Nearly an e-Bike? efoldi.co.uk

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
My problem is having a heart condition that causes me chest pain whenever I exert myself - ie when I walk more than three car lengths, or lift anything of reasonable weight, by the way being 81 and already having seven coronary stents my Dr. describes me as being only half hearted! Great - it irritates me a lot, going to Hospital last week I took my Quingo Flyte mobility scooter in the car intending to use it to travel the lengthy distance between the hospital and the car park; (my Quartz e-folder stayed at home) - the Quingo Flyte weighs about 2cwt but it drives itself into or out of the car down purpose made ramps, assembling said ramps had me wrything in agony almost on the floor until a parked motorist came to my aid whereupon we managed to get the mobility scoot to the ground and me on its seat.
This hassle was the cause of me looking on the web for an alternative type of electric wheelchair, now visualise an electric scoot (sans pedals) that quickly folds to form a suitcase sized wheeled pull along trolley able to easily be put into a small car, on a train, bus and even a plane!
Powered by a 24v 12a lithium battery it has a level surface range of about 14 miles per charge, variable speed of between 4mph and 8mph, forward and reverse plus a considerable list of other amenities..... ingenious it certainly seems to be, and all for a price of £2199 vat exempt.

It appears to be suited to mobility transport but I’ve not found any reliable user recommendations, much less a Contact Us address!
Opinions or views appreciated. https://efoldi.co.uk/
My appologies if I have made an error quoting the link but do not know another way.

Jim

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Eagle, Thanks, managed to contact them and sorted a few things, its a very enterprising design and smart company to deal with, the product is manufactured in China - where else? but stored ready for delivery at Redhill, Surrey, I ordered two bikes yesterday and they were delivered 5 minutes ago by courier, oh, and I was given a further £100 (each) reduction upon ordering, the vat exemption was promptly honoured for both machines which I shall open following breakfast.

PS. The machines ARE fitted with lights and indicators..
As previously said, a Great Company to deal with.

Jim

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Having removed the packaging I have to say that this product has been made to the highest standard seen for many years, its CE’d throughout and the instruction book is a pure wonder printed on 150g photographic paper on 24 pages with copious quality photographs of assembly procedure.

I have to say I’m a bugger for quality and this product exhudes it everywhere one looks, I’ve been a keen motorcyclist most of my 81 years and still have four beauties in the garage - with this efoldi machine I have to add another!

Because of my difficulty in moving I have to rely heavily on forms of electric transport - very heavily in fact, yesterday (before arrival of the efoldi) I tried to walk around a garden centre and pretty well collapsed in pain during the walk, if only I’d had my efoldi machine I would have avoided all the pain....

This may sound like a recommendation, well perhaps it is - using the following address could save you another £100 off: http://www.efoldi.com/JWills1893 , this is a special offer made by efoldi.

Its just a bloody good product and well worth its cost.
One of the beauties is that unlike a pedelec one would never leave it parked outside, - just quickly fold it turning it into a very portable trolley suitcase, hand tow it around a supermarket, put it on a bus or train as hand luggage - or even an aeroplane, everything is covered.

I predict that once known this machine will go far in popularity.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleowl

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Jim,
That is great news.
Please keep us updated and make sure that you give positive feedback after using them for a while.
It will be helpful for others in a similar situation.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Yes, - its a great bike - properly refered to by DVLA. as an invalid carriage, it is a Class3 jobbie which means that it has a speed of 4 mph up to 8 mph, this means that it HAS TO be registered with DVLA and have a log book like other vehicles, it has to be re-licenced each year (for which there is no charge) BUT the problem comes after having filled in the correct but largely inappropriate V55/4, attached the required certificate of newness, a copy of the Technical Specifications photocopied from the manual+ a photo of the machine - and not least to be accompanied by means of personal identification......

Now where to send it? To DVLA? NO.
To a main post office dealing with vehicle licence renewals? Although I’ve yet to find one able to deal with Class 3 new applications for invalid carriages.
Such things as MAIN Post Offices are seemingly unknown to web browsers making the job more difficult!

Whether abiding by the Law or not in the meantime I’m using my eFOLDi and enjoying doing so.

Jim

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Perhaps the worst hurdle to overcome after aquiring the eFOLDi mobility scooter is registering it with DVLA, all difficulties have been created by outdated information contained on the web, misguided instruction is to take the completed DVLA Form V55/4 (for 1st registration of a Class 3 invalid carriage to the DVLA Local Office...., THESE DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE, and the DVLA enquiry line 0870 243 0444 also no longer exists!
Web instructions for completing Form V55/4 say that various personal ID information should be attached (driving licence, bank statement, recent utilities bill etc) THIS IS NOT NECESSARY WHEN APPLYING FOR A CLASS 3 DVLA REGISTRATION.
So:
Send the completed Form V55/4 + Certificate of Newness + Specification sheet (from Instruction Manual) to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BE , that’s it, within about 3 weeks a V5 Registration document should be received which must be renewed yearly in the normal way but Free.

To gain this info has cost me hours of web surfing plus at least £10.00 in those deceitful numerically tabbed phone calls, SEND NO MONEY to DVLA because Class 3 registration is FREE!

Here’s hoping that the information gleaned will be useful to any person interested in a truly delightful iFOLDi mobility scooter.....I just hate the official term ‘Invalid Carriage’ but of course being unable to walk that’s what I’ve become.

To find out more go to http//www.efoldi.com/JwIlls1893.

Jim

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
By comparrison with other scooters (pavement racers as I call them) the eFOLDi is or appears small in size, this has to be so to enable it to be carried rather like a wheeled suitcase, its smaller size does mean extra care has to be taken when traversing rough or ‘disturbed’ pavements and roadways which can only be negotiated at low speed.

While the scoot has a speed of up to 8 mph Low speed - up to 4 mph is best used in crowded areas like supermarkets and is controlled by a ‘half’ twist grip attached to the right handlebar having a very positive spring return to off position. When riding one’s feet are placed on fold-down foot rests attached close to the hub of the front wheel, they are just rests and not designed to bear the full weight of a rider, when steering using the handlebars one’s feet on the foot pegs follow through almost automatically even on the sharpest of turns which are made at very low speeds.

The scoot is equipped with front and rear switchable lighting - the front being a very bright LED, likewise front and rear direction indicators with audible signal and a brilliance one could not fail to notice; in keeping with modern technology there is an electronic horn fitted which somehow does not meet the mark but it is there to meet specification.
A single but very efficient brake is fitted to the front wheel its lever being fitted with a power cut-off to the motor contained within the front wheel accompanied by bright brake lights to the rear.

Comfort when riding is very good and provided via a neatly positioned coil spring at each underside corner of the seat. The battery, neatly enclosed at the rear of the chassis is provided with pin connections into the harness below and out of sight while its upper surface provides a shuttered charging socket as well as a 5v USB socket for charging phones etc. A very handy A4 sized zipped pocket is fitted to the rear of the seat back within which are two smaller pockets for keys etc.

There is space ahead of the seat that could house a small shopping basket but that’s all, the machine’s primary purpose is as a conveyance, a job it does well being able to travel up to 14 miles (on flat ground) subject to rider weight. The weight of the scoot complete with its FarReach 24v 12ah Lithium x 1.8kg battery is just 17kg which makes stowage of two units in a small car quite easy, total weight (machine and rider) must not exceed 120Kg.

I’m regrettably making too many visits to hospitals these days - where distances between the hospital and car park are often in the region of half a mile and where due to my condition walking is totally out, the lightness of the eFOLDi really makes it easy to transport and quick to transform into a remarkable means of transport.
It does have a certain ‘entertainment’ factor too as people look on mystified at its simple assembly.

Jim

Last edited:

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Jimo, I think you have just found my perfect vehicle! Depending on what the verdict on my health is in May I might well get this in preference to the extremes of conventional large mobility scooter or recumbent/fold up e bike/trike I've been thinking about for months...especially that you can fold it, sit in it and take it on bus and train and not too heavy, I hope, to wheel it along too. And it doesn't look like an "invalid carriage" which helps whatever age you are. Perfect for people with CFS/FM to keep up with family on days out. Thank you so much for writing about it and I wish you much happiness with it.

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Perhaps the worst hurdle to overcome after aquiring the eFOLDi mobility scooter is registering it with DVLA, all difficulties have been created by outdated information contained on the web, misguided instruction is to take the completed DVLA Form V55/4 (for 1st registration of a Class 3 invalid carriage to the DVLA Local Office...., THESE DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE, and the DVLA enquiry line 0870 243 0444 also no longer exists!
Web instructions for completing Form V55/4 say that various personal ID information should be attached (driving licence, bank statement, recent utilities bill etc) THIS IS NOT NECESSARY WHEN APPLYING FOR A CLASS 3 DVLA REGISTRATION.
So:
Send the completed Form V55/4 + Certificate of Newness + Specification sheet (from Instruction Manual) to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BE , that’s it, within about 3 weeks a V5 Registration document should be received which must be renewed yearly in the normal way but Free.

To gain this info has cost me hours of web surfing plus at least £10.00 in those deceitful numerically tabbed phone calls, SEND NO MONEY to DVLA because Class 3 registration is FREE!

Here’s hoping that the information gleaned will be useful to any person interested in a truly delightful iFOLDi mobility scooter.....I just hate the official term ‘Invalid Carriage’ but of course being unable to walk that’s what I’ve become.

Jim
So:

Jim
Thank you for telling us know how to do all this too; I've never had to think about this before so it is very helpful. Hope you're legal soon!

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Eagleowl, Perhaps I can offer a single safety tip?
When the eFOLDi is in its folded state and set with its pulling handle extended vertically the handelbar with steering column is collapsed against the frame and held in place by a very strong magnet - this fixing is only reliable if / when the magnet is in FULL contact, if the handlebar is knocked accidentally the magnetic hold will be reduced and the whole upper part of the folded steering column can drop with the handlebar hitting the person pulling behind the rear part of one’s lower leg causing great bruising and severe pain.

To prevent this happening use a 10-1/2” long leather dog collar, thread it behind the frame and fasten it around the right handlebar, with that done the steering column cannot self release or cause injury.
Ask me how I know......a week later and my leg is still very bruised and painful.

Jim

Last edited:

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Perhaps I can offer a single safety tip?
When the eFOLDi is in its folded state and set with its pulling handle extended the handelbar with steering column is collapsed against the frame and held in place by a very strong magnet - this fixing is only reliable if / when the magnet is in FULL contact, if the handlebar is knocked accidentally the magnetic hold will be reduced and the whole upper part of the folded steering column can drop with the handlebar hitting the person pulling behind the rear part of one’s lower leg causing great bruising and severe pain.

To prevent this happening use a 10-1/2” long leather dog collar, thread it behind the frame and fasten it around the right handlebar, with that done the steering column cannot self release or cause injury.
Ask me how I know......a week later and my leg is still very bruised and painful.

Jim
Sorry to hear that Jim, I hope your leg heals soon! Sounds like a minor design fault, until you get hurt! Thank you again for your good advice. :)

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Eagleowl, Of course I cursed the injury at the time but the eFOLDi is new and quite brilliant in its design, the magnetic retention idea is good too but the consequences of it failing had not been envisaged, however it was the only thing that caused concern and the remedy was simple and foolproof so I don’t hold that against the designer. I’ve sent the design addition suggestion to the company so it will most probably get included in future offerings.

The ingenious design is just the piece of kit that so many people have waited so long for, I’m sure it will outlast me (unless I can get another stent added in May) as well as my 85 year young wife who has similar problems and requirements.

Jim

Last edited:

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Good! The design is very good and small, portable and light which is what is missing with wheelchairs and mobility scooters. I hope you're right as there is a real gap for this kind of scooter. I think you and your wife are amazing and hope you both enjoy your new freedom! All the very best of luck for May...

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Machines like the eFOLDi are gaining in popularity due to the great strides made in battery technology, in addition to our two eFOLDi’s I have two other mobility scoots - one bought used some 16 years ago using AGM (lead-acid) batteries that is still useable after battery renewal, and a Quingo flight weighing a mere 2cwt and being self propelled into a vehicle — but oh what space it (or they) can take up not forgetting their means of restraint that are essential in all cases, rarely would one be able to accomodate two scoots so therein lies a major shortcomming when compared to the compact and lightweight eFOLDi where two, even occasionally three units can be housed in the same space.

We put this to the test two days ago when we both visited hospital and were able to use our respective eFOLDi’s to cover the large distance required and were still fresh as daisys upon arival. I can say without doubt that the eFOLDi’s are the best purchase I’ve made in years.

Jim

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Bet you both got admiring looks at the hospital!!! So glad you are pleased with them Jim. You should be on commission!!! ;)

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I AM on commission! - but not the sort you mean - The blood in my pee has suddenly stopped after 6 days and nights— woopee
And yes, people just sat in their car looking on quite amazed.....

Jim

Last edited:

colin hobbs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2019
weymouth
Hi guys, Wow, efoldi. Whilst walking round Weymouth a week ago, I saw two efoldi's. One being driven by "grandad" and the other by his grandson, who was minding it for nan.

Anyway, I stopped them and chatted for ages and asked as many questions that pored out of my head. In those minutes I felt this was just for me. Will tell you why. I'm almost 79, have multiple health issues and of late, walking has become hard work. I trail behind my wife who herself uses a mobility walker but can walk fast'ish and prefers to. Family are mindful of my walking limitations too. Oh, neither of us drive.

Due to our distance from town, we have to bus every day, back and forth. I would not want to use a scooter to town and leave my wife to bus, in case she had a problem. The ifoldi would mean we continued to use the bus.

Neither do we have a back way to house or large from garden for storage/parking, so folding and bringing indoors is great.

We do like to visit other towns,by train, ifoldi ideal then.

Since meeting the couple last week, I've googled and googled and saved so my to re-read. I've viewed youtube and saved.

However two things concern me. I'm sure I read that you're not supposed to get them wet, what about if caught out in rain, and now Jim's account of how it is registered, seems a bit problematic. The fact that I don't hold driving licence, would that be a problem?

Going to stop now and await a reply from someone. Oh yes, I seem to remember the could were from the Ferndown area, but might have that wrong.