My new mini pump.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, I bought a Lezyne HV drive black mini pump. It came today so I thought I'd give it a try. I let the tyre right down on the Typhoon. The pump blew it up ok but it is harder work than my faithful Crivit mini foot pump.

However it takes up much less space than the foot pump and it's now nicely installed next to my battery. Tomorrow, I should be out riding with a little bit more space on my bike.

Reactions: Aushiker

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
those pumps look very good and i,m all for space saving pumps,
the easiest way i find to get high pressure requred for road bike tyre is of course the track pump but not very portable.
i have a miny type pump and i can get nearly the hugh pressure req,d for my road bike but it takes a while and a lot of effort.
i have come up with a quick fix solution which works well for me.
whilst attending some races i noticed that a lot of competators used small co2 pumps that give rapid high pressure inflation.
on enquiring i found that the small co2 canisters were quite expensive but the competitors didn,t mind because of the race advantages.
further investigation found that the co2 canisters came in a variety of sizes,
i spotted one ,the smallest i think, is the 12gramm non threaded type.
these are exactly the same ones as used in co2 powered air pistols/rifles.
if you buy in bulk from an airgun supplier then they work out a LOT cheaper.
it is true that these smaller canisters will only inflate one tyre and maybe 2 may be req,d for very high pressure road tyres but at about 50 p each this is not really a problem,
i carry about 4 in my tool kit as well as a pump.
i sometimes start off with the hand pump on a road tyre and then when it gets hard going trying to achieve the last bit of high pressure i switch to the co2.
one word of warning though, if you just blast all the co2 in at once you can burst the inner tube because there is a freezing effect when the gas exits fast, so quick short bursts are the order of the day. also watch your fingers when removing the pump because of the very cold valve.
hope this helps with space saving issues.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
just had a look at the link to evans site provided above.
the pump i use is the one that takes a variety of co2 cartridges.
product code 103181
12gram air gun ones fit these and are a fracction of the cost if bulk ordered online.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I had a flat, and blew the 29er mtb tyr up with a dual action HighVol/High Pressure mini pump.. It nearly broke my heart (literally), !
It ain't easy :confused:

I have an itty-bitty pump & now I always try to find something like a seat or other protrusion that I can lean the wheel up to, then I can rest the business end of the pump against it & pump two-handed, preferably downwards, when the going gets tough.