Need a very comfortable bike!

Philippa

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2015
I am in my 50s and haven't cycled for a few years - I have bought 2 non-electric bikes but I find I am really uncomfortable on them even with big cushy saddles. I have 2 energetic daughters who I just can't keep up with so I think an electric bike will enable me to get out on family rides.

I am 5' 3" and I weigh 15 and a half stone and I am not very fit. I really like the idea of the upright position and being able to put my feet firmly on the ground so I am interested in the Electra Townie Go and the Pedego 24" Comfort Cruiser. I need to be able to get up hills and to have a good distance of battery use. I don't know whether I should be looking for something with front suspension forks for comfort. Fat tyres look like they would help. I am thinking I may also need to get a really good seat post and seat to absorb bumps. I have no idea which sort of drive is best for me.

I find researching the models online really overwhelming, and I know I will need to try some models out but of course each dealer has a different selection so I need to have some models in mind before having a go on some bikes.

I would be really grateful for any opinions.

Philippa

May 18, 2015
Hi Scott
I could go up to £2000 but I was hoping to spend between £800 and £1500 - bit vague I know but I suppose it depends what I would get for my money.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Hi Scott
I could go up to £2000 but I was hoping to spend between £800 and £1500 - bit vague I know but I suppose it depends what I would get for my money.
Have you looked at any of the bikes on offer from woosh or kudos juicy etc from our forum? Many dealers on here that will be able to give you lots more info on what would be suitable alternatives to the bikes you have mentioned

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh Big Bear LS is very powerful and comfortable. It's like riding an armchair. It might be a bit large for you. Ring up Woosh and ask them about it. They also have a smaller version for smaller people if the one I tried is too big.

Reactions: Scott clarke

Philippa

May 18, 2015
Thank you, I will make sure I try the Whoosh, it's great to have a first-hand recommendation!
I do want to try more than one model before I buy so any other recommendations are really welcome.
I will have another good look through the forum for other ideas - I have really long list of other bikes that I like the look of - VOLT Kensington, Moustache lundi, Pedego Boomerang, Benelli Classica, Juicy Classic Click, Momentum Model T, blueLABEL WAVE, Kudos Safari/Tempo/Duchess . . . they all very different and all look lovely but I have no idea if any of them are a good idea for me.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
All the models you have mentioned are very good. How many have you had a test ride on? Have you managed to narrow the list at all? Ride as many as you can and when you have narrowed the field it will be easier for the members to give a breakdown on each model but the best bike you can buy is the one that fits you and feels right everytime you sit on it. Don't buy anything without testing the bike and speaking to the sellers. Many of our members are dealers so they have a wealth of knowledge.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Also what I would say is check for any reviews on Google for the bike too. Companies like woosh kudos juicy etc have large followings hence good service and good parts availability should you need them.

Philippa

May 18, 2015
Thank you Scott, I am at the stage of deciding where to go to try out and I can't visit lots of dealers so any feedback here from existing users with similar problems to mine would be great so that I can end up with a sensible shortlist.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
If you can get down to woosh and a kudos
Very good point about service and parts availabiity.
many dealers will fight for your money it's a competitive market you are buying from many will tell you how wonderful the product is of course they will it's their job all I can advise you to do is remember that your not just buying a bike your buying into the reputation of the company. Most companies buy the bikes from abroad and sell them to you so you have to be able to trust the people your giving your money to. Trust them to help you when you need them trust them to give you advice even after your bike is bought and paid for. I know that woosh and kudos are both good established sellers and are not going to vanish over night. There products have good reviews and the companies themselves are always looking for the next big product to bring to market so investing not only in the company but also in the customers. I have no connection with either company but im sure after all the months and months of research I've done looking for my next bike that i will be buying from one of these two. This of course is my opinion and im sure you will hear the same from people who have bought bikes from other makes and are either very happy or dissapointed.take a look at the reviews on this forum too and that may help you too. The most important thing is to take your time test everything you can and ask as many questions as you can.

Reactions: Philippa

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The most important advice from all above so far has been to "take a test ride".
Try to find a retailer not too far away from you who stocks a variety of makes and who can let you try on a decent hill.
You can find a map showing Juicy Bike electric bike retailers here, most of whom stock a good variety of makes, sizes and choices.
Pleased to see our Classic in your list!

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Philippa,

I think you would find the the eZee Sprint LDS a very comfortable bike.

It comes in two versions, the Sprint Primo from £795 and the higher
specification Sprint 8 from £1195
You can see both eZee models on our website here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-e-bikes--pedelecs.html
eZee Sprint Primo LDS 10979576_433200303495581_551745884_n.jpg
eZee Sprint LDS 8
_DSC0029.jpg
I would also recommend the Ansmann FC1 Plus which had the best warranty
available. http://www.cyclezee.com/ansmann-fc1-plus.html
Ansmann FC1 Plus
fc-1-weiss.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thank you, I will make sure I try the Whoosh, it's great to have a first-hand recommendation!
I do want to try more than one model before I buy so any other recommendations are really welcome.
I will have another good look through the forum for other ideas - I have really long list of other bikes that I like the look of - VOLT Kensington, Moustache lundi, Pedego Boomerang, Benelli Classica, Juicy Classic Click, Momentum Model T, blueLABEL WAVE, Kudos Safari/Tempo/Duchess . . . they all very different and all look lovely but I have no idea if any of them are a good idea for me.
The Volt Kensington is a little bit big for you.
The Moustache Lundi is a pure pedelec, no throttle, and too big for you.
The Pedego Boomerang is too big, too heavy (28kgs) for you.
The Belleni Classica has a tiny battery capacity (36V 6.6AH), not good.
The Juicy Classic Click has 26" wheels, a bit big.
The Momentum and Blue Label Wave are too big for you and also pure pedelec (no throttle)
The Kudos Tempo is a good size but the throttle is limited. The Safari (sold out) and Duchess are too big.

Three issues you need to consider: wheel size and frame size, throttle and battery. you are right to want a 24" wheeled bike, they tend to have smaller frames (15inch-16 inch) to suit riders around 5ft-5ft6 tall. As you said yourself, not very fit, so a throttle is desirable to rest your legs. Lastly, strong motor and high capacity battery: to help with your weight.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Hi Philippa,

I think you would find the the eZee Sprint LDS a very comfortable bike.

It comes in two versions, the Sprint Primo from £795 and the higher
specification Sprint 8 from £1195
You can see both eZee models on our website here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-e-bikes--pedelecs.html
eZee Sprint Primo LDS View attachment 11304
eZee Sprint LDS 8
View attachment 11301
I would also recommend the Ansmann FC1 Plus which had the best warranty
available. http://www.cyclezee.com/ansmann-fc1-plus.html
Ansmann FC1 Plus
View attachment 11303
Both excellent bikes