Review NCM Moscow Plus 29

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Just bought one of these from ebay in silver. See below for the spec
or

Previously rode an Oxygen S-Cross CB (commuter version, not the MTB).

The two bikes look rather similar, the major difference is that the NCM Moscow is a 48V system compared to the Oxygen's 36V.
I can definitely feel the difference on the hills. My commute is ~14 miles each way into Sheffield and the NCM Moscow really pulls up the hills whereas I would feel the Oxygen slow on the steeper inclines.

I had derestricted the Oxygen and found the motor gave assistance to ~22mph. My commute would take around 1 hour.
I'm riding the NCM Moscow restricted and am finding the time to work is about the same, ~1 hr, so I think i'm making up the time on the hills.

Battery life is great, it comes with a 16AHr battery. I had the Oxygen recelled to 17AHr and it would use a little over half coming into work. I'd then charge at work for the journey home. I've not had to do that with the Moscow. Hot off the charger the battery display shows over 52V, and 50V when I arrive at work leaving ample for the journey home. I haven't tried finding the low voltage cutoff but I believe it is around 42V.

The one negative I have found is that the motor is rather sluggish to kick back in if you go from a decent to ascent quickly. I find I need to slow down to around 9-10 mph before the assistance kicks back in. Although this is rather minor and I will get used to it.

The bike does need a rack and mudguards. There are specific rack mounts on the bike and Leon cycles sell a specific rack:
Unfortunately it is out of stock. If anyone knows anywhere else that sells something similar I'd be grateful, otherwise I'll need to look at using a generic compatible. Which would be OK, but if you've got specific mounts it would be nice to use them.
Likewise with the mudguards, the bike comes with 29 2.25 Schwalbe Smart Sams and finding full mudguards for those is proving fun!

Photos to follow.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in buying a Oxygen S-Cross CB which intermittently cuts out but with a decent battery let me know or watch out for the post in the classifieds!

P.S. Interesting product from Leon Cycles here: https://www.leoncycle.de/C6BBT-15-Tuning-Display-Daumengashebel-fuer-zB-NCM-und-Leisger-E-Bikes
The system on the Moscow seems well tightened down and even after pressing button combinations, entering secret codes, there isn't a readily apparent method to change the controller settings. The above accessory could be good business sense from Leon Cycles!

Last edited:

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
170 miles in. Pics still to follow. Meant to mention in previous review, whereas the button on the batter on the S-Cross doesn't turn the battery off, it does on the Moscow, so turning on is a two step process. Turn on battery, turn on the bike. I'm unsure whether it is a good idea to turn the battery off after each use or when charging.

I've noticed the Smart Sam tires are occasionally catching on the bike stand when riding. I've bought some SKS mudguards and when I fit these I'll fit some small Schwable big apple tires which should not rub (2" cf 2.25" and knobbles). I tried a dry run of the mudguards but the knobbles of the Smart Sams' catch which is another reason to change tyre.