Need Help between two rear hub kits

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Hi

I am in the process of deciding which one to get for converting my KHS alight MTB, I need some opinions

which one is good value between the

OXYDrive CST - rear wheel cassette electric bike kit

&

Xiongda Double Speed Motor eBike Electric Bike Kit 48V 350W, DISC BRAKE

both kits are very descent i believe, I believe I have to buy a freewheel as I read i cannot use my own 9 speed

cassette is this true,I like the design of the oxydrive but I like the power of the Xiongda which is on offer at Panda bikes.

also do these kits come with dished wheels,have not dished wheels myself and I am crap at truing my
wheels

any info and help will be greatly appreciated,this will be my first take or rear hubs ,I have fitted a front hub
recently and is easy peassy

I decided to stay away from mid drive for now as afraid of shifting issues or should I not be,also dissapointed
and waiting too long now from stock from chosen UK dealers

Many Thank,SpezElec

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
8-Fun have solid reputation for making reliable motors.
Go for the Oxygen.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxy kit takes a cassette so you can keep the one you have but need a nice DNP freewheel for the Xiongda about £20. Xiongda @199 is good from uk just need a batt to go with it the new Panasonic HL/08 from BMSB looks very nice, sleeker then my 09's.
Xiongda has had a few issues with the motor/clutch I think when the bike is wheeled backwards and something has broken inside. Apparently good climbers so could be good as a serious offroad climber d8veh says its his fav on the road, then again the Oxy has no problem with hills and tops out at 24mph on the flat and Xiongda about 22 so not much to choose between them. Don't forget that Xiongda rear dropouts need a little stretching.
Woosh are getting some GSM md's maybe they will replace BBS, GSM @18a and marked 250w so legally marked and priced at 249 sounds good.
There is now so much choice out there it is tricky to choose what to get.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 08 battery from Woosh is called HL battery (HL stands for Hailong). It has bluetooth, you can download the apps (IOS &Android apk file) from the links on woosh web page.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?batteries#batkit
By the way, the 09 battery is very well designed, tried and tested, the 08 battery is still fairly new. The mounting bracket on the 09 is much tougher than the one supplied with the 08.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Oxy kit takes a cassette so you can keep the one you have but need a nice DNP freewheel for the Xiongda about £20. Xiongda @199 is good from uk just need a batt to go with it the new Panasonic HL/08 from BMSB looks very nice, sleeker then my 09's.
Xiongda has had a few issues with the motor/clutch I think when the bike is wheeled backwards and something has broken inside. Apparently good climbers so could be good as a serious offroad climber d8veh says its his fav on the road, then again the Oxy has no problem with hills and tops out at 24mph on the flat and Xiongda about 22 so not much to choose between them. Don't forget that Xiongda rear dropouts need a little stretching.
Woosh are getting some GSM md's maybe they will replace BBS, GSM @18a and marked 250w so legally marked and priced at 249 sounds good.
There is now so much choice out there it is tricky to choose what to get.
this is great so I can use my 9 speed cassette if I choose the Oxydrive,just dont know why white casing,not very stealthy,how is the battery 's
performance,also anyone knows what is rated amp of the controller,I have a
KT controller on my first kit and is rated 7 amps I think and I can get 50 miles on assist 2,on hybrid bike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
White one 11ah batt with SWX lighter cst hub may struggle a bit with steep hills, black one 13ah with high torque bafang cst hub and climbs very well. Both controllers rated 15a this is the max rating suspect the HT cst my be a bit more as the oxy mtb is 17a. Mileage wise I got 27 on mtb set up off road on mixed trails on loose/wet/dry undulating terrain speeds were lower so assist was being activated more often, on Boardman 700c on the road about 39 with battery 2 bars to go so 45-50 should be do-able. Lvc cuts in with one bar/light showing so don't expect to get more than 10 miles once the third one goes out.
There is a Oxydrive thread have a read through that.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Thanks Nealh,the 13 ah is too steep,might as well go for BBS02 on that price,
I dont have too many hills in our area, the most is 18%,been reading a lot already and have a lot of info and the more I read the more I cant decide,
my main concern is I know its off topic,If waited for UK suppliers to stock and indeed choose of BBS02 kit,really like the 500w either or 750w,how bad is the
alleged shifting issues with middrive kits,I know you have to change gears a lot,which I do already as I do a lot sportives on summer and normally climbs 6000-8000 ft on a good sportives, im dreading this shifting issues,can someone first clarify this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I also have BBS 350 for mixed off roading shifting isn't too bad like a normal bike you need to be in the right gear at the right time, the shifting is only an issue if you keep pressure on the drive train. Either momentarily stop peddling or dab the brake lever cut off to change gear also now I see you can get a motor cut off button that plugs in rather than use a brake cut off.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
I have the bbs02 750w in a 29er, I have found no problem at all with shifting up or down , the shift is certainly noisier but i have never missed a shift and have. , on previous request from the forum, experimented with full power, full throttle, uphill shifting and it didn't miss a beat. I have done over 1000 miles now and the chain and sprockets are perfect.
It is fair to point out that if you use the touch brake, stop peddling method the shift is very easy and quiet, i just wanted to say that you don't have to do this as i have found the shifting perfectly acceptable. Hope it helps, cheers.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
so shift as normal and carefully that is what is normally do on my Ultegra ,5 years old now and still shift perfect,thanks everyone looks like I should not be concerned with mid drive shifting issues,happy that is clarified,now I am totally confused what to buy for my second Ebike project,to hub or not hub...if only
48v 500W mid drive are in stock in U.K.,I would not be having this headache

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I have the 11ah oxydrive kit and I think it's fab, I can get well over 30 miles on one charge with assistance 1, I have not had any hill that it won't go up and I live in the Forest of Dean and trust me we do have a lot of hills.

I see they have the 11ah kit back on offer at £450.00 and at this price I think it's a great buy.

If you want anymore info from me no probs just ask
All the best
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You never know may be Andrew will do another new year sale with the 13ah kit which was mega @ 450.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
so shift as normal and carefully that is what is normally do on my Ultegra ,5 years old now and still shift perfect,thanks everyone looks like I should not be concerned with mid drive shifting issues,happy that is clarified,now I am totally confused what to buy for my second Ebike project,to hub or not hub...if only
48v 500W mid drive are in stock in U.K.,I would not be having this headache
As you say a headache but whether BBS ,Oxy or Xiongda you really can't go to wrong.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
guess I have to wait for the holidays the,that will be give more time to decide if to go hub or mid drive,hopefully there will be more stock of conversion kts from UK dealers,thanks everyone