narrowing down the choices

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
OK, I've narrowed the choices down to three (or at most four) now, I think. I have some questions about each. In no particular order of preference, they are:
Kudos Eiger
Oxygen Emate City
Volt Pulse
(and possibly Kalkhoff Sahel i360)
I've ridden the Oxygen and Volt - but I'd like to know, which motor is considered the best climber - the Bafang (Volt) or the Dapu (Oxygen). I'm hoping to be able to try a Sahel when I get back to Bristol in a week or so but I'm not sure if I can pedal hard enough for a torque sensor bike and also, with the price rise, I'm not sure I can afford it either :)
The Kudos Eiger, I don't think I can try anywhere fairly local. However, it does sound as though it would suit me well (having a speed sensor, rather than torque and I like the NuVinci hub). However, two particular questions, will it take a rear rack? and will the thumb throttle be enough to get me moving on a hill, so that I can start the pedals turning without too much effort (knee problem).
Thanks all,
Helen

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Helen,the Kudos Eiger is a niche bike,the Nuvinci hub is a very smooth and easy gear change,it is possible to fit a rear rack,look on Jimod's postings,he fitted one to his Typhoon and many have fitted them to Tornado and Arriba bikes. The thumb throttle works up to 6 kph as a take off device.
The Eiger is the easiest bike to ride in the Kudos range.
Not sure we're you live but the London Electric Bike Company in Hampton Wick ,Surrey has over 40 different bikes in stock,it is next to Bushy Park,part of Hampton Court ,which has a traffic free 4 km bike ride to test any bike. You may wish to compare with the KTM bikes.
50 cycles is only 200 metres up the road so you can try the Kalhoff bikes there.
I know of no other part of the UK which has such a source of e bikes to test.
KudosDave

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
Thank you Dave. I live near Bristol (though I'm in France at the moment and missed the Sunday event ) so not that easy for me to get to Surrey to test them all, though that would be the ideal.
-H

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You would buy the Eiger because you like the Nuvinci hub and the smoothness of the combined crank drive and Nuvinci. However the best hill climber in the Kudos range is the Kudos Tornado.
The Tornado can take a rack,cost less than £20, we have fitted many and the Tornado is a speed sensor.
It's for these differences that I strongly suggest you visit a dealer who can offer a choice of testing.
I don't think the Dapu or Bafang 8 fun motor can match the climbing ability of the Tornado BPM motor.
Trying to give you honest answers but I find that buying an ebike is a very personal purchase,more so than say a car,you do need to try these bikes.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

I've ridden the Oxygen and Volt - but I'd like to know, which motor is considered the best climber - the Bafang (Volt) or the Dapu (Oxygen).
The oxygen has the smoother and quieter Dapu motor. It has much more climbing power potential, but Oxygen run it at only 15 amps, so it doesn't reach it's full potential. There's the volt Plus (or whatever it's called) with a bigger Bafang motor than the standard Volt, so will climb pretty well, but it's also more expensive.

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks, d8veh. It's just occurred to me, reading bristol_lass's post, that I don't know the size of the Kudos bikes. I'm 5'3" - the Oxygen and Volt bikes were ok but I don't know if the Tornado or Eiger would be suitable. I definitely want a bike with a crossbar, not a step-through.
I will see if I can arrange to go to Hampton Wick sometime soon.
-H

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Helen,the Eiger,Tornado,Cobra,Arriba all have the same size frame and seat post. To accomodate as many heights of rider we have a short seat tube and long seat post,so I dont think you will have a problem with saddle height. What may be a problem is reach,it may be necessary to fit a shorter handlebar stem,but its not difficult.
At the LEBC at Hampton Wick they have their own bike,the Vita 26. I might be talking myself out of a sale but that bike may also suit you well and its really good value at £695.00,just check their website.
We have a small bike called the Tempo but it was designed for very small riders,you may wish to try it ,just to compare.
KudosDave

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Sahel i360 is only now available in 50 or 55cm frame. This will probably be too big. Many shorter riders like the Sahel Compact. You can try one of these in Bristol (or in Devon if you're this side of Bristol).

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
Helen,the Eiger,Tornado,Cobra,Arriba all have the same size frame and seat post. To accomodate as many heights of rider we have a short seat tube and long seat post,so I dont think you will have a problem with saddle height. What may be a problem is reach,it may be necessary to fit a shorter handlebar stem,but its not difficult..
KudosDave
Thanks again, Dave. I'm not too worried about the reach, as I've always ridden bikes that were probably a bit on the long side, so I feel comfortable that way. It looks from their site that they don't currently have an Eiger, but an Ibex (am I right in thinking this doesn't have the NuVinci hub?).

The Sahel i360 is only now available in 50 or 55cm frame. This will probably be too big. Many shorter riders like the Sahel Compact. You can try one of these in Bristol (or in Devon if you're this side of Bristol).
Thanks, Jason, it looks like that one is out then (I'm narrowing it down in one way and opening it up in another :D). I've got a bike with 20" (Dahon Vitesse) wheels and don't like the riding position it so don't want to go for a bike with smaller wheels.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
[quote="Thanks, Jason, it looks like that one is out then (I'm narrowing it down in one way and opening it up in another :D). I've got a bike with 20" (Dahon Vitesse) wheels and don't like the riding position it so don't want to go for a bike with smaller wheels.[/quote]

I have ridden many 20" wheeled bikes and have a 16" Brompton. The Sahel Compact (and the Brompton) do not feel or ride like many smaller wheeled folders. I think if you tried a Sahel Compact, you would find it bears no comparison with the Dahon Vitesse. The riding position is very configurable and it feels great. I commute to work on one every day and it's extremely comfortable.

Reactions: Helen C

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
You would buy the Eiger because you like the Nuvinci hub and the smoothness of the combined crank drive and Nuvinci. However the best hill climber in the Kudos range is the Kudos Tornado.
The Tornado can take a rack,cost less than £20, we have fitted many and the Tornado is a speed sensor.
It's for these differences that I strongly suggest you visit a dealer who can offer a choice of testing.
I don't think the Dapu or Bafang 8 fun motor can match the climbing ability of the Tornado BPM motor.
Trying to give you honest answers but I find that buying an ebike is a very personal purchase,more so than say a car,you do need to try these bikes.
KudosDave
Old Neo bikes with bafang Bpm/cst motors used 22amp controller.When they changed to the Dapu motor the used 20 amp controller.People who have tried both say tha the Dapu version is at least as powerful as the Bpm version and that is with 2amp less than Bpm/cst

Reactions: trex and Helen C

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
in a previous post, you said you're 5ft3 - the mountain bikes may be a bit uncomfortable riding for long periods. Have you looked at the step throughs?

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
in a previous post, you said you're 5ft3 - the mountain bikes may be a bit uncomfortable riding for long periods. Have you looked at the step throughs?
Thanks Trex, I think I'll be fine. My regular bike until a couple of years ago was a crossbar style 19" frame (not sure how that equates to cm) hybrid with 700c wheels and i'm comfortable with that. I found the step-thru that I hired uncomfortable in almost every way so really don't want to buy one.
-H

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks
Hi Helen,

I know you are not keen on 20" wheels, but if you want serious climbing power then the eZee Street might be a suitable bike for you, if not then the eZee Sprint, but I think it might be too big.
Thanks, John. I will have a look at the Sprint. I'm assuming that has the same motor as the kit my son fitted? I know that would get me up the hill!
-H

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Helen,you are clearly an experienced cyclist, a 19" (48cm)frame with 700 c (27.5")wheels is certainly not a small bike,you will be comfortable on a 46cm seat post height with 26" wheels.
The subject of sizing is as much about confidence. When in Holland I saw some petite girls riding monster gents bikes,but the Dutch have a way of mounting a bike that exudes confidence and ease.
Occasionally we have a customer who insists on putting their foot flat on the floor at stop,this is a sure way of wrecking your knees when riding.
I have read again your OP and I am very confident that you will like the Kudos Tornado,provided the £1095.00 is within your budget,if you can accept a bit more effort for hill climbing then the Vita Uno 26 at £695.00 from the LEBC is same frame and brakes but without the BPM motor.
Whatever your choice we are prepared to send a bike to your home free of charge,if you don't like it,return it in new condition for £25.00 cost.I can organise that on the Tornado or Vita bikes.
If you can ignore the price I think the Tornado would suit you best because of your knee problem.
Hope that helps
KudosDave

C

Cyclezee

Thanks

Thanks, John. I will have a look at the Sprint. I'm assuming that has the same motor as the kit my son fitted? I know that would get me up the hill!
-H
Hi Helen,

Sorry, I didn't realise it was you:oops:

Yes the eZee bikes have the same motor etc., as your son's eZee kit and the performance is the same.

Having read your other posts, maybe the eZee Torq with it's 700c wheels is the bike for you?

They are on our website via the following link http://cyclezee.com/ezee-torq-mk3.html