New and with a PAS problem!

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
I'm living in northern Italy, and just bought a rather low powered ebike (36v 7.8 aH 250w) by a company located in Turkey called RKS motors. But in my haste to try and do what I could in the short term to make this thing faster, I touched buttons on the controller that gave me a flashing Error 8 on my display. Apparently, this error relates to the PAS, and though I've been trying different button combinations to fix it, none of them seem to work because it starts blinking after making changes to the controller settings. And, that brings me to the controller, which is a MOSFET 6 36v lcd p9 display, and I can't find anyone online actively working with that model display. It seems that it could be just a variation of the popular kt over, but with slightly different programming tweeks. Anyway, I desperately like to reset this thing, because it doesn't save the settings to get the PAS going again. I'm not sure and would like to avoid disconnecting any wires going to the motor if I could. Please help!!!

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
I'm living in northern Italy, and just bought a rather low powered ebike (36v 7.8 aH 250w) by a company located in Turkey called RKS motors. But in my haste to try and do what I could in the short term to make this thing faster, I touched buttons on the controller that gave me a flashing Error 8 on my display. Apparently, this error relates to the PAS, and though I've been trying different button combinations to fix it, none of them seem to work because it starts blinking after making changes to the controller settings. And, that brings me to the controller, which is a MOSFET 6 36v lcd p9 display, and I can't find anyone online actively working with that model display. It seems that it could be just a variation of the popular kt over, but with slightly different programming tweeks. Anyway, I desperately like to reset this thing, because it doesn't save the settings to get the PAS going again. I'm not sure and would like to avoid disconnecting any wires going to the motor if I could. Please help!!!

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
Just wanted to know if there was something I could do to help my cause for getting some help with my controller issue? Is there a good chance that there's a solution on this site for what I am dealing with, without reading many pages of promising but eventually unworkable or impractical ideas on how to tackle this issue? Just asking because my controller doesn't seem to be one that's widely known or used, and because I am not a mechanic, or an electrician on bicycles. But, I still need to keep an open mind and hope for the best, despite how hard that feels for me to be right now! LOL!

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
Just wanted to know if there was something I could do to help my cause for getting some help with my controller issue? Is there a good chance that there's a solution on this site for what I am dealing with, without reading many pages of promising but eventually unworkable or impractical ideas on how to tackle this issue? Just asking because my controller doesn't seem to be one that's widely known or used, and because I am not a mechanic, or an electrician on bicycles. But, I still need to keep an open mind and hope for the best, despite how hard that feels for me to be right now! LOL!
At this point (though it hasn't been that long since I asked for help) I am ready to forgo tweaking my bike, because now I miss having the PAS I had just recently.

But, the fact that I haven't gotten any responses makes me think that my problem doesn't have an easy solution! If that's the case, then should I just buy another display and get someone to put it on?

Or, can someone give me a good search term to use, than what I have been using, so that I can find some help out there for my issue please?

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
At this point (though it hasn't been that long since I asked for help) I am ready to forgo tweaking my bike, because now I miss having the PAS I had just recently.

But, the fact that I haven't gotten any responses makes me think that my problem doesn't have an easy solution! If that's the case, then should I just buy another display and get someone to put it on?

Or, can someone give me a good search term to use, than what I have been using, so that I can find some help out there for my issue please?
Oh, and thanks to anyone who has taken the time to look and or read my posts!

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Oh, and thanks to anyone who has taken the time to look and or read my posts!
;)With respect, its a forum, not a tech support helpline..... Be patient. From experience if someone knows the answer they will let you know;)

Reactions: papakilo

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
Editing question: does anyone know how to correct / change the words that the computer insists on using? When I tried, I couldn't get a keyboard
;)With respect, its a forum, not a tech support helpline..... Be patient. From experience if someone knows the answer they will let you know;)
Right, yes I am sorry. And that's for the tip, man. I'm just feeling a little desperate, but yeah, let me chill!

Reactions: MontyPAS

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
Editing question: does anyone know how to correct / change the words that the computer insists on using? When I tried, I couldn't get a keyboard
Right, yes I am sorry. And that's for the tip, man. I'm just feeling a little desperate, but yeah, let me chill!
Thanks, Monty PAS!

Reactions: MontyPAS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a genereic Chinese controller and LCD. Unfortunately the LCD is not well known, so I can't find a manual for it. It's not from KT, so their error codes or any other LCD's error codes have no relevance.

There's an example of the same controller and LCD here for sale on Ebay. You could ask the seller if they can supply or give a link to the manual, then you can show it here on this forum to help others:

There are very few settings on any LCD that can cause an error code. One would be battery voltage, so if you see the number 24, 36 or 48 in there, check that it matches your battery.

If it's not that, maybe the error is for something else coincidental. Check that your motor connector is in all the way to the line, not just in tight, if you have the standard 9-pin connector. Also check the brake switches are definitely off - maybe disconnect them until you get your problem sorted. Check all the connections at the controller.

If none of that solves anything, you need to do all the basic tests:

1. Measure the voltage at controller's battery connector. Obviously should be battery voltage.
2. Measure the voltage on the 5v rail. You can measure that between any ground (black) and any of the reds going to throttle, PAS or motor halls. obviously, it should be around 5v.
3. Check throttle signal wire, which is the one that's not red or black. Should give about 1v to 4v when you twist the throttle. If there's more than one wire, your meter will find it. It's the one that's between 1v and 4v, assuming that it works.
4. Check that the PAS is pulsing. Measure the PAS signal wire while turning the pedals slowly. Should pulse 5v on and off every time a magnet passes the sensor. The signal wire is the one that's not red or black.
5. Check the motor hall signal wires (blue green and yellow) on the connector at the controller. They should each pulse with 5v going on and off as you rotate the wheel BACKWARDS.

If your bike passes all those tests, it will work. The test that it doesn't pass shows where the problem is.

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
It's a genereic Chinese controller and LCD. Unfortunately the LCD is not well known, so I can't find a manual for it. It's not from KT, so their error codes or any other LCD's error codes have no relevance.

There's an example of the same controller and LCD here for sale on Ebay. You could ask the seller if they can supply or give a link to the manual, then you can show it here on this forum to help others:

There are very few settings on any LCD that can cause an error code. One would be battery voltage, so if you see the number 24, 36 or 48 in there, check that it matches your battery.

If it's not that, maybe the error is for something else coincidental. Check that your motor connector is in all the way to the line, not just in tight, if you have the standard 9-pin connector. Also check the brake switches are definitely off - maybe disconnect them until you get your problem sorted. Check all the connections at the controller.

1. Measure the voltage at controller's battery connector. Obviously should be battery voltage.
2. Measure the voltage on the 5v rail. You can measure that between any ground (black) and any of the reds going to throttle, PAS or motor halls. obviously, it should be around 5v.
3. Check throttle signal wire, which is the one that's not red or black. Should give about 1v to 4v when you twist the throttle. If there's more than one wire, your meter will find it. It's the one that's between 1v and 4v, assuming that it works.
4. Check that the PAS is pulsing. Measure the PAS signal wire while turning the pedals slowly. Should pulse 5v on and off every time a magnet passes the sensor. The signal wire is the one that's not red or black.
5. Check the motor hall signal wires (blue green and yellow) on the connector at the controller. They should each pulse with 5v going on and off as you rotate the wheel BACKWARDS.

If your bike passes all those tests, it will work. The test that it doesn't pass shows where the problem is.
Have you tried contacting RKS for assistance?
Have you tried contacting RKS for assistance?
I have a draft of an email, but I haven't sent it out yet.

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Reactions: Edwardbooze

Edwardbooze

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2020
I didn't know if you got my question, but I now used your highlighted name to ask:

Do you think it better for me to buy that ebay controller, and just start afresh? I ask, because I don't know how likely it is for me to fix, unless I disconnect this controller?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I didn't know if you got my question, but I now used your highlighted name to ask:

Do you think it better for me to buy that ebay controller, and just start afresh? I ask, because I don't know how likely it is for me to fix, unless I disconnect this controller?
Which bike it is to confirm suitability????