Need help to Work out how many magnets are inside my hub motor

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
Hi everyone can I ask a question I’m currently in the process of setting up my display which is an LCD – S866. now there are 20 different settings and I’ve done most of them however one of the settings asks for how many magnets are in your hub motor. now I have a 250Watt 36V bafang motor. by any chance would you know how many magnets are inside that motor?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you talking speed sensor magnets or motor magnet count ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm pretty sure that's for the speed sensor. The answer is 1 or 6. It should be obvious which to use when the speed on the lcd is 1/6 of what it should be, right, or 6 times the speed.

Macster58

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2020
Are you talking speed sensor magnets or motor magnet count ?
Inside the rear hub. Those magnets. I have 6 magnets on the PAS sensor and I have set the LCD-S866 computer up but it needs to know the magnet count. I have looked on line but found no information. The hub is 36v 250w Bafang on a 26” wheel.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hub has usually 1 speed magnet though as vfr has mentioned sometimes maybe 6 for the display reading, also surrounding the copper windings are a further 16 -20 magnets to help configure the ratio for correct speed calculation.

James57

Just Joined
Mar 5, 2021
I have same setup LCD – S866 with brainpower controller , mine is set at 80 ?? seems to work ok
They were set at 80 that after connecting the intelligent detection leads on the controller during setup , not sure if the intelligent detection detects how many magnets though .

Rogeramjet1111

Just Joined
May 25, 2021
Hello,

I am not sure if anyone else has tried this too who had a vaccine but my magnet is sticking to my arm?

Did this happen when a magnet sticks to their jab spot? Anybody know what this is happening it is only where i was Jabbed. I hope other objects do not stick to me.

thanks

Roger

• :D
Reactions: Achle29

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hello,

I am not sure if anyone else has tried this too who had a vaccine but my magnet is sticking to my arm?

Did this happen when a magnet sticks to their jab spot? Anybody know what this is happening it is only where i was Jabbed. I hope other objects do not stick to me.

thanks

Roger
That's the bluetooth chip that the magnet is attracted to.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's nothing to worry about. It's only the nano-bots that are slightly magnetic. That's necessary so that they all align the right way when you pass the programming scanner. The only problem is that the magnetic field emitted by some ebike motors can interfere with them and give weird side effects. There have been many cases of people who had the vaccine getting falsely programmed by the stray field from the motor to say that crank motors are better than hub motors, it not a good idea to wear helmets and other weird things like that, instead of the intended things, like praising the government, Faucci and the vaccine.

Reactions: James57

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Well I had the exact same problem I put mine at first too 1 and the speed read 100km when I know from GPS on my phone I was only going 25,so I changed it till 90 and got a near perfect reading on the display so I guess 80- 90 works

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well I had the exact same problem I put mine at first too 1 and the speed read 100km when I know from GPS on my phone I was only going 25,so I changed it till 90 and got a near perfect reading on the display so I guess 80- 90 works
that's correct for a direct drive motor or a geared one without a speed sensor, but most people in UK have geared hub-motors with speed sensors that have either 1 or 6 magnets in, so one of those would be the correct setting.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Thanks for the update though I'm not in the UK and my rear hub motor is a bafang 250w and like said now I have sett the amount to 80 in the settings the reading is near accurate.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here in this setting on my display I just set the speed magnets to 80 and like said before I had it at 1 but the speed reading on my display was 100km and was only travelling 25km.
Does the speed go to zero when you're free-wheeling?

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
No when I stop pedeling the speed slowly decreasing,and I've noticed when I stop pedeling the motor still gives power for about 3 or 4 seconds then cuts off not sure why that is though

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The delay in the motors reaction to stopping pedaling might be a configurable setting too.. Check your headset/controller manuals.. It depends on the system firmware, many uk-eu destined ebikes have hobbled/limited firmware to hamper attempts to exceed the 25km/h speed limit.

the delay is to counter the odd pause in pedaling when changing gear, steering around an obstacle etc

Instant motor cut off should occur when the brakes are applied however, and if not should warrant further inspection/checking.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No when I stop pedeling the speed slowly decreasing,and I've noticed when I stop pedeling the motor still gives power for about 3 or 4 seconds then cuts off not sure why that is though
The reason your speed goes to zero when you stop pedalling is because either you have no speed sensor or its not working. If your controller has the connector for one or a white wire in the motor cable, you can can connect any wheel magnet type sensor to it to get the speed display correct all the time with the number of magnets set to 1.

The reason the power stops when you stop pedalling is because that's how it's designed to work to comply with UK and EU law.

Without a speed sensor the controller will automatically switch to calculate the speed from hall sensor pulses, which, for each wheel rotation, would be the number of magnets in the motor x the reduction ratio. 18 x 5 = 90 but then you get incorrect distance for your rides because it shows zero speed when you're speeding down a hill without pedalling.

Last edited:

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
no if I'm going downhill without pedaling the speed is still displayed when I'm free wheeling I have Hal's sensor I have 12 magnet disk with sensor behind the pedal ,I know the sensor is working because the red light on the sensor is on.I changed the settings this morning in the magnets from 80 till 1 to be sure and yes when set too 1 I got 100km when I know it was only going around 27km .