My wife has little legs.

Mugshot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2013
Hello, I'm hoping for some advice if possible. I'd like to buy my wife an electric bike as a birthday present, but I'm struggling with frame sizes. I've been looking at the Sant Ana and the Powacycle Prague, amongst others, but my wife is 5'3" with a 27" inside leg. Apart from folders I seem to be having difficulty finding a bike which wont be too big, could anybody offer me the benefit of their experience please? Thank you :)

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
Thank you flecc, the problem is thats more money than I have to play with.
I did speak to woosh Artstu and they seemed to think it may be ok with a different seat post, I suppose I'm hoping that someone has had to overcome the same issue I think I'm having.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
T I suppose I'm hoping that someone has had to overcome the same issue I think I'm having.
You say in the OP your wife has a 27" inside leg.

My inside leg is only 29" and I can ride a 19" bike with a fair bit of the seatpost showing.

I think your wife's legs are plenty long enough for a 26" wheel step through.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Just let me check the door's closed ... good. I have to tell you the J has little legs, well at 5'2" she would. She happily rides a Juicy Classic bike - both to the local pub - sorry, local shop and also a couple of 40km charity rides. The price is right too .
Happy ebiking
Tom

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Fast4ward Ride could be worth a shout. Though not sure if this is above your budget RRP for 36volt version is £999. Good luck with the search.

DW

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the replies so far, it's very much appreciated :)

You say in the OP your wife has a 27" inside leg.

My inside leg is only 29" and I can ride a 19" bike with a fair bit of the seatpost showing.

I think your wife's legs are plenty long enough for a 26" wheel step through.
I'd be inclined to agree with you, but according to the Woosh site only their mono folder is suitable for an inside leg below 29"

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
My wife would appear to have the same dimensions as yours. If you can give me time, I will get her to try my Santana and then report back to you. It is certainly value for money, when compared to similar step-through bikes. The ones offering a two year warranty are usually twice as much to buy, so if you allow for a battery and motor after a year, the Woosh bikes are a good bet, as those items are a decent price from Woosh, should you have to replace them. You would have to be very unlucky to need those items, but I have only been an owner for a couple of months and 360 miles.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Mugshot,

I am 5 ft 2 and think my inside leg is 28" - but can't find the tape measure (one of the boys has stolen it again).
But I do ride the Santana quite often with a seat post that isn't sprung, flip forward type and at standstill I can just balance on the tips of my toes without wobbling (both feet) but usually just put my right leg fully down at stand still, leaning slightly over, left leg high ready to start in the usual way.
It depends if your wife wants to have both feet firmly planted on the floor when she comes to a standstill. If she does, she would have to get a low profile seat post like this one:

RALEIGH MICRO ADJUSTABLE QUALITY MTB SEATPOST ALL SIZES | eBay

If you are within striking distance of one of our two stores, best would be she comes along for a try.

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
My wife would appear to have the same dimensions as yours. If you can give me time, I will get her to try my Santana and then report back to you. It is certainly value for money, when compared to similar step-through bikes. The ones offering a two year warranty are usually twice as much to buy, so if you allow for a battery and motor after a year, the Woosh bikes are a good bet, as those items are a decent price from Woosh, should you have to replace them. You would have to be very unlucky to need those items, but I have only been an owner for a couple of months and 360 miles.
That would be wonderful Chainring, thank you very much. Are you happy with the bike overall?

D

Deleted member 4366

The reason that it's not suitable for short legs is because it has a suspension seat pin that stops the seat from going right down. You can buy a normal seat pin for a few quid that will let the seat down further so that the bike will then be suitable.

I'm sure that if you ask Woosh nicely, they'll swap the seat pin for a normal one at zero cost.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, perfectly. Very comfortable riding position. I put the original saddle back on, at lowest level, and my wife can sit on it in much the same way as Hatti has described! If you can sit on it with your feet flat on the floor, then you will end up pedalling with bent legs, which is not good for the knees. I can vouch for this, when riding a borrowed bike to work for some time. The distance to the top of the Santana saddle from the ground is 35 inches. The Viking Prelude my wife rides is 36 inches for this same measurement. Hope this helps.

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
Hi Mugshot,

I am 5 ft 2 and think my inside leg is 28" - but can't find the tape measure (one of the boys has stolen it again).
But I do ride the Santana quite often with a seat post that isn't sprung, flip forward type and at standstill I can just balance on the tips of my toes without wobbling (both feet) but usually just put my right leg fully down at stand still, leaning slightly over, left leg high ready to start in the usual way.
It depends if your wife wants to have both feet firmly planted on the floor when she comes to a standstill. If she does, she would have to get a low profile seat post like this one:

RALEIGH MICRO ADJUSTABLE QUALITY MTB SEATPOST ALL SIZES | eBay

If you are within striking distance of one of our two stores, best would be she comes along for a try.
Thanks, it's quite possible I spoke to you yesterday. Unfortunately I'm an awfully long way from you in deepest, darkest south west Wales, it would probably spoil the surprise too ;) My wife wouldn't be concerned if she couldn't put her feet flat on the floor.
Just between the two of us the Sant Ana is the front runner if I can confirm it will definitely fit.

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
Yes, perfectly. Very comfortable riding position. I put the original saddle back on, at lowest level, and my wife can sit on it in much the same way as Hatti has described! If you can sit on it with your feet flat on the floor, then you will end up pedalling with bent legs, which is not good for the knees. I can vouch for this, when riding a borrowed bike to work for some time. The distance to the top of the Santana saddle from the ground is 35 inches. The Viking Prelude my wife rides is 36 inches for this same measurement. Hope this helps.
Chainring that is fantastic, thank you so so much :D

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Please note, that my bike is the original Santana, not the crank-drive one with a suspension seat post. I did put a brief review on this forum as part of the 'Santana - rose or thorn?' thread.

Mugshot

Jun 22, 2013
Please note, that my bike is the original Santana, not the crank-drive one with a suspension seat post. I did put a brief review on this forum as part of the 'Santana - rose or thorn?' thread.
Are they the same frame though, just a different post?
I have read your review :)

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I think you will have to check with Hatti on that one. The battery and controller are in different places. That may make a difference.