new cassette and chain???

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
Can you please help my Haibike Trekking 4 has now covered 1800 miles I am now having some problems gear changing and also chain jumping when using the 2 smallest cogs on the cassette . I suspect a new chain and cassette are needed my problem is do I change them on a like for like basis or change manufacturer and is it possible to change ratios I never use the largest gear on the cassette. Currently fitted is a Shimano hg500 11-42 teeth 10 speed cassette.

Spitz

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2020
Hi, 1800 seems quite low miles, so I would try adjusting cable tension first using the adjusters at the derailleur and/or gear change lever. Cable stretch could be the cause of your issue rather than a worn chain/cassette.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
You can change your cassette ratios, here is the same cassette:

If you change your cassette to a smaller high gear you will need to remove some links from your chain.

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
I suggest you buy a chain wear checking tool or use a ruler to measure wear on the chain, and replace the chain no later than .75% elongation, that way you'll get more life out of the cassette and chainrings. At that mileage there's a good chance the chain is worn out. Your gearchange problems are most likely down to cable adjustment though, as spitz said.

RonnieX

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2020
I covered 1000 miles on mine when the chain started jumping in the 11t cog. I was advised to get a new chain and cassette. For the sake of £4 from AliExpress i bought a new Shimano 11t cog and rverything was good again. Although I know I’ll have to replace the chain (and probably the cassette) soon.

I guess that you use 11t & 13t cogs more than any others? As those two can be replaced individually on a 10 speed cassette.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi, 1800 seems quite low miles, so I would try adjusting cable tension first using the adjusters at the derailleur and/or gear change lever. Cable stretch could be the cause of your issue rather than a worn chain/cassette.
1800 seems a lot with the bike putting out 70nm, I change my chains between 1000 and 1500 miles especially as it is not very expensive.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
A cassette should outlast at least 3 and more like 4 or 5 chains. The combined weight of me and my bike has been around 140 kg and I'm about to fit my 4th standard chain at the 4900 miles mark. 1800 for a chain is reasonable if your a bit lighter. Make a note of the mileage you change the chain at and look to put a new one on when you reach that milestone again.

I also had a problem with my chain skipping on the 11 cog when the bike had only done a few hundred miles. I let the limit adjustment screw out a quarter turn and used a dab of thread lock. It hasn't done it again.

Darren