New bike for daily commute

subhuman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2018
Sheffield
Hi

The company I work for has signed up to the Halfords Cycle2Work scheme. I've got £1k to play with in the scheme, but not sure if that's going to stretch to an eBike that'll suit my needs.

My commute is approx 5 miles each way in Sheffield. Downhill most of the way into work, uphill most of the way back - for me, the hills are a touch to much for my current fitness levels. The road quality around here is variable and potholes often need dodging :) Front suspension is a must for me.

I love the look and spec of the Cube Acid bikes - especially the styling and integrated battery but we don't seem to be able top up Cycle2Work with our own cash which is frustrating.

Any suggestions, or am I just looking for something that can't be found on my scheme constraints?

Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
5 uphill miles on the way home should be your key concern: poor weather, lower temperature etc would make the homeward leg less enjoyable. For that reason, I would not recommend a torque sensor system for you, beside its higher cost.
I would suggest you look at a simple crank drive bike with gear sensor like the Woosh Krieger.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

subhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Sheffield
Thanks Woosh, definitely a few things to think about there. Do you guys accept the Halfords C2W scheme, I didn't see it mentioned on your site (I liked the styling of the Rio when I was googling earlier this week)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No, Halfords want £150 fee for their vouchers.
I think e-bike direct take Halfords vouchers.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

subhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Sheffield
So frustrating that everything that looks viable for me, including decent hub drive is just above 1k :(

Find it a little odd that a bike only purchase (eg without battery) isn't possible to get around the quirks of these schemes.

Now starting to think that maybe just using the scheme to get a decent frame and convert myself but not sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Now starting to think that maybe just using the scheme to get a decent frame and convert myself but not sure.
Go for it! It may not look quite as slick as a Cube with integrated battery, but the really great thing about building your own is that it becomes much easier to replace or upgrade parts if they ever go wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

crizzy

Feb 9, 2018
UK
I'm pretty sure you used to be able to top up the cycle scheme voucher, has something changed?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm pretty sure you used to be able to top up the cycle scheme voucher, has something changed?
the bike shop will take your voucher and make a separate invoice for the extras - you pay the extras yourself.

subhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Sheffield
the bike shop will take your voucher and make a separate invoice for the extras - you pay the extras yourself.
If anyone reading has had experience of a shop offering some flexibility, be good to know as might make it all so much less stressful!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The best thing you can do is test ride are few different bikes, not just drives systems eg bosch middrive, hub drive but also styles eg step through, hybrid, mtb.

For commuting integrated lights, good mudguards, rack, kickstand, caffee lock are all useful features, with mudguards right at top.

Ideally hire bike for few hours.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
If anyone reading has had experience of a shop offering some flexibility, be good to know as might make it all so much less stressful!
Our own shops in the Peaks can be flexible with top-ups and work with Halfords' scheme (and many others too).

subhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Sheffield
Been to a couple of LBS and all much the same, Bosch motor around the £1500 mark, but subject to an extra 15% admin fee due to the Halfords scheme. Which is fair enough.

There were some not so subtle hints about derestriction capability :)

Halfords, not interested on ordering in anything over £1k, hard sell on their own Carrera brand but do have the Crossfire-E down to £1k at the moment, which is tempting but I need to get our and test the hub drive as I weigh about 100kg and do have hills to contend with...

D

Deleted member 4366

As you live in Sheffield, you can't be far from SYEBC, who have the rather nice Oxygen S-Cross MTB. You can try it out there and buy it from Ebikesdirect. if you want to use the CTW scheme, but it wouldn't surprise me if they offered you some arrangement at SYEBC.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Das Kit is the trade name that Ding uses. His factory made the previous version of the Oxygen MTB, so that bike should be pretty good apart from the crappy cable brakes that can be easily upgraded.
Yes,I want this bike myself but nobody will shipp to Norway.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I bought my Woosh Rio on the Bike2Work scheme which also allows up to £1,000 and I was able to just pay Hatti the difference over the phone with my debit card......easy as you like!