Help! New bike - front brakes groaning

sammyc77

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2021
I took delivery of an Oxygen S-Cross this morning, lovely bit of kit but I’m getting a horrendous groaning sound from the front brakes (hydraulic shimano). Any ideas what it could be? Didn’t help that the bike was delivered upside down in the box…apologies if this in the wrong forum.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to bed in the brake pads as do that when new as you need to get some of the brake pad marital on to the disc rotor and it should go away.

just find a big hill ;)

Reactions: sammyc77

sammyc77

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2021
you need to bed in the brake pads as do that when new as you need to get some of the brake pad marital on to the disc rotor and it should go away.

just find a big hill ;)
Well it’s definitely got a big hill or three in it’s near future :), hopefully that will do the trick. Cheers!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The upside down wouldn't have done any harm. Sometimes a bit of air can get in the pipe, which makes the lever go spongy, but bike brake cyinders are self bleeding, so the air comes back out after you press the lever a few times. that's nothing to do with your problem though. It's probably just a bit of contamination that'll burn off on the first heavy use.

It's always worth re-aligning your calipers in case they did a bad job in the factory. You should do that on any new bike. Loosen off the two caliper screws until the caliper can move sideways in the slot, then hold on the brake, which will centralise and straighten the caliper. Tighten the two screws while you're holding the brake on.