NEED one after the ride I just had!

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I just went for a ride on my 4 yr old claud butler mountain bike and only did 4 miles before I almost died!

Too many hills either steep or just go on too long. If I am going to even contemplate a 12 mile round trip commute I need an electric one and that ride has made it clear.

I think I will have to find the time to visit one of the events to try some first.

If I don't get one I feel I will stick to the car or even get an electric motorbike (to expensive really)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I know that feeling all too well - both areas where I spend considerable time have prolonged steep hills to get anywhere outside the immediate village / town and whilst it's OK when you're out cycling to get a serious workout it's no fun as a way of life. Can't afford to burn 2000 calories in a day riding a bicycle - will waste away to nothing :eek:.

Make sure you focus on hill climbers (crank drives especially if bought ready-made) and can test ride on proper real-life hills. A 2-mile steep hill will soon show you what a bike is really made of. You can't get a proper idea of how they perform going round a cycle track or up short demo slope .. many are fine for the first few couple of hundred metres and then the slog begins again. You only find that out when you're out on the road.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah I need to try some for sure. It's a new job that I start next week so I may be able to get something with the c2work scheme though its just under the tax threshold so not sure if its worth it unless you pay plenty of cash.

I really do prefer to get a bike than a scooter or motorbike though since its cheaper and better for me. I am a little sceptical as to if one will really be good enough to make the journey enjoyable since I have never ridden one. I have a full motorcycle licence too but with it only being 6 miles I don't need to go anywhere too fast. It takes 30 mins in traffic so a bike will do it as quick or there abouts and you get fresh air.

I was contemplating one of the new whoosh crank drive models but not sure if I should just pay more for a much better one. I must admit money is very tight hence the reason I gave that one a thought. I could also convert my own bike as I am handy but my bike needs new tyres, brakes, chain and tyres etc as I have neglected it and the cost of the kit and getting it up to standard will cost more than a ready made bike.

This may sound a silly question but can say a rear hub or crank drive have a front hub motor fitted as well it give it more oomph or is the 15 mph limit enough in every day use? I saw an ad in classifieds for a giant self conversion which would do 28mph according to the seller. I know its not legal but in the real world I doubt it would be an issue.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
You'll also get fitter quickly especially if you haven't cycled for a while.

This may sound a silly question but can say a rear hub or crank drive have a front hub motor fitted as well it give it more oomph or is the 15 mph limit enough in every day use? I saw an ad in classifieds for a giant self conversion which would do 28mph according to the seller. I know its not legal but in the real world I doubt it would be an issue.
Just my opinion - but if you're thinking along those lines, you may as well simply buy a £250 hybrid bike in the sales and fit a powerful rear hub kit to it. The weight of 2 motors and the battery power to drive them is probably not the best arrangement.

About £350 - £450 max for rear hub kit & battery, and £200-£300 for a new hybrid commuter bike in the sales. Just a thought.

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
look at the alien aurora i use it as my work bike not to fast not to slow and great on hills,, its just right for commuting

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah deffo something to think about. Any suggestions as far as donor bike style and a good hub motor kit. I am sure I would have no bother fitting one.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
..or just convert the Claud Butler. That's what I did, albeit with front hub motor.
I quite like my bike though it could do with new brakes, preferably discs to replace the current ones. Do the front hub ones perform as well? I guess they are twist only or can they be pedal assist also?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I quite like my bike though it could do with new brakes, preferably discs to replace the current ones. Do the front hub ones perform as well? I guess they are twist only or can they be pedal assist also?
Front hubs perform just as well and can be pedal assist as well as throttle controlled.

But it's best not to fit an 'illegal' motor in a front fork because the dropouts are weaker.

Don't rule out legal bikes until you've tried one or two.

They climb quite well, and as you inevitably get fitter the combination of you and the motor will be surprisingly powerful.

Top speed is a harder one to call, 15mph is fast enough in most situations and some legal ebikes can be pedalled faster without too much effort.

However, some can not so easily - it's like trying to pedal through treacle.

Those bikes are effectively limited to 15mph or just over.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I quite like the idea of those auto geared hubs, nuvici I think they call em. Though I guess they are on expensive bikes.

I do like the idea of a new bike ready to roll too. I need to test some legal ones to see how they perform. The event in London in April looks like it has plenty of choice but its a fair drive from Leeds and unsure if parking is available.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I quite like the idea of those auto geared hubs, nuvici I think they call em. Though I guess they are on expensive bikes.

I do like the idea of a new bike ready to roll too. I need to test some legal ones to see how they perform. The event in London in April looks like it has plenty of choice but its a fair drive from Leeds and unsure if parking is available.
The Nuvinci hub on its own is about £350, so you are looking at £2,000 or so for one fitted to an ebike.

I like the idea as well, but the hub is not necessary on an ebike.

Apart from anything else, you change gear less often because the power of the bike increases the range of each gear.

My Brompton Nano has six gears, but as Nano point out, a three-speed Brompton is more than adequate for the conversion.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Agree with RobF.

If you want a high-powered kit for a 700C then something like this (201rpm) :

Bafang BPM 36V500W Rear Driving Bike Conversion Kit - BMSBATTERY

with this

36V 13Ah Li-Ion Shrink Tube EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

Budget about US$180 shipping and about £35 duty. The pound is sliding so £ cost may increase a bit over coming weeks.

In terms of bikes, take your pick - check out Chain Reaction Cycles, Rutland, Go Outdoors, Halfords etc. Many still 1/2 price.

Without being obsequious, Alex is spot on there.

Plonk that little lot on a £350 hybrid and you have a decent quality, but relatively cheap, e-rocket.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract

Hi waj1234, you can have a go on mine if you want (a kalkhoff copy) I live near pontefract only 15 miles from leeds.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
The Nuvinci hub on its own is about £350, so you are looking at £2,000 or so for one fitted to an ebike.

I like the idea as well, but the hub is not necessary on an ebike.

Apart from anything else, you change gear less often because the power of the bike increases the range of each gear.

My Brompton Nano has six gears, but as Nano point out, a three-speed Brompton is more than adequate for the conversion.
Yeah thought so. Just looking at a seagull bike with one fitted but looks too throw away when dead etc.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah I need to try some for sure. It's a new job that I start next week so I may be able to get something with the c2work scheme though its just under the tax threshold so not sure if its worth it unless you pay plenty of cash.

I really do prefer to get a bike than a scooter or motorbike though since its cheaper and better for me. I am a little sceptical as to if one will really be good enough to make the journey enjoyable since I have never ridden one. I have a full motorcycle licence too but with it only being 6 miles I don't need to go anywhere too fast. It takes 30 mins in traffic so a bike will do it as quick or there abouts and you get fresh air.

I was contemplating one of the new whoosh crank drive models but not sure if I should just pay more for a much better one. I must admit money is very tight hence the reason I gave that one a thought. I could also convert my own bike as I am handy but my bike needs new tyres, brakes, chain and tyres etc as I have neglected it and the cost of the kit and getting it up to standard will cost more than a ready made bike.

Hello Waj1234,

If you need to own a powerful electric bike and to purchase one from someone who is trustworthy,why dont you give BANBURY FRANK a ring,and if you decide not to choose one of his bikes,he would at least advise you in what to do and where to go. Sorry if you look to the ads on your right he is Xipi Bikes.

Mountainsport.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Hello Waj1234,

If you need to own a powerful electric bike and to purchase one from someone who is trustworthy,why dont you give BANBURY FRANK a ring,and if you decide not to choose one of his bikes,he would at least advise you in what to do and where to go. Sorry if you look to the ads on your right he is Xipi Bikes.

Mountainsport.
I have had a look at his bikes as well as all the other advertisers but they are out of my price range for now. They look good though.