My wheel runs backwards HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
At the min it stands me at £75 i need gear kit and shifter so i guess £120 all in. Came with a brand new battery pack which i am going to rebuild to 42v 10A and fit it without the standard battery case which would only allow for 36v. With left over batteries i may make a rack mount battery . all in all not bad for the cost.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The brake screws off to leave a thread that's the same as the one on the other side. You'll probably need some heat to shift it if you want to put it back the correct way to suit the gears.

The wheel and motor look to be correct for that bike when you compare with the photos in the link in my previous post.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You should have posted photos earlier or at least explained what you had. We all assumed that it had been working, but reversed when you bought a new controller.

These pictures seem to show the brake on the bulbous side and the gears on the flat removable side:
Some Photos would have saved a lot of time and misunderstanding.
So basically, the motor revolved in the correct direction, but the clutch could not engage, being backwards orientated! Interesting problem!
One would think that some sort of "revolving sound" might have alerted the owner earlier......
But I'm really glad that its finally fixed at last!
Someone had mounted something, "arse about face", as we would have said in the RN years ago (and maybe even today!!)....
Andy

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
The brake screws off to leave a thread that's the same as the one on the other side. You'll probably need some heat to shift it if you want to put it back the correct way to suit the gears.

The wheel and motor look to be correct for that bike when you compare with the photos in the link in my previous post.
But there is no need as everything is on the correct side! all the threads run the correct way. just the same as in the photo you put up.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So basically, the motor revolved in the correct direction, but the clutch could not engage, being backwards orientated! Interesting problem!
One would think that some sort of "revolving sound" might have alerted the owner earlier......
Someone had mounted something, "arse about face", as we would have said in the RN years ago (and maybe even today!!)....
Andy
No. The clutch was correctly installed. The motor worked correctly, but someone put the brake on the wrong side, so, by assuming that the brake was normal, he put the wheel in the wrong way round with the wrongly installed brake on the correct side.

It's not possible to install the clutch backwards.

Pukka got in in the first reply.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
Andy
I have just asked my son who is in the Fleet Air Arm.... He says: shut up. stop being a cock! ? kids ehh. B.Z.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
No. The clutch was correctly installed. The motor worked correctly, but someone put the brake on the wrong side, so he put the wheel in the wrong way round.

OMG Honda riders... LMAO.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
No. The clutch was correctly installed. The motor worked correctly, but someone put the brake on the wrong side, so, by assuming that the brake was normal, he put the wheel in the wrong way round with the wrongly installed brake on the correct side.

It's not possible to install the clutch backwards.

Do you go to Squires in Sherburn? IF you do Im gonna rock up on the Zipper in my leathers n sidi's then take the thing apart infront of you....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is one other tell tail sign as to why the motor is on backwards and the brake has been screwed on the wrong side, and that is the motor plate cover they all undo from the RHS at least all the ones I have seen/used or repaired are.
Unfortunately all your problems are because your second hand bike has been set up incorrectly by a previous owner or repairer.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
There is one other tell tail sign why the motor is on backwards and the brake has been screwed on the wrong side, and that is the motor plate cover they all undo from the RHS.
We could have a little bet here. if you can unscrew the brake drum i would give you the bike. Loose and i want yours? confidant?

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
There is one other tell tail sign as to why the motor is on backwards and the brake has been screwed on the wrong side, and that is the motor plate cover they all undo from the RHS at least all the ones I have seen/used or repaired are.
Unfortunately all your problems are because your second hand bike has been set up incorrectly by a previous owner or repairer.
if you look at the pictures of the bike vfr put up, this one is set up the same. i think there was confuddlement because i took the picture when the bike was upside down, Mind you I did say so....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
if you look at the pictures of the bike vfr put up, this one is set up the same. i think there was confuddlement because i took the picture when the bike was upside down, Mind you I did say so....
If you look carefully at the d8veh/vfr's link to the bike you can clearly see that the screwed on side plate is clearly on the side of the gearing as is the same with all hub motor's.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
If you look carefully at the d8veh/vfr's link to the bike you can clearly see that the screwed on side plate is clearly on the side of the gearing as is the same with all hub motor's.
Well I am the one who is sat looking at this thing prodding n poking it, so your gonna have to take my word for it. it is as i say it is. Thanks for the help btw

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
We can only tell you how it is. it's up to you what you want to do; however, I think you're going to have some problems with the gears when you put them on the wrong side, which you may or may not find out in the future when you come to fit them.

To get the brake off, heat it up until it's just too hot to touch, then give it a good heave-ho in the anti-clockwise direction. Use motorbike gloves.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
We can only tell you how it is. it's up to you what you want to do; however, I think you're going to have some problems with the gears when you put them on the wrong side, which you may or may not find out in the future when you come to fit them.

To get the brake off, heat it up until it's just too hot to touch, then give it a good heave-ho in the anti-clockwise direction. Use motorbike gloves.

aji2020

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2020
Usually with learn wires you need to connect /disconnect them until the motor runs the correct way then turn off the bike before disconnecting the wires a final time, next start up should have the motor running the right way. Perseverance it the name of the game or buy a better controller system. They also sync the motor phase automatically so eventually they should find the right combo.
just wanted to say thanks for this info. I was going crazy over a backwards running wheel, it was my first experience changing a controller and your info about perseverance paid off. I tried about 4 times, i couldn't believe it when the brainpower spun the wheel the right way. Great! And it was the best thing to put it in corresponding colours blue yellow green as you said. Joined the site also to say thanks!

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's nice to hear some one having an issue/problem who follows our advice and has a successful out come.