Nano electric conversion kit on Brompton

Stella21

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2015
Following a knee injury I decided to fit an electric motor onto my Brompton and after studying reviews purchased a Nano electric conversion kit in March 2014 . I chose that system as feedback was good and I liked the easy separation and carriage of battery unit from bike. After 6 months I observed a slight noise when the throttle was engaged but as it didn't affect performance I ignored it. Three months after the warranty elapsed the motor stopped working. I contacted Nano ,expressed my dissatisfaction and asked for a replacement wheel as I considered that for the motor to fail after limited use indicated a manufacturing problem. I offered to meet the cost of labour and absorb the loss of a day's work in transporting the bike to my electric bike engineer. I was first offered a repair then a new wheel supplied at £215. Plus labour and loss of my time that would have meant a final bill approaching £400.
I consider this poor customer service and had I known I would be facing such additional bills within 15months of purchase I would have looked elsewhere.
The outcome is my electric bike supplier has provided great service and fitted me a second hand motor wheel for £100 with free labour so I am back on the road albeit with a second hand motor with unknown lifespan . I do not feel I can I recommend Nano electric conversion kit

Sent from my iPad

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My understanding is nano use tongxin motors which, while light and very free running when not under power, are relatively fragile compared to the motor market in general

I believe keyde are kings of lightweight small assist motors

If you search for Jerry Simon on this forum you will find lots of info. He is king oft Hr Brompton and light weight builds . He switched to keyde a couple of years back

Cheers

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
...and the wait continues for the factory e-Brompton.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nearly all electric bike motors will give problems if you don't use them correctly, which makes it very difficult for suppliers when it comes to warranty claims. If you had done some research, you would know that Nano motors are particularly fragile, so it's vital that you follow any usage instructions and limitations. The motor was warranted for 12 months. Even if you jumped off a kurb or hit a pothole to damage it, your claim would still be honoured even though it would be your fault, not the motor's. After 12 months, you're on your own; however, a good supplier should help you out by giving you a replacement at cost price plus postage, which I would estimate to be about £150.

I can't understand how you got from £215 to £400. Fitting a new front wheel is a 3 minute job, which you could have done in less time than it did to type your post. Where does the £185 go?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Dealer margin?

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
Nearly all electric bike motors will give problems if you don't use them correctly, which makes it very difficult for suppliers when it comes to warranty claims. If you had done some research, you would know that Nano motors are particularly fragile, so it's vital that you follow any usage instructions and limitations. The motor was warranted for 12 months. Even if you jumped off a kurb or hit a pothole to damage it, your claim would still be honoured even though it would be your fault, not the motor's. After 12 months, you're on your own; however, a good supplier should help you out by giving you a replacement at cost price plus postage, which I would estimate to be about £150.

I can't understand how you got from £215 to £400. Fitting a new front wheel is a 3 minute job, which you could have done in less time than it did to type your post. Where does the £185 go?
-----------------------------------
Mmmm not good reading as I've just had the latest Nano kit fitted! Thought I'd done enough research but obviously not-- any chance of explaining where exactly the fragility is in the motor and any warning signs to take note of please.

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
-----------------------------------
Mmmm not good reading as I've just had the latest Nano kit fitted! Thought I'd done enough research but obviously not-- any chance of explaining where exactly the fragility is in the motor and any warning signs to take note of please.
Fitted to a Brompton.

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
Thanks a lot for answering my post and for the link--- It highlights the points I wanted to know about but I'm surprised as a lot of bikes must have this motor installed therefore I would have expected more complaints of unreliability on the site? Are there any other recent owners that are pleased with the good service they've had from these motors?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Most of the owners are pleased with them. I don't see much complain about it in this forum. I believe as long as you don't stress the motor too much on hills or overvolt it you will be fine.

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
Most of the owners are pleased with them. I don't see much complain about it in this forum. I believe as long as you don't stress the motor too much on hills or overvolt it you will be fine.
Yes I think your absolutely correct, giving it assistance especially from standing start on hills and continued assistance after that--- luckily I dont mind pedalling only want the strain relieved at times like going to work at 5am--yawn.Thanks for the reassurance. T

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010
I love my Nano brompton conversion, so far have done over 5,500 miles over two years. Only had two problems, one where the rings in the motor needed replacing and this was all done under the warranty and more recently the connection. I now had to replace the orginal battery and now using the bosch 4AH battery.
My daily work journey 8 miles each way means no sweat and great for my knees and best all i can wear my work clothes and not needing a shower...I still peddle all the way. The great aspect of the brompton is that I take it into work place buildings and never had to leave it out.

Pabs

Reactions: Torque

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
I love my Nano brompton conversion, so far have done over 5,500 miles over two years. Only had two problems, one where the rings in the motor needed replacing and this was all done under the warranty and more recently the connection. I now had to replace the orginal battery and now using the bosch 4AH battery.
My daily work journey 8 miles each way means no sweat and great for my knees and best all i can wear my work clothes and not needing a shower...I still peddle all the way. The great aspect of the brompton is that I take it into work place buildings and never had to leave it out.

Pabs
Great to hear your getting good service all round from your Brompton and hopefully I expect the same. Thanks for posting!

nanobikes

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Leamington Spa
Following a knee injury I decided to fit an electric motor onto my Brompton and after studying reviews purchased a Nano electric conversion kit in March 2014 . I chose that system as feedback was good and I liked the easy separation and carriage of battery unit from bike. After 6 months I observed a slight noise when the throttle was engaged but as it didn't affect performance I ignored it. Three months after the warranty elapsed the motor stopped working. I contacted Nano ,expressed my dissatisfaction and asked for a replacement wheel as I considered that for the motor to fail after limited use indicated a manufacturing problem. I offered to meet the cost of labour and absorb the loss of a day's work in transporting the bike to my electric bike engineer. I was first offered a repair then a new wheel supplied at £215. Plus labour and loss of my time that would have meant a final bill approaching £400.
I consider this poor customer service and had I known I would be facing such additional bills within 15months of purchase I would have looked elsewhere.
The outcome is my electric bike supplier has provided great service and fitted me a second hand motor wheel for £100 with free labour so I am back on the road albeit with a second hand motor with unknown lifespan . I do not feel I can I recommend Nano electric conversion kit

Sent from my iPad
Hi - this is Lynda from nano electric bikes. It is important to put the record straight on this. We received your wheel back with the motor opened up and in pieces so we couldn't actually work out what was wrong in the first place. Both the motor and the casing were so badly damaged by being opened up and taken apart that we could only replace the whole motor - which we did with a refurbished motor at a discounted price. If your wheel had been sent straight to us we could have repaired it and returned it for a small charge, or free under the 12 month warranty, within in about 48 hours. Non of this was your fault and the company that did your original fitting, which is not part of nano, admitted they should not have tried to repair the motor themselves but the impression given here is that nano did something wrong when actually we did everything we could to get you back on your Brompton..

Reactions: DataSilo

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi - this is Lynda from nano electric bikes. It is important to put the record straight on this. We received your wheel back with the motor opened up and in pieces so we couldn't actually work out what was wrong in the first place. Both the motor and the casing were so badly damaged by being opened up and taken apart that we could only replace the whole motor - which we did with a refurbished motor at a discounted price. If your wheel had been sent straight to us we could have repaired it and returned it for a small charge, or free under the 12 month warranty, within in about 48 hours. Non of this was your fault and the company that did your original fitting, which is not part of nano, admitted they should not have tried to repair the motor themselves but the impression given here is that nano did something wrong when actually we did everything we could to get you back on your Brompton..
Worth pointing out the complaint was made two years ago, Stella 21 joined to make it, and has not posted or been back since.

My Brompton Nano, which I sold a couple of years ago, is still giving good commuting service to the lady solicitor who bought it.

Word did reach me the throttle packed in, but that was replaced by my local bike shop who sold the bike for me on commisssion.