Need help to Work out how many magnets are inside my hub motor

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes it's working but if I push the bike it does not give a reading on the display as with my old controller and I have to put the amount of magnets in settings on the display which is P7 I have had to put 80
i already told you that the speed display is nothing to do with the pedal sensor, and I told you the reasons why you have a speed display that behaves like that. read through my earlier posts again and ask if there's something you don't understand.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Ok one more question a bafang rear hub motor does it sensor,I have a sensor by the pedal with a circle with 12 magnets is that different from sensor in the motor.
So my question is does the bafang rear hub motor have sensors.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok one more question a bafang rear hub motor does it sensor,I have a sensor by the pedal with a circle with 12 magnets is that different from sensor in the motor.
So my question is does the bafang rear hub motor have sensors.
The sensor by the pedals with 12 magnets is the pedal sensor. Its only function is to tell the controller that the pedals are rotating.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Typically one magnet is used in the hub to sense speed but there are some that do use six magnets. Set the magnet count to one and see if it works ok, if not simply change it to six.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok thanks so the rear hub motor does have sensors in the motor ie magnets and how many is the question I been told it could 1- 6
One more time:

1. All motors have magnets in for the motor to work - typically around 18 -20.

2. The speed sensor in the motor, if it has one, is seperate and has its own magnet/s - normally 1 or 6.
Not all motors have speed sensors in them. The only way to be sure is to open the motor. Sometimes, the speed sensor magnets come unstuck, then the speed sensor doesn't work or gives the wrong speed when one of the six magnets falls off.

3. When there's no speed sensor in the motor, the controller will automatically get the speed signal from the motor magnets. The motor rotates 5 times the speed of the wheel, so one rotation might give 18 x 5 = 90 pulses per rotation. That's the number you have to enter into the LCD to get the correct speed. When the bike is free-wheeling, like when you're pushing the bike, the motor doesn't turn, so the LCD will show speed as zero.

4. When there is no speed sensor in the motor, you can install a wheel magnet sensor that will give one pulse per wheel rotation, so in that case you enter 1 in the LCD. The speed will show correctly all the time with such an external sensor, even when free-wheeling and pushing the bike, since it's measuring wheel speed, not motor speed.

5. To install an external speed sensor, there might be a special connector on the controller for it, and there often is on KT controllers, or you have to splice in the wires.

It would be best if you showed actual photos of all your connectors arranged to clearly show the colours of the wires on each if you want to get your speed displaying correctly when you push the bike or free-wheel.

Last edited:

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
This the controller I'm struggling with that doesn't show the speed when as you say free wheeling or just pushing the bike.but on this diagram it says 5pin Hal's but it's not it has 6 pin. Also in the diagram it says that black red and white is PAS connector,I plugged it into the PAS connector coming from the bike but nothing absolute nothing,I then changed the connector on the cable in the diagram labled throttle.As you see this is also 3 pin but black brown and yellow .so I'm not sure if I believe the diagram so I'm stuck on this.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This the controller I'm struggling with that doesn't show the speed when as you say free wheeling or just pushing the bike.but on this diagram it says 5pin Hal's but it's not it has 6 pin. Also in the diagram it says that black red and white is PAS connector,I plugged it into the PAS connector coming from the bike but nothing absolute nothing,I then changed the connector on the cable in the diagram labled throttle.As you see this is also 3 pin but black brown and yellow .so I'm not sure if I believe the diagram so I'm stuck on this.
The diagram is labelled incorrectly. That often happens because of errors in translation from Chinese. The throttle is red white and black and the other is the pedal sensor.

I can't answer your other discrepancy because you didn't show a photo.