New bike info

peejay42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2017
GB
Hi all
New to forum tonight.
Have a 7 1\2 mile commute. Up and down along the South coast so need something to get up the short sharp coastal hills.
Thinking of using cyclescheme.co.uk as that is what my work use. Due to the maximum value of a £1000, I've had my eye on
Carrera crosscity (fold up and bung in back of the car for a halfway commute then just 2 short hills to climb.
Carrera vengeance - seen carrera cut outs, what are these like.
Freego hawk - look good and someone at work has got one and had for 5 years.
Wisper 705se - similar to freego
Can't do woosh as not using cyclescheme.
I'm 6ft 13st.
Interested in your views.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Folding bikes are a right pain if you're going to fold them twice a day, and the wires will probably break sooner or later. It would be much better to do the whole journey by bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We now trunk all the internal cabling through a closed stainless steel spring in our folders. We find that this has eliminated cable issues.

I agree with Dave though, far better to do the whole ride.

If the ride is hilly, you may want to consider that the Wisper SE currently has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear with a 180mm rotor on the front. Also check the battery capacity. Good value at £1099.

All the best, David

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: daveboy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
7.5 miles is a nice distance to commute by bike. A 35 to 40 min trip and a great way to start the day.
You should go for it, starting once or twice a week at first.

You'll soon be looking forward to it each day and getting much fitter quite quickly.

You can get a quote for the CTW scheme at our website and pay the excess over the limit if you're tempted by a Juicy.

peejay42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2017
GB
Thanks for the advice so far, to be honest I can ride the commute 2 or 3 days a week on my hybrid, a consideration of an electric bike would mean i could do it if its a bit windy and 3 or 4 times a week, saving fuel and wear and tear costs on the car.

Reactions: JuicyBike

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The Carrera Vengence uses a different hub motor (bafung), controller, battery(smaller capacity) and display than the Corssfire-e and Vulcan-c (which both use the Suntour HESC system), so you'll probably be OK. No reports of cutouts in the reviews on the Halfords site.

I agree with other, stick with a full size, that's what you will be use to with your hybrid. You'll probably find you'll do all of your journeys on the new ebike once you get it

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
I commute 8-9 miles each way daily when in London on my Kudos Secret. I'm 6' and just under 14st. Comfy, relatively quick (faster than the underground) and the battery gets me there and back easily. I fold and store in car boot at night. No issues to speak of so far - until I can get an e-Brompton I'm very happy with it!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for the advice so far, to be honest I can ride the commute 2 or 3 days a week on my hybrid, a consideration of an electric bike would mean i could do it if its a bit windy and 3 or 4 times a week, saving fuel and wear and tear costs on the car.
... I'm not in the trade, so not a vested interest of any sort. But a 6 to 8 mile cycle each way is exactly the sweet spot for electrically assisted commuting. Any steep hills no problem to them.. The only concern you should have is safe storage during the working day. A folder is a nice concept, but the reality lags behind, . Having once bought one, I would only do that again if I really needed to but it in a boot .