NEC Cycle Show 2017: Wisper e-MTBs, Swytch & other highlights

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
We’ve spoken to Shimano about this in detail. There is absolutely no problem with overheating now if there were we would not have gone with them.

Thanks fir your interest.
there is just ur not looking hard enough ;)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
We’ve spoken to Shimano about this in detail. There is absolutely no problem with overheating now if there were we would not have gone with them.

Thanks fir your interest.

As said, I'd sooner trust and believe the unbiased opinion and experience of Christoph and others, than that of a manufacturer.

Perhaps by the time that your manufacturing process gets underway, the issue will be mysteriously resolved, but to cut you dead on a previous comment that made, where by you stated that you look forward to one day selling me a bike, trust me that is never going to happen. You blew any chance of that ever happening, when you very wrongly tried to discredit others. You wouldn't now be able to give me a bike for free.

• Disagree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
there is just ur not looking hard enough ;)
We ran with Bosch for three years and will do again in the future. It’s tough to read I know, but the E8000 is the best out there... in our opinion. We are totally satisfied the early overheating issue is resolved. We’ve had many issues with Bosch over the years, like Shimano they have also solved the problems.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i ran that motor in constant boost mode with a dongle it will overheat go look on the German forum as some have it and some dont so goes on how the bike is ridden.

it dont like fat ppl either using constant boost mode climbing hills as you get that warning on the display and cuts back on power.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
As said, I'd sooner trust and believe the unbiased opinion and experience of Christoph and others, than that of a manufacturer.

Perhaps by the time that your manufacturing process gets underway, the issue will be mysteriously resolved, but to cut you dead on a previous comment that made, where by you stated that you look forward to one day selling me a bike, trust me that is never going to happen. You blew any chance of that ever happening, when you very wrongly tried to discredit others. You wouldn't now be able to even give me a bike.
It’s a shame you will never experience owning one of our bikes and I am sad to read that. I assure you I am not discrediting anyone or anything. Pot, kettle??

I don’t think I need to repeat what I’ve said. But for your reference we think Bosch motors are great, just not as good as Shimano on eMTBs.

All the best, David

• Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It’s great to read that Bosch have such loyal owners. Bosch owners chose Bosch and I am sure they believe that they made the right decision. As I say it’s great to see such passion. I am sure some people will always prefer Bosch and we are completely open minded for the future. I have to ask though why would we chose what we consider to be second best to put on our new bikes?

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wasn’t the question why did Bosch close their sponsored track to Shimano when Shimano were happy to open their sponsored track to Bosch?

I think we all know!

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes it looks that way!
So German Bosch owners writing on a German forum about a German motor being better than a Japanese manufacturer’s is more likely to be unbiased than we are?

I remember the American car industry doing the same thing!

Bosch however are on it, their new light weight offerings look as if they will be excellent! Just as good as the Shimano as long as they have narrowed the Q factor down th 175mm and have managed to enable manufacturers to shorten the minimum rear stays.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
HI Eddie, please look at my posts again. They did have a couple of overheating problems a while ago, now all resolved to our satisfaction.

Bosch also has issues as we found out over the three years we were selling their motors. Also All now resolved.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t touch Bosch with a barge pole, I am simply stating that in our opinion they are not as good on mountain bikes as the Shimano E8000 at the moment. We believe the Shimano system is worth the extra we are having to pay for them.

Why so aggressive?

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
1 none of us said it was the best motor bar you.
2 there is a overheating problem.
3 both me and eddie pointed this out but you refuse to believe it.
4 even with the proof ppl with these motors are having problems with it you still are in Denial and you even said there was a problem with it overheating and has been fixed well it has not and over 100 pages of it.
5 the truth is out there if you bother to look in the first place.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We have looked. We have looked extensively.

I know it’s tough to swallow, especially if you have invested in old tech but in our opinion the E8000 is currently superior to the CX. Nearly everyone that tested our bikes at the show agreed with us. I am not saying Bosch is a poor motor. It’s very good, particularly for city and Trekking bikes.

All the best, David

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If E8000 overheating issue is just motor shutting down or reduces power to protect its self, then that is not reliability issue more performance issue. If overheating results in dead cooked motor that is definitely reliability issue.

Given none of many reviews I've read from experienced eMTB riders has reported this issue I'm assuming it has been resolved.

I bought CX not because it was better but because it was great drive, bike was excellent value for money and I didn't want to wait 6-12months for new E8000 bikes become avaliable. If I was buying now I'd pay extra for E8000 just because of user interface and full size chainring.

Have no regrets with my purchase, but CX motor has been replaced after 6 months with faulty gearbox. LBS detected problem, I took it in for different reason, warranty support from Bosch was excellent.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It’s not just us.....

Shimano E8000 Drive for Electric Mountain Bikes
The Shimano E8000 drive released this year has caused quite a stir already, and understandably so.

Following on from our previous news story about the fantastic new FOCUS range of bikes featuring the Shimano E8000, the Jam2 and Bold2, we thought it fitting to set out a few of the key features and differences from other drive units in the market. It’s fair to say that they all have their own subtle individual characteristics, but here’s a few observations about the E8000 that we think you may find of interest:

General Shimano E8000 features
  • the motor is relatively light compared to other drive systems on the market
  • Q-Factor (distance between the cranks) is the same as a standard Shimano crank at 175mm, like a conventional bike
  • shorter chainstay enabling the bike to handle for like a conventional MTB
  • cranks are connected to the chainring meaning a true 1:1 ratio
  • gear shifting is via paddles
  • Di2 compatability for electronic shifting
  • linkable via Blutooth to a smart phone/tablet app called E-Tube to configure & update
  • power tweaks via E-Tube app
I say again, we are not knocking Bosch far from it, we really like Bosch. It’s just in our opinion the Shimano unit is better on an eMTB.

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can change the subject all you like but in my case that motor would not be fit for purpose.
1 i ride in turbo all the time and as fast as i can go.
2 i also run a dongle.
3 a dealer will honer the warranty with one fitted.
4 you wont.
5 my motor has never overheated tho not from lack of trying.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry buddy but you are really scraping the barrel now. Let’s just agree to disagree!

I really hope you continue to enjoy your Bosch powered bike. They really are very good indeed. I have nothing against them. You now know why we freely chose Shimano for our eMTB range.

All the best, David