My new build

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I've noticed it's more accurate the higher the amp limit goes.
That maybe due to the percentage gains.

But anyway I kept the block time as low as possible and now changed the setting to the same 7amp to hopefully get around the 12amp that you have.

Either way I'm pretty happy with it.
The motor is good though and looks fantastic.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello again,
Changed the controller settings last night. Changed it to the 7amp battery current and 30amp phase as these are the lowest settings.

This actually gives me 9.2amp peak which is nearer to the actual factored in amount.
Even with -56% less current I only dropped 1mph.

Its also increased my theoretical range up to 65miles taking it down to 12 wh/per mile.
Not that I'll ever do that unless I'm touring but its good to know.

The motor makes more noise at the lower amperage but I believe this is down keeping at the lower speed for a longer period. As soon as your past about 8mph its silent.

Good little motor and I'm not sure if the Kudo's team inspect the wheels before they leave but there all tensioned well and built much better than my wheel I had direct from china.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Good result Scott, interesting you only get a ~9amp peak...I've been contemplating tweaking the shunt on mine to try and get the actual draw closer to the programmed setting....maybe a small notch cut into it may do the trick....

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Mine is also the newer EB3 series board. But more than likely the shunt is nearer the correct ohm rating.

Although I am sure with heat and usage you'd never get it quite spot on. But if you know its a couple amp's out then you can self adjust and save yourself the hassle of putting nick's into the shunt to increase its resistance.

Either way I'm loving having the ability to chop and change the settings.
An since I carry the controller in a ruck sack with me I can do the amendments very easily.
Which is just as well as I have no laptop to do it on the bike.

Insaying that the speeddict and a smart phone is probably still a good halfway house that you can change live.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I might be joining you sooner than I thought Scotty - the Tongxin has stared making an odd vibration as it passes between 15mph and 17mph. I also noticed my amp draw has gone up bit and the motor was really warm when I got home on Monday - 47c according to the temp probe. I know it's been very warm recently and I know motors lose efficiency when they get hot. I've dropped the amp draw to 9amps (so 560watts peak) but it doesn't seem to have changed the amp usage and the vibration is still there.

Have I finally killed the Tongxin? Stay tuned ;-)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I doubt the vibration has anything to do with the slight overvolt.

Where is the temp probe placed?
Generally the motors have a peak of 160c, how ever if its on the casing that is quite warm. If it still rotates and is smooth its probably something like the clutch if it is the motor. Or more likely something is a bit loose on the wheel or axel is a possiblity.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I doubt the vibration has anything to do with the slight overvolt.

Where is the temp probe placed?
Generally the motors have a peak of 160c, how ever if its on the casing that is quite warm. If it still rotates and is smooth its probably something like the clutch if it is the motor. Or more likely something is a bit loose on the wheel or axel is a possiblity.
Yeah - checked it's all bolted up tight and it's good. Having worked with all kinds of motors I know it's not unusual for a vibration to appear then dissapear to never return, so I'm going to keep riding it and if it dies, onto the next.

I'd still love to try a Cute 100 motor but don't know if I can be bothered waiting for it to be delivered from BMS battery.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
They are currently quite good at the moment taking 2 weeks to get items to the UK.
Many members have reported the motors being delivered quite quickly.
It may be worth a punt on the cute motors since the Bafangs have all gone up in price.