Need to buy a bike asap

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
My old non ebike Specialized hybrid has finally broke, the back wheel rim split and split the inner tube too, too many other issues with it to be worth fixing. Now I am stuck for transport for work, I had to walk 3 miles home today (sweating like mad), been out looking for a replacement, seems like most places are low in stock, can't find anything I like, I took a day off to find a bike tomorrow. I need a bike quick, I saw my local Halford's have this ebike in stock, I am thinking to get it as it isn't too expensive, what do you think of it please? Tomorrow I will be out buying something e-bike or anything. https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crossfire-e-mens-electric-hybrid-bike---17in-19in-21in-frames-184894.html

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can ship a Woosh Faro to you tomorrow to arrive Wednesday.
£899.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Crossfire has a very bad reliability record; search the forum.
Woosh are well recommended: I'd choose the Faro over the Crossfire 100%. Slightly small battery, but that helps keep it light and won't be an issue for a short commute and 20 mile rides.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
Sorry for the late reply, I fell asleep early. I was looking to buy a bike for Tuesday to use early Wednesday (5:30am), took a day off to today to look.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Crossfire has a very bad reliability record; search the forum.
That's probably a little unfair now: Yes, there were lots of electrical issues on earlier versions, mostly about the power cutting out unexpectedly. But Halfords made lots of revisions to the Crossfire in 2019... (new frame, battery, controller, vfr thought the torque sensor too).

If you read the current Crossfire reviews on Halfords (as I just have), yes, there are still one or two electrical related complaints, but the majority of negative reviews seem to be general bike maintenance issues, sloppy PDI assembly, and a few which are clearly just unrealistic customer expectations or plain ignorance... mostly from those who haven't any previous bike / e-bike experience.

I'm sure the current Crossfire still isn't perfect, but there do seem to be an awful lot of happy riders out there. Even so, I'd buy the Faro in preference too!

Deadeye

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2020
That's probably a little unfair now: Yes, there were lots of electrical issues on earlier versions, mostly about the power cutting out unexpectedly. But Halfords made lots of revisions to the Crossfire in 2019... (new frame, battery, controller, vfr thought the torque sensor too).

If you read the current Crossfire reviews on Halfords (as I just have), yes, there are still one or two electrical related complaints, but the majority of negative reviews seem to be general bike maintenance issues, sloppy PDI assembly, and a few which are clearly just unrealistic customer expectations or plain ignorance... mostly from those who haven't any previous bike / e-bike experience.

I'm sure the current Crossfire still isn't perfect, but there do seem to be an awful lot of happy riders out there. Even so, I'd buy the Faro in preference too!

I don't like the straight handle bars, too low for me on the Faro, I will take walk around Halfords and see how it goes and see how the bike feels. There is a Giant bike store near me too, I heard they are well made, made in Taiwan, apparently better than Chinese made.