Nano for a Brompton in the South East - recommendations please?

J2Bs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2014
Hi there,

I just introduced myself and was hoping it'd be ok to reiterate my query here - and also as it's not proving too easy to find somewhere local that could fit a Nano kit to my Brompton.

I live in West Sussex and commute to London so people around either area would be great if anyone has recommendations?

If anyone has the Nano or other kit on their Brompton, I'd love to get any advice. I'm about to have a longer and more hilly commute home from the station and can see cycling resentment kicking in pretty quickly, so thought I'd nip in the bud before I go nuts!

What with moving home and a three month old baby, I'm looking not looking to self-build.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a Brompton Nano and have been pleased with it.

That said, we need more details of your commute.

Is it going to be, to use the buzz phrase, multi-modal?

The Nano is a good conversion, but the weight of the motor impacts on the folded package, meaning it would not be very handy to lump on and off a train.

Add the weight of the battery in the Brommie bag, and I wonder if it is doable at all on a daily basis.

J2Bs

Jan 19, 2014
Thanks Rob,

So, I have a 2 mile downhill ride to the station. At the station there are some stairs, but only a few. I get the train to Victoria and then a 1.5 mile ride to the office. I reckon the smallest battery would easily do it as would only really use the motor on my way back up the hill in the evenings. I fold and unfold on the platform and push it.

In the office I need to carry it a little but probably only 2 lots of 10 metre stretches.

I'm late thirties and pretty fit and have got used to the weight of the folded M3L Brompton and find it easy to lug around. If there was an extra 2 kg in the bag and also the bike, would it really make that much difference?

I do already carry a laptop sometimes in the Brompton bag and it doesn't make that much of a pain.

Cheers again Rob, would be great to hear your thoughts!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob,

So, I have a 2 mile downhill ride to the station. At the station there are some stairs, but only a few. I get the train to Victoria and then a 1.5 mile ride to the office. I reckon the smallest battery would easily do it as would only really use the motor on my way back up the hill in the evenings. I fold and unfold on the platform and push it.

In the office I need to carry it a little but probably only 2 lots of 10 metre stretches.

I'm late thirties and pretty fit and have got used to the weight of the folded M3L Brompton and find it easy to lug around. If there was an extra 2 kg in the bag and also the bike, would it really make that much difference?

I do already carry a laptop sometimes in the Brompton bag and it doesn't make that much of a pain.

Cheers again Rob, would be great to hear your thoughts!
The smallest battery would do it - easily.

You have already worked out the route and are familiar with Brompton use, so I agree, a bit of extra weight in the bike and bag shouldn't stop you.

As regards fitting, mine was done in a day trip to Leamington Spa, so it could be a pub lunch in Marlborough for you.

My bike is throttle only, which is great in stop/start traffic, but a bit wearing to use on longer rides.

There is a pedelec option, which in hindsight I would have added.

You won't need it for the commute, but the Nano is such a nice ride you might find yourself hitting the open road at the weekends.

Reactions: Dawn Daykin

J2Bs

Jan 19, 2014
Excellent - thanks Rob, very useful. Reckon I'll go test ride one, pick it up and test the weight etc

Wish I'd got all this sorted before!!

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
Hi there I have an m3l with conversion, and had to upgrade to the bigger battery ( I do live in yorkshire :) I can do long distances,but the definite downside is the very heavy front end, it is a big compromise
Dawn :)

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
All that said you can carry the bag in one hand (with battery) and bike in the other evening the load

Dawn Daykin

Feb 2, 2014
10ohm ? Is that the right term ? It weighs 4.4kg but gets around 40 miles, I have never run it down, but I started with the 5 battery which only weighs 2.2kg it was supposed to do 20 miles but I live in yorkshire and hills and wind made it a lot less

Reactions: superDove