My wheel runs backwards HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Are you going to take back your GOTSCHA ?
Simply ask yourself these questions first, before I attempt to clarify why I mentioned it:-
"who managed to screw up the wiring to both fields and halls?"
"Who was very sparse with information at first?"
"Who apparently did not understand what he was trying to do?"
The answer is that you did both, thats the "Gotschas" in this case.
May I in a friendly way, say that getting full information first, might have made the job far easier in retrospect!
What some people have done (including a very professional bike shop that I know), they have invested a tiny bit of money in an e-bike tester, like the one in this video.
The shop because it also allows testing of parts NOT yet installed in a bike, and its a rapid test for them, no fiddling with multi meters!
(Though I myself have not got my sticky fingers on one to test yet - sadly!)
Apparently, this shows the direction of rotation clearly for owners of such units, with the circle of LEDs, for motor field testing for example and other LEDs for testing all the Hall effect sensors.
Then at least you will know if one is defective or not, plus you get certain "rotation" information from both as well...
It uses only a cheap Alkaline 9 volt block battery, not the bike battery, which reduces the possibility of electrical dangers quite dramatically I should guess.
Whether you wish to pay for one or not is of course your final decision, I just wanted to make sure that you are fully aware of them, in a friendly fashion of course.
This time with no "GOTSCHA!"
I also hope that the problem is fully solved for you before this weekend's riding is completely gone!
Best wishes.
Andy

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
I did read, but you swapped wrongly, that is why I gave you exact details, how to do it correctly. OK?
You swapped all three, that leaves the direction of rotation, just as it was before!!
Its a 3 field motor !GOTCHA! That many fail to understand....
Watch this:-
Andy
I did read, but you swapped wrongly, that is why I gave you exact details, how to do it correctly. OK?
You swapped all three, that leaves the direction of rotation, just as it was before!!
Its a 3 field motor !GOTCHA! That many fail to understand....
Watch this:-
Andy
Show me where in my original post that it says i swapped ALL 3 phase wires? That's rights it Doesn't.. Your a know nothing bell end if truth be known. Stop trying to make yourself sound clever when a newbie ask for help, leave to the real experts.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
I would set the all wiring phase and hall back to original which likely was colour to colour matched then revert to trying the 'Learn wires' which may take several attempts for it to sync the controller, if eventually you get nowhere disconnect them and try manually using the chart and noting down on paper each characteristic of the connection to narrow down possible combo's one or two will work. Some will work fwd and some bckw , some will just make a horrible unsynced connection noise and some will just stutter with wrong hall connection. Don't use throttle if fitted for testing but PAS on low power so you don't damage the controller, until it is running correctly you risk damage then you can give it full current.
Thanks Neilh, Thats what im planning to try today.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Simply ask yourself these questions first, before I attempt to clarify why I mentioned it:-
"who managed to screw up the wiring to both fields and halls?"
"Who was very sparse with information at first?"
"Who apparently did not understand what he was trying to do?"
The answer is that you did both, thats the "Gotschas" in this case.
May I in a friendly way, say that getting full information first, might have made the job far easier in retrospect!
What some people have done (including a very professional bike shop that I know), they have invested a tiny bit of money in an e-bike tester, like the one in this video.
The shop because it also allows testing of parts NOT yet installed in a bike, and its a rapid test for them, no fiddling with multi meters!
(Though I myself have not got my sticky fingers on one to test yet - sadly!)
Apparently, this shows the direction of rotation clearly for owners of such units, with the circle of LEDs, for motor field testing for example and other LEDs for testing all the Hall effect sensors.
Then at least you will know if one is defective or not, plus you get certain "rotation" information from both as well...
It uses only a cheap Alkaline 9 volt block battery, not the bike battery, which reduces the possibility of electrical dangers quite dramatically I should guess.
Whether you wish to pay for one or not is of course your final decision, I just wanted to make sure that you are fully aware of them, in a friendly fashion of course.
This time with no "GOTSCHA!"
I also hope that the problem is fully solved for you before this weekend's riding is completely gone!
Best wishes.
Andy
Andy, you are single-handedly ruining this great forum with your constant aggressive posting.
Nothing wrong with eating humble pie once in a while.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks Neilh, Thats what im planning to try today.
an hour spend on a cold kitchen floor later.... all permutations tried. Nada i'm afraid. some times the motor runs the correct way very slowly with no torque whatsoever but as soon as throttle is applied it flys off the wrong way at full pelt - open the throttle and motor stops and again slowly rotates the right way with no torque.
Never having played with ebike motors before i dont know if this is indicative of a fault but when the learn wires are disconnected the motor does not do anything at all. no hum nothing.
Not wanting to buy new parts until i can work out what is at fault controller or motor? im half suspecting the Controller but like i said this is the first time playing with bike kit.

Last edited:

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
Andy, you are single-handedly ruining this great forum with your constant aggressive posting.
Nothing wrong with eating humble pie once in a while.
Strange behavior... He wants respect but generates disrespect. wish I had a quid for every Andy i have met. .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Strange behavior... He wants respect but generates disrespect. wish I had a quid for every Andy i have met. .
Andy-mat is a complete waker. He thinks he knows about these things, but he hasn't a clue. He just keeps copying stuff from the internet without understanding how it works. To help him for the future, I will explain below, but I think he's incapable of learning.

These controllers have a self-learning procedure. You can put the hall and phase wires in any sequence you want. It makes no difference. The controller will analyse them, then figure out its timing and sequence to suit. You need the exact LCD manual for the software version you have because there may be a setting to reverse the direction by software. I have seen some similar controllers correct the direction of rotation after multiple tries of the self-learning procedure, but other times, that didn't work. It might help if you jog the wheel in the right direction while it's doing it, but that doesn't work with a geared motor.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I am watching this topic, just to see how long it takes for you to be up and running again.
Other than Neal, I see no useful posts today that have helped you in the slightest.......
Thankfully, tomorrow is a new day....
Andy

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
I am watching this topic, just to see how long it takes for you to be up and running again.
Other than Neal, I see no useful posts today that have helped you in the slightest.......
Thankfully, tomorrow is a new day....
Andy
Usually with learn wires you need to connect /disconnect them until the motor runs the correct way then turn off the bike before disconnecting the wires a final time, next start up should have the motor running the right way. Perseverance it the name of the game or buy a better controller system. They also sync the motor phase automatically so eventually they should find the right combo.
Well Having striped the motor down and powered it up out of the wheel hub it does indeed spin both ways. the gears however have a one way clutch! quite how this motor ever worked with the chain gear on the normal right hand side is a mystery. Maybe its the Australian version . Bin Fodder i lost the will to live lol

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Well Having striped the motor down and powered it up out of the wheel hub it does indeed spin both ways. the gears however have a one way clutch! quite how this motor ever worked with the chain gear on the normal right hand side is a mystery. Maybe its the Australian version . Bin Fodder i lost the will to live lol
I get the impression from your words, that someone has somehow put it back together, "arse about face"......is that even possible?
What say you?
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
d8veh is this fleeting hello or are you back to stay, if the latter welcome back chap and if the former still nice of you to say hi.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
vfr posts now and again about world affairs on the hidden forum thread Neal. Good to see him back giving advice along with your good self.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
Hello, Hope some clever clogs can help me here i'm tearing my hair out

Today i got the brushless controller plugged it all in and the wheel runs backwards. I have tried swaping phase wires- no good. Tried messing with the "learning"wires on the controller to reverse motor- no good. FYI the controller is brain brushless 250w. there are no wires to short out and enable reverse as i have seen on some controllers, so im stuck!

Not sure if this will shed any light but the bike is a Zipper Z1 folding bike. ( all bought second hand ) controller off ebay used. so unsure if it is a dodgy controller or a dodgy motor or i am missing something else.

All sensible suggestions appreciated.
My wheels no longer runs backwards.....As explained someone cobbled the motor together unknown to me, the clutch freewheeled the wrong direction. the cure was open the clutch mech and weld it fixed, no clutch. job done.
A little bit more digging on this forum and I have the perameters set up and working a treat. If anyone wants any pictures of the clutch fix let me know.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My wheels no longer runs backwards.....As explained someone cobbled the motor together unknown to me, the clutch freewheeled the wrong direction. the cure was open the clutch mech and weld it fixed, no clutch. job done.
A little bit more digging on this forum and I have the perameters set up and working a treat. If anyone wants any pictures of the clutch fix let me know.
What would be more interesting would be see photos that show which motor it is as well as the clutch.

Aikema and Q series motors have reversible clutches. You just take them out and flip them, though the motors don't like to run backwards, so you have to try many controllers to get them to work like that.

A long time ago, Mekaniker commissioned a small batch of reverse Bafang clutches for DIY modification to use the motors in special circumstances, like Stoke Monkey type installations. Apart from those, I've never heard of or seen a reverse clutch. They went all over the world, so the chance of finding one would be very small.

In the interest of expanding wisdom, please show the photos.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
What would be more interesting would be see photos that show which motor it is as well as the clutch.

Aikema and Q series motors have reversible clutches. You just take them out and flip them, though the motors don't like to run backwards, so you have to try many controllers to get them to work like that.

A long time ago, Mekaniker commissioned a small batch of reverse Bafang clutches for DIY modification to use the motors in special circumstances, like Stoke Monkey type installations. Apart from those, I've never heard of or seen a reverse clutch. They went all over the world, so the chance of finding one would be very small.

In the interest of expanding wisdom, please show the photos.
Done. Still no wiser what the motor is though.

SO. the clutch. I took the grinder and opened the back to find a SMJR spring mounted jamming roller
( made up terminology ) remove the spring wedge the roller tight-weld Job done.

Hope it helps someone in the future.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd say that the motor was working correctly, but the brake is on the wrong side. It's a band-brake version, so has a threaded boss on both sides. I thought the threads would be opposite ways, but maybe not. The brake is definitely on the wrong side because the axle has the clearance and stop for the gear cluster in the middle photo above. Besides all that, your photo shows a normal clutch with the correct orientation.

Does the rim sit central in the frame with it that way round?

You should have posted photos earlier or at least explained what you had. We all assumed that it had been working, but reversed when you bought a new controller.

These pictures seem to show the brake on the bulbous side and the gears on the flat removable side:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes certainly motor was in back to front, no wonder it appeared to be going backwards when in fact it was mounted incorrectly.
As Vfr has said pics to start with might have saved a few headaches.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
I'd say that the motor was working correctly, but the brake is on the wrong side. It's a band-brake version, so has a threaded boss on both sides. I thought the threads would be opposite ways, but maybe not. The brake is definitely on the wrong side because the axle has the clearance and stop for the gear cluster in the middle photo above. Does the rim sit central in the frame with it that way round?

You should have posted photos earlier.
The picture is taken with the bike upside down. Chain on the right brake on the left. The wheel is centered ok. There is no thread on both side though, if you look at the hub only one side comes off.The brake side is intergrated with the hub cover plate to the motor.
I have 30-35mm available to try fit a seven speed freewheel sprocket, so that is the next job then cobble the brake kit to be secured to the frame. It did have a single speed freewheel sprocket on so the threads are correct. i just removed it. My guess is the wheel is for a different bike alltogether but im almost there so we shall see how it looks when finished.

wakefield

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2020
Yes certainly motor was in back to front, no wonder it appeared to be going backwards when in fact it was mounted incorrectly.
As Vfr has said pics to start with might have saved a few headaches.
maybe so, we live n learn. I dont believe its mounted incorrect as I always thought chain was on the right? And that is where it is. the confusion was the clutch freewheeled the wrong way which wasnt apparent to me at the outset. so i was looking elsewhere.