saga of noggin the nog (remember that?) continues.
Iv been out for two days one after the other, and each time I'v enjoyed this bike immensely.
Today I used mostly assist level three and four and cycled above the speed of assist to get a bit more exercise, but it still felt great when I hit a steep hill and touched the button for assist five and I surged forward and easily up the hill.
When I slowed a little while going up a hill the motor seemed to help me more to the point of my legs just making circles with hardly any pressure on the pedals from me.
This was a very welcome feel as it gave me a rest from my own little exercise periods of pedalling with out assist.
It also dawned on me how strong this motor is because of how heavy I am.
Can you imagine how this motor would perform with four our five stone less holding it back? .
I'm sure there's other big bear owners out there who don't weigh 20 stone, and I'd love to hear how your getting on with it,even though I'm very happy with mine,curiosity and all that.
Anyway, I'm already planning another ride tomorrow weather permitting, but I'm not recharging as today's ride was fifteen miles so will take advantage of the minimum 30 miles and do some exploring around the Middleton St George area.

Reactions: Deus and budsy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yesterday we found the oldest saxon church in the Darlington area, right next to the airport.
If you in to small old churches and feel like a longer ride look at the church at Hallgarth, Pittington. Slightly newer than that one, like a mini Durham Cathedral.

Reactions: Turkeylegs

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
If you in to small old churches and feel like a longer ride look at the church at Hallgarth, Pittington. Slightly newer than that one, like a mini Durham Cathedral.
We love history and old churches and castle or Abbey ruins, that's sounds a great idea thanks.
But it's more a day ride, at the moment we're doing a few hours at a time so that would be something for the future.
A place id like to revisit is Uther Pendragons Castle ruins, but it's more for the car than the bike as its a long way from here.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I thought I'd update you all on my Big Bear Plus.
I was always a hard tail guy as wrongly I thought suspension bikes were problematic and overly complicated, but I'v now seen the light and understand the benefits.
I'm a bit confused with this comment.
Isn't the Big Bear a hardtail ?