My new E Mate City

newbie2011

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2011
Hello All
Just thought I'd let you know my first impressions of my E Mate City - I love it ! It's my first electric bike so haven't got experience of any others apart from my partners fold up, which in fact was what tempted me to get an electric one of my own + the increasing price of petrol used to get me to and from work (8 miles each way). So far I've found the bike a very comfortable ride, I notice the motor helping me out much more on the lower gears which I guess is probably what one would expect, cruising along on the 7th gear I'm probably doing about 15 miles an hour so the motor would have switched off. Getting up the hills is no problem at all. Yesterday I followed another cyclist for the flat part of the journey at reasonable speed but as soon as I got to a hill, I had to sail past :), he never did catch up.

The lights are wired in which is very convenient. The brakes are responsive. I mainly use the pedal assist setting which generally seems to give help when needed, but have occasionally switched over to throttle (using the red button) as this really helps getting away at roundabouts or traffic lights. Strange as it may seem I wish it had an indicator light showing what mode it is actually left in.

Sometimes going downhill I feel as if I could do with a higher gear, but I've read many people stating the same using other E bikes.

I have taken it on trains and have to say I find it a bit heavy on the back end to lift up over the station bridges with both motor and battery at the back, but perhaps I just need to build up a bit of muscle in my right arm! I'm certainly not complaining about the weight though.

What more can I say, I'm enjoying riding it, can't wait for the weather to get even better so I can spend more time out and about. I have the silver model and it looks great. If anyone wants to know any more, do get in touch.