My PG Blackblock Basic

freegeek

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2011

Got it one week ago, will be used for my long commute. I already have 200 miles on it, such a blast to ride. I have the 45 km/h speed pedelec version, it came with all the papers to have it registered and insured as a moped here in Belgium. I did a lot of research (also on this great forum) and PG is one of the few companies that delivers fast e-bikes with a European Certificate Of Conformity so you can get it on the road legally.
It's very fast and has good endurance (I can maintain 20 mph for 50 miles). Going flatout at top speed at maximus assist still gets you around 37 miles and then you are going 27 mph!!!!

You should see the look on people faces when I pedal past class B mopeds ;)

48 V - 1,2 kW motor
48 V - 17 Ah battery

ps: I'm not native English speaking so there are probably some grammar mistakes in my post

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your English is excellent freegeek.

Interesting bike, a pity you've had to register it as a moped as we would have to here in the UK. In Germany of course they have an e-bike class for 45 kph and higher powers, though even there 1.2 kW would offend!

freegeek

Apr 17, 2011
Your English is excellent freegeek.

Interesting bike, a pity you've had to register it as a moped as we would have to here in the UK. In Germany of course they have an e-bike class for 45 kph and higher powers, though even there 1.2 kW would offend!
thx!!! I researched this for a long time. I did test rides on the high end Kalkhoff and Flyer speed pedelecs. Great bikes but unfortunately technically illegal in Belgium. We have the same 25 km/h rule like in the UK and the most of Europe. When I asked the bike vendors about this they basically said not to worry because police has other priorities (which is probably true). They sell a ton of them and nobody cares. Didn't want to take the risk anyways because I'm using this bike for a 68 miles commute and if I would get in a accident, that would be big troubles because of no insurance. Big companies like Kalkhoff should take note and deliver the necessary paperwork so you can legally have a fast pedelec. Kalkhoff has no excuse if a small company like PG can do it!!

C

Cyclezee

Wow Freegeek, that is some bike you have got there:cool:
Dare I ask how much it cost for the bike and how much to insure and register for use on the road:eek:

freegeek

Apr 17, 2011
Wow Freegeek, that is some bike you have got there:cool:
Dare I ask how much it cost for the bike and how much to insure and register for use on the road:eek:
5k euro for the bike and around 150 euro / year insurance, no taxes or anything to get it on the road
i know it's expensive but I was looking for a motorcycle or 125 cc moped to commute and this thing is way cooler and it gives me a good workout :D

oh and they also have like a 60k euro carbon fiber version :D

freegeek

Apr 17, 2011
what tests / licenses do you need in Belgium?
you are allowed to drive a moped or even a 125 cc motorcycle if you have a car license, so in my case, no additional test / licenses needed. Total upfront cost is the bike and insurance, no additional cost / taxes to get it on the road

freegeek

Apr 17, 2011
Is that a lead acid battery?
no, it's a Li-Ion, 48V-17Ah, comes with a 4 year, 1500 cycles warranty
80% charge in 1 hour, 100% charge in 3 hours

I'm not an expert but isn't lead acid like only used anymore in automobile starter motors
Never saw a lead acid battery used on a more or less recent electric bicycle