Neil's Challange

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
Just got back from a nice ride but ran out of power on my Pro Connect 3 miles from home. Forget about Speed and Distance races how about one riding ebikes with flat batteries. A few hill and a good head wind would be good.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Just got back from a nice ride but ran out of power on my Pro Connect 3 miles from home. Forget about Speed and Distance races how about one riding ebikes with flat batteries. A few hill and a good head wind would be good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
..quote..."how about one riding ebikes with flat batteries"

you wouldnt say that if you had a quando (i would as i sold mine in a rash moment of do gooderism)...would he Flecc ?....

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

in my mind the reason i needed electric assistance was for "hills and a good head wind".................so if you think im going out on a 20 mile ride to flatten my batteries in preperation for this "hills and wind" ride without power... you must be barking......

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
There is a point

I found a Flat pro connect seams much harder to ride than a Salsbury and i wonder which bike would be the quickest and easiest to ride with no power left.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I found a Flat pro connect seams much harder to ride than a Salsbury and i wonder which bike would be the quickest and easiest to ride with no power left.
A good point worthy of a topic in its own right, earlier today I fitted some new pedals to my Salisbury in the garage and unable to contain my curiosity, (the battery was indoors), I nipped out the back gates without any posibility of motor assistance for a very short test run of the new pedals. To my surprise I cycled to the top of the road, (a bit hilly) no problemo - then zoomed back past my garage doors and enjoyed it all so much, did a couple more 'laps' - UPHILL! Was it the lack of weight from the absent battery? My being fresh and not at the end of a 27 to 30 mile run which is the usual time my battery shuts up shop?

I know when out on a long run on that mileage, that when the battery dies - so do I. So is it the physiological slap in the face that breaks the spirit from easy cycling and brutally thrusts one back to reality that irks so? Or here's my take on it, even though the battery is dead - there's still some residual power there to confuse the orbital gears that freewheel within the motor that in turn, turns cycling a on a dead battery to cycling through treacle. No battery present seems to make a difference; no chance of residual power interfering. There's not an element of scientific truth in that but I sense a difference - and I tell myself that's what it is.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Yer right!!

I've tried to figure this out but gave up. What I do know is there is certainly a difference.

On one of my rides there is a mile and a half very slight downslope ( it's an old rail trackbed). I always toggle the power off on the wisper on that part of the route, easily maintaining 20 mph on pedal power alone. If I leave the power on its hard work.

That's just one good thing about the Wisper, The toggle on/off power switch is just inboard of the throttle. And by the way, the Mistral responds in a similar way with the mode switch in the central position.

All the best

Bob

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
...I always toggle the power off on the wisper on that part of the route, easily maintaining 20 mph on pedal power alone. If I leave the power on its hard work...
I was thinking along similar lines yesterday, (Wednesday), as I bombed along enjoying myself on the level at a 'comfortable' 20mph with the battery power ON and upped things a bit to see if I could hit 25mph. After 22.5 mph it started to seem like hard work, besides the gradient/wind effect must have changed and my speed started heading south until I was comfortable at a continuous 14.5mph. I realise that over 15mph there's absolutely no assistance whatsoever from the motor, so today went out on one of my non-motor pushbike's to see how much faster I would travel over the same '22.5mph route' on a lighter, faster bicycle for approximately the same wattage in energy output.

- Could only manage the same on that stretch! And I'm sure I 'struggled' to reach that 22.5mph :eek:
Strange :confused: What to make of that? Dunno really.

I regularily hit 16 and 17 mph on the Salisbury on a slight incline near my house no matter the wind conditions - well outside assistance level, let's be clear about that - you won't get that from the Salisbury without spinning at quite a vigorous cadence. Still, I was comfortable enough to contemplate whistling as there was no drain in my energy at all. At times I chuckle to myself when I am reminded that the Salisbury is considered to have a low-powered motor perhaps only achieving 12 or 13mph in conditions where a more powerful e-bike would maintain the magical 15mph barrier.

Last edited: