My new Big Bear Plus.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I'm a bit confused with this comment.
Isn't the Big Bear a hardtail ?
Ah sorry, I should have been more clear, I used the hard tail phrase as a way to describe the suspension forks.
Iv never been interested in rear or fork suspension and miss used the phrase.
The Big Bear Plus is indeed a hard tail with suspension forks, sorry for the wrong choice of words.
I took my old tourer out the other day just to give it a run, and couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was compared to the Bear.
Work is in the way at the moment, but I can't wait to get out over the weekend on my very comfortable Bear.
The combination of the front suspension, fat tyres and seat make a very noticeable difference in comfort.

Reactions: GLJoe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Big Bear did have a step thru relative the Sun bear.

Reactions: Turkeylegs

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes it was called the Sun Bear.

Reactions: davidhlm1

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Hi guys, We have a trip planned tomorrow to try and see what the actual maximum distance is that we can go with assist on our bikes.
So I wanted to ask if taking the battery to its max where it cuts out is harmful in any way?
This way we Could try for places even further away, but we won't if theres any risk to the battery at all.
Many thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi guys, We have a trip planned tomorrow to try and see what the actual maximum distance is that we can go with assist on our bikes.
So I wanted to ask if taking the battery to its max where it cuts out is harmful in any way?
This way we Could try for places even further away, but we won't if theres any risk to the battery at all.
Many thanks.
My understanding is that the BMS cutout is there to protect it from significant damage. So testing it out like that will be an interesting and harmless experiment, but that regularly draining it to the BMS limit is probably not a good idea.

Unfortunately the voltage sag under load means the most likely place for it to give up is on a steep hill when you are feeling tired at the end of a ride.

Reactions: Turkeylegs

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Thanks for that, it's more than likely going to be a one off just out of curiosity.
It would be interesting to see how far we can actually get without purposely saving the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What's the point of batteries having a usable capacity voltage range if you are not going to use it all at times ? You are safe to LVC, it may vary depending on the BMS but 3.1 - 3.2v is typical.
If you have a voltage readout then one can stress the cells less once below 3.6v by using lower power.
Power up the hills is better and quicker then struggling on a lower setting, on the level or down hill turn power setting to zero or off to conserve battery power.
A good battery even at nominal voltage shouldn't hit lvc up hill in high power.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
What's the point of batteries having a usable capacity voltage range if you are not going to use it all at times ? You are safe to LVC, it may vary depending on the BMS but 3.1 - 3.2v is typical.
If you have a voltage readout then one can stress the cells less once below 3.6v by using lower power.
Power up the hills is better and quicker then struggling on a lower setting, on the level or down hill turn power setting to zero or off to conserve battery power.
A good battery even at nominal voltage shouldn't hit lvc up hill in high power.
It had crossed my mind that the full range must be used by some, but the worry of causing some sort of damage by over use has always been on my mind.
I guess I should just use it as much as I want and not worry about it.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
It's been a while, work ect, but wow I forgot how strong this motor is.
Assist five as usual for an easy ride out, and when I pulled away from my street onto the main road the way it pulled me straight up to top speed really did take me by surprise.
It's easy to forget when your unable to get out for a week or two just how capable this big bear is.
Anyway, meeting my cycle buddy about a mile away we decided to take a ride to Broken Scar, a dam on the river tees. Its only about five miles away but we wanted to take the river side track along the river too.
Armed with some biscuits and a flask off we went, as we intended to chill by the river and have a catch up.
It was a pleasant surprise to find it was very quiet so makes it even better.
While pedalling along the track I just thought to myself instead of pedalling I'll try the throttle just to see how it performs.
Well what can I say, it was like being on a motor bike in that I'm just stood up on the pedals and touching the throttle now and then and I was out running my mate easily without trying.
It was quite technical with roots above ground all over, but I was able to do my trailing bit easily with the throttles help.
I can't speak highly enough the ability of having a throttle gives you.
After chilling by the river for a while, munching on biscuits and slurping latte, that's what I put in mine, and putting the world to rights, we set off back.
More very enjoyable throttle use and we were at the dam.
I'll try and post pics, as we remembered our youth of summer Times running down this dam and jumping in the rapids, the place was packed in my teens on a hot day.
Setting off back it was full assist again and time to get home for tea having enjoyed another afternoon on the Bear.
My shifts are changing so it will be less often I'll be able to get out on my bike, but I'll certainly be looking forward to it when I can.

Attachments

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
First ride out for a while with a new job and a new home, but what a nice trip out it was too.
Exploring places we've never seen before around the cleasby and Barton area, and making a note to explore another time.
It still amazes me how good this Big bear is and how much more I'm enjoying going out on it.
Iv started to use lower levels of assist which when going slower is a nice smooth ride without the power kicking in and out so taking in the scenery is even nicer.
Another thought on how good these disk brakes are, as I free wheeled to 32 mph on Stapleton Bank and stopped so easily and Quickly at the bus shelter right at the bottom of the bank where we chilled and downed a bottle of water.
We saw a bird in that picture of a bird on the water and can't identify it so I'm getting my Collins bird ID book out soon and seeing if I can find it. No doubt it will have been a first year juvenile or some thing similar making the colours difficult. Fingers crossed I find it, if not another trip and maybe take the camera to try for a pic to aid identification.
Anyway, just an update of the saga of noggin the nog and his Big Bear adventures.
The sun was hot but I cover up well with a long sleeved high collared jacket so I don't get that awful too much sun feeling when I get home. My helmet covers my head so iv got home after a couple of hours feeling as fresh as I was when I went out.
Enjoy the sun but cover up well if your like me, fair skinned and easily burnt.

Reactions: Deus

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Nice story and glad that you’re enjoying the bike.

I too was heavy at 19 stone and got an eBike to get me out and about as a normal bike was too much for me. I got the Raleigh Motus GT Step Through. In my early days I was using Turbo (level 4) power and after three miles had had enough.

Had a bit of a break last year as contracted Covid, which messed me up for most of the year.

Anyhow, started cycling again at the beginning of this year and started a diet as well. Now at 15 stone and now use level 1 power and occasionally, level 2 going up hills and now can do up to 20 miles without feeling knackered.

Keep it up and we’ll done again.

Reactions: Turkeylegs and sjpt

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Nice weight loss, I'v not been using a diet as such but cut out bad stuff.
My job stops me getting out as much as I might, but do take advantage when I can.
My Big Bear is to enjoy the trip not to exercise, I have my Raleigh Royal for that, which I'v converted back to normal from electric.

Reactions: DiggyGun