new 12 ah panasonic battery

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've just posted more information and prices for the batteries here. We're taking advanced orders and deposits on these items now so that we know how many to order in for next Spring.

Kalkhoff New Battery Technology - 8Ah, 12Ah and 18Ah Lithium electric bike batteries

PS The German caption reads "For every need, the right battery".
Nice graphics showing double the number of charge cycles, nearly double the capacity and double the shelf life. It's disappointing to see that these brave and groundbreaking claims aren't backed up with any increase in warranty period. Is this an indication of the confidence the manufacturer had in these claims?

For now, I'll take it as five hundred quid for 2 years cycling. I don't mean to be rude, but blow smoke up someone elses chuff with the meaningless charts.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Nice graphics showing double the number of charge cycles, nearly double the capacity and double the shelf life. It's disappointing to see that these brave and groundbreaking claims aren't backed up with any increase in warranty period. Is this an indication of the confidence the manufacturer had in these claims?

For now, I'll take it as five hundred quid for 2 years cycling. I don't mean to be rude, but blow smoke up someone elses chuff with the meaningless charts.
:confused:
Almost all Panasonic 10Ah batteries have lasted well beyond their 2-year warranty. There are many 2007 vintage batteries still giving useful service. They don't suddenly dematerialise after 2 years have elapsed you know. We haven't had final confirmation of the new battery's warranty cover, so you are jumping to conclusions.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
:confused:
Almost all Panasonic 10Ah batteries have lasted well beyond their 2-year warranty. There are many 2007 vintage batteries still giving useful service. They don't suddenly dematerialise after 2 years have elapsed you know. We haven't had final confirmation of the new battery's warranty cover, so you are jumping to conclusions.
Good evening Tim

It depends on how you define lasts. When a consumer buys a battery with a specified capacity and specified life expectancy guaranteed for two years, that is what they are buying into. Experience shows the batteries are falling short of this.

If I only wanted to go to the top of my garden and back, then the battery may, "last" for many years beyond the warranty period. However, if you want to do anything approaching a 20 mile round trip, it won't last 2 years.

I suppose what I am saying is, that these batteries are a massively expensive consumable item. Some of the claims made regarding their performance is approaching the misleading. As a rule of thumb, my experience tells me to divide all claims by 2 and only expect to use the battery for the warranty period.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
As a leisure cyclist, the battery longevity problem is not so noticeable. Having only covered 1200 miles in 17 months, my battery deterioration through age is quite small compared to a daily commuter who's battery suffers deterioration from both age and a large amount of recharges. I'm reasonably happy with my battery but would maybe be less so if I was a daily commuter.